Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Blackglass 7K (based on Darkglass Microtubes B7K)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
darkglass-b7k-bass-overdrive-preamp-main.jpg

Blackglass B7K: based on Darkglass Electronics Microtubes B7K

Model of a Scandanavian analog bass preamp, famous for its overdrive, transparency and versatility. It's very popular among bass players, covering the spectrum from crystal clear powerful tones to modern crushing bass distortion.

Darkglass Electronics:
The Microtubes B7K takes the powerful dynamic saturation circuit of the B3K and adds a four-band equalizer and a balanced line driver for even greater versatility. Designed for both studio and live use, it will take your direct sound to a whole new level".​

The B7K "Ultra" (not modeled) added additional EQ controls.

User manual

Review on Bass-Pedals.com

Review in Gitarre & Bass (German)

Sometimes begging works! :) The B7K model was added by Fractal Audio after many forum members kept asking for it. The model isn’t yet mentioned in the current Owner’s Manual.

The real B7K can be used standalone for recording or direct-to-mixer. Or as an overdrive pedal into a bass amp. Or with a separate power amp and cabinet.
Likewise, Fractal Audio’s model can be used with a virtual amp and cab model, or without.

The original pedal has a lot of controls:
  • Blend: mixes the clean signal with the overdriven signal (model: Mix)
  • Level: volume of overdriven signal (model: Level)
  • Drive: amount of gain (model: Drive)
  • Attack: amount of treble to saturate (model: Tone)
    • Boost
    • Flat *
    • Cut
  • Grunt: amount of bass to saturate (model: Low Cut)
    • Fat
    • Thin *
    • Raw
  • Low (100 Hz), Low Mids (1 kHz), Hi Mids (2.8 kHz), Treble (5 kHz) (model: EQ controls)
Fractal Audio:
The model was obtained with the Attack and Grunt switches in the middle positions. The Grunt switch changes the low-cut frequency therefore the Low Cut control can be used to replicate this switch. The Attack switch controls a shelving filter on the input and can be replicated using the Tone control".​

In other words, the B7K model was modeled with Grunt set to “Thin”, so you probably want to adjust the Low Cut parameter.

The Drive block allows us to adjust far more things than the modeled unit: Bias, Slew, Mix, High Cut and other parameters are available to us. But that's beyond the scope of this thread. Those parameters are discussed in the manual and wiki.

About CPU:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The B7K requires a moderate amount (9-10%).
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
Nice Yek

This works verry well
  • Blend: mixes the clean signal with the overdriven signal (model: Mix)
  • Level: volume of overdriven signal (model: Level)
Try setting the Drive at 8 - 10 and Mix at 25 - 30 %. And then use the level knob 6 - or 8 to add Drive/the good stuff. Or set the Level way down.

Hi Yek,

The medium position of the switch Darkglass original pedal is "boost", I do not understand.

In what position you have done the simulation?

Thanks

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi Yek,

The medium position of the switch Darkglass original pedal is "boost", I do not understand.

In what position you have done the simulation?

Thanks
We dont get to try the boost position. The Axe Fx II dont have that as a model

Thanks Seed.

The normal position in Blackglass 7K Tone control would be in 5 or 0 position?

Anyone have any idea why this block would behave different level-wise in the Axe 3 versus the FM3? I dialed in my tone on the FM3 with the Mix at 40% and the Level at 5, and on the Axe 3 with identical settings it’s so quiet. I ended up using Filter blocks to keep the top end separate and then I put the Mix at 100% and cranked the Level.
The Axe Fx III and FM3 are not at parity... The Drive block was overhauled for the Axe Fx III but not (yet) for the FM3 as far I'm aware.

Back
Top Bottom