Fractal Audio DRIVE models: Treb Boost (based on Dallas Rangemaster)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The contents of this thread, including updates, are available as a PDF Guide. Download it here.

TRB.png

Treb Boost: based on Dallas Rangemaster

The ’65 Dallas Rangemaster device was designed as an accessory for amplifiers from the same manufacturer. It brightens the amp's sound, similar to the Top Boost feature for early Vox amps. It’s not a pedal, it sat on top of the amplifier.

Guitar players soon started using it for another reason: to push an amp into distortion. Its emphasis on certain frequencies makes the germanium-equipped Rangemaster a non-clean boost, which still stays close to the amp's raw tone (unlike a fuzz). It’s a very simple circuit and many clones exist, but because it’s so rare people pay thousands of dollars for an original. A popular clone is made by Analog Man: Beano Boost.

Famous Rangemaster users include Rory Gallagher, Ritchie Blackmore, Brian May, Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath's Paranoid!) and Billy Gibbons.

Wikipedia:
“The Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster was an effects unit made for guitarists in the 1960s. Its function was two-fold: to increase the signal strength of the guitar going into the amplifier, and to increase tones at the high end of the spectrum (a treble booster).

The need for a treble booster arose in the mid-1960s as british amplifiers such as the Vox AC30 or Marshall JTM45, tended to produce a slightly dark, muddy sound when overdriven, particularly when used with humbucking pickups. Apre-amplifier that also boosted treble proved a solution.

The Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster was first made in the 1960's by Dallas Musical Ltd., incorporated in 1959. It made guitars and amplifiers under different brand names, including Dallas, Shaftesbury, and Rangemaster.

The unit is simple, and consists of a grey metal box with an on/off switch, a potentiometer for the booster setting, and an in- and output. It is made to stand on top of an amplifier rather than on the floor. Its circuitry is simple, and contains (besides the potentiometer--usually 10K, sometimes 20K--and the on/off switch) only a germanium transistor, four capacitors, three resistors, and a battery. The transistor was a Mullard or unbranded OC44 or Mullard OC71.

By the 1980s Treble Boosters had gone out of fashion. How many Rangemaster Treble Boosters were built is unknown. Due to limited supply on the second hand market they are collectible, even if the going rate is only a fraction of what it used to be in the mid-2000s. In Premier Guitar, Kenny Rardin describes his quest for one of the effects, which started with puzzlement over how Eric Clapton and Ritchie Blackmore achieved their tone; he spent years looking for a Rangemaster.

Rumours of Eric Clapton having used a Rangemaster Treble Booster during his stint with John Mayall's Blues Breakers have never been confirmed. Photos of the recording sessions of the "Blues Breakers With Eric Clapton" exist, but a Rangemaster Treble Booster is not visible in any of them. It is assumed the rumours started in the late 90's when clones of the Rangemaster Treble Booster.”

If you want to read more about vintage effects, I recommend Analog Man’s Guide to Vintage Effects, written by Tom Hughes (For Musicians Only), a joy to read.

Articles about the Dallas Rangemaster:
The Rangemaster has an On/Off switch and a Set knob which controls the amount of boost and is often set at maximum.

Fractal Audio’s Treb Boost model is based on the Rangemaster circuit. Clip Type is Silicon, but the original was Germanium-based, so you can try that as well. The Set knob is represented by the Drive control.

Cliff:
"Boost was a switch and engaged the effect. Set was the amount of boost and is equivalent to Drive."
About CPU:
  • Fractal Audio's Drive models take up varying amounts of CPU. The Treb Boost is a moderate CPU user.
  • When a Drive block is engaged, CPU percentage will rise during playing, because CPU usage is "amplitude dependent".

Link to the list of published threads

Last edited:
That brings back memories! Back in the late '60s/early '70s I played a Strat through my trusty old AC 30 and used an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 power booster, that I modified into a Treble booster to hit the amp harder.
Had no luck finding a Rangemaster here in Germany, so I went backstage after a Rory Gallagher concert knowing he used one. I said "Hey Rory, can I please talk to you for a minute", and he replied "sure, what's up?". so I asked him if he knew where I could get a Rangemaster. He said "Go to MusicCity in Hamburg, they still have them".
We had a nice little talk, and in the end he slapped me on the back and said "Good luck, keep on playing!", which I obviously did to this day.
Next morning I phoned MusicCity, and yes, they had a Rangemaster. It really worked great into the normal channel of an AC 30, which is quiet dark, but with the Rangemaster it had just the right balance.

Cheers, Hans

That brings back memories! Back in the late '60s/early '70s I played a Strat through my trusty old AC 30 and used an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 power booster, that I modified into a Treble booster to hit the amp harder.
Had no luck finding a Rangemaster here in Germany, so I went backstage after a Rory Gallagher concert knowing he used one. I said "Hey Rory, can I please talk to you for a minute", and he replied "sure, what's up?". so I asked him if he knew where I could get a Rangemaster. He said "Go to MusicCity in Hamburg, they still have them".
We had a nice little talk, and in the end he slapped me on the back and said "Good luck, keep on playing!", which I obviously did to this day.
Next morning I phoned MusicCity, and yes, they had a Rangemaster. It really worked great into the normal channel of an AC 30, which is quiet dark, but with the Rangemaster it had just the right balance.

Cheers, Hans

Ahhh, what a great story!

Here is my favourite clip of a Rangemaster used in anger. You can see it right at the end of the video, on top of the AC30 (which is resting on 2 deck chairs........ :)).

In the clip above you hear how touch sensitive the Rangemaster is and that it cleans up well.

Last edited:
There is a brief mention of the Rangemaster used by Rory in "British Rock Guitar" by Dan Hughes from 1977, talking about how it can clean up when used with a Strat:

"He originally played the Strat (and still does occasionally) through an old Vox AC-30 bass amp, later adding a Rangemaster treble booster to give it the top he was after.

Rory says "....I use my Strat as it is, though you need a treble booster to get that raunchy thing, because the guitar is really made to be played like Gene Vincent or Buddy Holly. If you go to the other side of the wall and get a Les Paul, you can get that raunchy sound, but that’s about all you can get from it. If you want to get into a half verse of nice clean percussive country playing, you can’t do it."

There are some more details of the Rangemaster on the Geo Fex site

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom