Fractal Audio Artist Preset Series - Devin Townsend

I do agree that it seems like a general ballpark preset for this series than a specific, "Here is the Deadhead preset". He had mentioned previously that he was working on a "pack" that would include the IR he shot with Garth Richardson that would include his live sounds, GP100 sound, etc. Though, anyone who follows Devin knows a lot of the stuff he says he's going to do doesn't come to fruition. This is clearly not that, but it's still awesome. Getting a "under-the-hood" look at the EQ settings for the delays and reverb is way cool. Also interesting that he's said multiple times over the years that his sound is specifically a delay, into a reverb, into a delay and here it's a delay, into a delay, into a reverb. Very appreciative Devin/Matt/Fractal took the time to make it happen, for free no less! Looking forward to the next in the series :)

In an interview, Devin stated that the impulse responses he used on Empath were created by him and colleague. Given that no impulse responses were included, we could assume that the preset was dialed in as close as possible using a factory IR. In regards to the authenticity of the preset or if it’s what he uses, Devin has also stated that he used the Diezel Herbert model on Empath. I don’t have a guitar tuned to open C to properly test out the dirty scenes, but from what my Strat sounds like through the clean scene, I’m going to say the preset is definitely legit. The cleans sound identical, save for post processing (and he uses a lot of it), and totally nails his clean tone.

My Strat through Scene 1 sounds so good, I can’t quit playing through it! 😍

In an interview, Devin stated that the impulse responses he used on Empath were created by him and colleague. Given that no impulse responses were included, we could assume that the preset was dialed in as close as possible using a factory IR. In regards to the authenticity of the preset or if it’s what he uses, Devin has also stated that he used the Diezel Herbert model on Empath. I don’t have a guitar tuned to open C to properly test out the dirty scenes, but from what my Strat sounds like through the clean scene, I’m going to say the preset is definitely legit. The cleans sound identical, save for post processing (and he uses a lot of it), and totally nails his clean tone.

My Strat through Scene 1 sounds so good, I can’t quit playing through it! 😍

I don't have my Stormbender anymore (sold it and ordered a masterbuilt one that's been delayed), but my tele with EMGs, It's maybe a little less bright and the gain is way lower than I would have guessed. But jamming along to some of the quarantine live shows, it's pretty close to whats going on there. I found using the delay/reverb he has set up for the clean scene on the "Epic" scene gets you closer to that Deadhead intro sound though.

After playing exclusively on the “Clean” scene with my Strat for the past few days, I grabbed my PRS and gave the “Heavy” scene a try. Good Lord is that name an understatement! That scene reeks of straight balls! 😮

Next up in our Artist Preset Series is Devin Townsend! Devin has offered up his own FM3 preset that you can also load on the Axe-Fx III. It contains eight scenes including clean, breakup, grit, heavy, epic, solo, and more!

Find it here: www.fractalaudio.com/artist-preset-series

View attachment 68041
I love his sounds, I have axe 2; if anyone could translate to 2 or share his settings, I would greatly appreciate it. Even Just his amp and cab choices and settings would be great. Pics of modules etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What exactly is this “Golden Whammy”design?

Forum search is your friend... :)
Here's how to engage a simulated Whammy, without using Auto Engage.

Why? Auto Engage can sometimes be annoying, switching off the effect when you don't want to.
Also, engaging/bypassing the block through Auto Engage is sometimes audible.

I'm borrowing the "Golden Whammy" idea by Matman (Admin M@) here.

Put a Pitch block in line, set to Classic Whammy. Source = Global. Bypass Mode = Thru.
Assign the Control parameter to your pedal's external controller.

Assign the same external controller to the Mix parameter. Set Mix at zero.

In the modifier menu do this:
Start: 40
Mid: 100
End: 55
Slope: 0
Scale: 10
Offset: 100.

Make sure the Pitch bock is engaged and save the preset.

With this configuration the Pitch block (Whammy) is always active, but you won't hear it because Mix is 0%.

The modifier settings make sure that whenever you rock the pedal, Mix is immediately changed to 100% so you have a fully functional Whammy pedal and you can use its full sweep range. Plus, there's no audible "click".

Cabs just say legacy and scratchpad, can someone list his cabs? thanks.
A preset with scratchpad wouldn't work for anyone else as that's a temp location.

Legacy are the same as the ones in Axe Fx II and AX8. They're also listed in the Axe Fx III manual.

A preset with scratchpad wouldn't work for anyone else as that's a temp location.

Legacy are the same as the ones in Axe Fx II and AX8. They're also listed in the Axe Fx III manual.
well fractool is not showing any names just non descript and no numbers 'factory 1 factory 2 as ?slots, user, scratchpad, legacy (no number); so if anyone could just actually tell me it would help. I cant decipher fractool or its not stating.

Preset is a lot of fun!

My C-guitar doesn't have very high output pickups in it, so I turned the Input Drive up to around 4 and on the HEAVY scene, it's pretty damn Devy!

I normally don't get on well with other's presets, but this is definitely usable!

Thanks Dev and Fractal!

Back
Top Bottom