Fractal Audio AMP models: Wrecker Express (Trainwreck Express)

Dude...this tour so far. Whoa. Sunday was....mmmm....
That's what I hear. Only had time so far for the Slave and Carini. Probably going to stream one of the shows this weekend.

And just to keep this on topic: the Wrecker has been one of my favorite amps in the Axe forever. I'm psyched Trey's using them. Interesting quote from the article you linked that should be of value to anyone here using it whether or not they like Phish:

"Fischer also built instability into the amplifiers, believing that harmonic complexity in an amp’s voice to be in direct relation to its level of instability."

I have been going down the rabbit hole in learning more about the Trainwreck amps and Ken Fischer. Let’s just say, I can see why Trey loves them so much. I came across this great quote from him from an interview on YouTube:

Another characteristic I wanted from my amplifiers is the amplifier’s ability to sustain any kind of guitar infinitely without using any kind of sustain, distortion, or boost boxes, or active electronics of any sort.

@iaresee I should share my “Trey Wreck” preset with you — pretty happy with how it’s sounding. Still dialing things in with my new rig but loving the tones I’m getting. Just got a Fryette LX II and a custom 2x12 cab from Zilla loaded with F12-X200’s.

View attachment 105637
I’ve been traveling for work and haven’t had a chance to try the Chiron with the Wreckrr yet. Can’t wait.

I’ve been traveling for work and haven’t had a chance to try the Chiron with the Wreckrr yet. Can’t wait.
I've spent the past several days playing the Chiron into the Rocket, big fun I tell you!
Turn the guitar way way down, it's almost clean, but nicely not.
Turn it up gradually, gets more and more, dunno the word, maybe LOUD, or something, and keeps getting more and more so as you keep going.
When you think you're all the way there, you're probably not, there's more.
So. Cool.

@iaresee I should share my “Trey Wreck” preset with you — pretty happy with how it’s sounding. Still dialing things in with my new rig but loving the tones I’m getting. Just got a Fryette LX II and a custom 2x12 cab from Zilla loaded with F12-X200’s.

View attachment 105637
I know this is an older thread, but that setup looks amazing and I just had too comment. Also, I'd love to try out your Trey preset if you'd be willing to share! I personally struggle dialing in his tones, and would appreciate it a lot!

Try the Comet Concourse model instead, with or without a drive pedal. It is close to the Express tonally but it's tighter.
Are there any pedals you like with the Concourse in particular?

For reference, I really like the touch sensitivity of the FAS Wreck and FAS Express, and kind of like how wild the "Wreck" amp models can get. But I can see how a tighter version of it would be useful for higher gain or for settings that are a bit noisier. But the idea of setting scenes up for a clean, crunchy, and high-gain would benefit with the higher-gain stuff having a tighter sort of delivery.

I'll play with the different OD/distortion pedals in the Axe FX, but would love to hear any pedals or settings you've found useful for the Concourse (or any hints for the amps modeled from Ken Fischer).

Back
Top Bottom