Fractal Audio AMP models: Vibrato Lux (Fender Vibrolux, 6G11)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *

Vibrolux.jpg

VIBRATO LUX: based on Fender Vibrolux (6G11 circuit)

This model is based on a rare brownface Fender Vibrolux (not the Vibrolux Reverb), which were produced between 1961 and 1963 only.

It’s the period between the Tweed and Blackface models: ’59 - ’63. Brown Fenders sound cleaner than the Tweed amp, but still warmer and dirtier than the blackface models. Like the Tweed amps, brownface amps are very collectible. More information

The Vibrolux is famous because Mark Knopfler used one to record Sultans of Swing. More info

Cliff:
"Early Dire Straits tone is a Vibrolux (Vibrato Lux model). The Vibrato Lux model is based on the same model and year amp used on the eponymous album. There's a cab in there too."​

It is rated at 35 watts and has 6L6 power tubes, two inputs and a Normal and a Bright channel. The Bright channel has been modeled.

Fractal Audio models are always based on the input with the highest input level. To get the equivalent of using the lower input, set Input Trim to 0.500.​

The controls on the Bright channel are: Volume, Bass and Treble, plus vibrato controls. There's no Bright switch.

Note that the range of most Fender models is 1 to 10, while the model controls range from 0 to 10. For the OCD-crowd, here's a translation table, created by forum member Barhrecords.​

I turn down Bass a little, increase Treble a little and that's it: a great vintage Fender tone.

The Vibrolux was available as a 1x12 combo or with a single or dual 10” speakers. We’ve got these as stocks cabs: #005, #082 and #90.

Last edited:
For those Knopfler fans out there, here are some small clips of him playing through his Vibrolux:
  • a snippet of him playing through his Vibrolux (and a '54 strat) on a BBC documentary about the Stratocaster (this one is on Ingo Raven's site)
  • And another even smaller snippet with a hint of the Sultans lick.
  • And finally a (slightly embarrassing) one of him playing with UK comedian Bill Oddie (you can just see a glimpse of the amp over Knopfler's left shoulder - not the Vibroverb that Oddie plays)
I guess we all have our favourite 'private moments' with the Axe. Mine is playing a bit of Sultans through the Vibrolux :)

I'm surprised there's not more love out there for this amp - it's my 'go to' on the Axe. I think it sounds great with the input trim cranked as well as for cleaner stuff.

Jon Fogerty, of whom I am a massive fan, used these on many of the CCR studio recordings. He played a Les Paul which is maybe why I need to crank the input trim to get in the same ballpark with my Tele.

Guys why I'm not getting the same distortion from this amp like some video I watched? Namely this one

I have mimicked all the settings but on the axe fx it's a ton cleaner...
EDIT: I'm able to reacreate similar tone with input trim at 5.

Last edited:
Guys why I'm not getting the same distortion from this amp like some video I watched? Namely this one

I have mimicked all the settings but on the axe fx it's a ton cleaner...
EDIT: I'm able to reacreate similar tone with input trim at 5.

Might be just higher output pickups, he got there.
Also, he is using a Tube screamer, according to the website (Did you add a tube screamer?).

Also, not sure if that's relevant here, but do note that the Master volume in the axe is not exactly the same as on real amps....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that's what I though, but the tubescreamer is engaged later in the video (btw he has crazy settings, everything is on 10 but the level on 3). On the axe the master volume is already on 10. But you have a point here, I rised my pickups, I have splitted humbucker, probably I have less output. I actually found a great tone this way! Drive on 7, input trim still on 4...
Maybe you are you saying that I could increase the master volume trim? I'll try that!

Last edited:
Maybe you are you saying that I could increase the master volume trim? I'll try that!
What I'm saying is, that I've read somewhere that many amp master pots are so: They get really loud at low settings, but don't go that much louder when you go crank them up. That might be so to give you an impression that it's a really loud amp.
The master knob on the axe is coded to be perceived as linear.
So, a 3 on the amp might be the same as like 6 on the Axe FX or something like that...
Though I might be completely wrong. I'll research it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do some more reading -- Knopfler used this amp on the demo of Sultans. The recorded version is a Twin.
You know this 100% to be true. Like, Mark told you this himself with all recollection of what he used in the studio over 40 years ago?

BTW, you replied to a 6 year old thread.

Back
Top Bottom