Fractal Audio AMP models: USA Sub Blues (MESA/Boogie Subway Blues)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *

Subwayblues.png

USA Sub Blues: based on MESA/Boogie Subway Blues

MESA (or: MESA/Boogie) is a very famous amp manufacturer, founded by Randall Smith in ‘71 in California. More company information.

Some of the amps carry the MESA name (Rectifiers, Lone Star), while others have a MESA/Boogie label (Bass 400, Mark series, Triaxis, Subway).​

MESA is known for its amplifiers with loads of features. The Subway Blues is something else. It’s part of the Subway series by MESA: portable, simple amps. Targeted at the blues and therefore often compared to amps such as the Fender Blues Junior.

MESA:
“New York City. Here are a few combos so compact, you can carry one on your right shoulder, your guitar on the left, your subway change in one hand and still have one hand free...for your weapon of choice. And if you get where you're going, you'll be amazed at how huge it sounds.”​

It uses two EL84 tubes to generate 20 watts of power and has built-in reverb.

The controls are Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble and Reverb.

It has a Bright and a FAT voicing, through separate inputs or (in later models) a switch. I'm not sure whether the FAT voicing can be obtained by engaging the FAT switch in the model.

It's nice amp for clean tones IMHO. When turned up in overdrive, it gets boxy though.

Here’s the manual.

The Subway Blues combo comes with a 10” Eminence Black Shadow speaker. Try the stock 10” Princeton cabs, or the Blues Junior cab.

Last edited:
MESA:
“New York City. Here are a few combos so compact, you can carry one on your right shoulder, your guitar on the left, your subway change in one hand and still have one hand free...for your weapon of choice. And if you get where you're going, you'll be amazed at how huge it sounds.”​

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't fancy carrying a combo amp over my shoulder!

Just curious ....but why would anybody want to buy an amp anymore ..I don't know...unless you got a sponsor or your Cliff or one of the Fractal engineering dudes that need to engineer an amp from someone who wants their old amp put into a new Firmware update.....after I got the AXE FX 2 & the AX8 I sold all my amps..:cool:

Last edited:
@cyberk9

I find pleasure in both. I primarily use the Axe because it sounds phenomenal and is incredibly accurate and versatile, but there is still something about having the real thing. Just the pleasure and magic of having it in front of you and turning real knobs. There's just something about them. The Axe has its own magic, too. There's space in this world for both :cool:

Back
Top Bottom