Fractal Audio AMP models: USA Pre (MESA/Boogie TriAxis)

The absolute best Triaxis tones (clean, crunch, & lead) I've ever heard are from John Petrucci's instructional video - Rock Discipline.

Sample:

Full Video:

The tones from this 1998 clinic at Musicians Institute are great as well:

The JPM is Still the best Ibanez ever. The triaxis is still in production, correct? They hold their value extremely well.

So, on the actual Triaxis, according to the manual, the presence control does two jobs at once, the first being a reverse high cut filter and the 2nd being a dynamic presence control, right?

Unless I read it wrong, the manual says that with presence at low values, harder playing darkens the tone while at high values, harder playing brightens the tone.

So basically, to simulate the Triaxis' actual Presence control set low, you would need to set the Bright control low and the Dynamic Presence lower than noon, while to simulate the Traxis' Presence control set high, you would want to raise the Bright value (while still keeping it at a max of noon, or 0.0) and setting the Dynamic Presence to a value of greater than noon?

Wish green 1 lead was modeled that was my favorite mode in my triaxis awesome lead tone with a ts of in front. Reminded me of the lonestar with more aggressive mids and less boomy low end

Has anybody A/B'd an Axe-Fx and a Triaxis in the same rig with tube amp + cab recently?

There are a few comparison videos on youtube but the latest one is from something like 4 years ago, and now the Axe-Fx is basically a completely different machine than it was then.

I mean I'm sure that if any model is accurate, it's probably the Triaxis due to it being the main component of Cliff's live rig for a decade and all, so I don't doubt it's realism. I think it would be neat to hear a comparison first hand though.

Last edited:
I recently uploaded this track to my YouTube channel.
It uses the triaxis yellow.
This amp is very tight so it works very well for 8 strings and low tunings in general.
No tube screamer needed!

I can confirm that for me, a total Mesa layman, the Yellow worked instantly, what was not the case with other Mesa/Boogie models. This amp channel/model is really special.

Has anybody A/B'd an Axe-Fx and a Triaxis in the same rig with tube amp + cab recently?

There are a few comparison videos on youtube but the latest one is from something like 4 years ago, and now the Axe-Fx is basically a completely different machine than it was then.

I mean I'm sure that if any model is accurate, it's probably the Triaxis due to it being the main component of Cliff's live rig for a decade and all, so I don't doubt it's realism. I think it would be neat to hear a comparison first hand though.

I can. I've owned two Triaxis; one with the TX4 Fat Mod, and the other with the TX5 board.

As of the current firmware, the modes modeled in the Axe II (excluding Lead 1 Red) are indistinguishable from the real deal in both tone and feel. Any differences are extremely small and must be considered along with the fact that my two Triaxis units sound slightly different from each other. And I've put the models under a microscope. I can't compare the Lead 1 Red mode model to either of my units, since the model is for the TX4 without the Fat Mod.

I would LOVE the Lead 1 Green and Yellow modes as well. Lead 1 Red TX4 with Fat Mod would be another wish, although the Recto models might cover this territory.

Right now, Lead 2 Green (and perhaps Yellow) is my go-to model for solos. Instant Holdsworth.

Wish green 1 lead was modeled that was my favorite mode in my triaxis awesome lead tone with a ts of in front. Reminded me of the lonestar with more aggressive mids and less boomy low end

I tend to agree. But the clean channel 1 Green and de the Lead 2 Yellow are modelled which already made me very happy.

My personal favorite modes of the Triaxis V2.0 where:
  • Clean1 - Green: for that Fenderish bluesy sound (perfectly modeled by Fractal).
  • The Lead 1 Green mode was also good but seemed to me just an additional gain step on top of clean. (try to combine the clean 1 slightly overdriven with an RC booster ;-)
  • Lead1 - Yellow: which reminded me of a vintage mid-oriented Marshall (However, it is obtainable via other amp models)
  • Lead2 - Green: for a classic soaring Boogie sound which might be an actual contender due to its uniqueness...
  • Lead 2 - Yellow: which was my favorite Santana alike lead sound for years (already modeled)
I have played with the Mesa Boogie Triaxis for 10+ years and it still brings a smile to my face. So i am very happy to have some of these sounds back in a studio format ;-)

Please note that the Triaxis always has been a little more compressed compared to a regular amp but most guitar players like this compression due to the ease of playing.

Last edited:
Wonderful preamp and the Axe models sound spot on, with the added versatility of being able to use the 5 band GEQ instead the dynamic voice control. Here's a video I put together recently with 5 of my favourite tones from the Triaxis.

I don´t understand this: "I can nail the sound of my Triaxis now by setting it (Bright) around 9:00 - 10:00."

Is 9:00-10:00 o'clock or 9-10 number?

Thanks for the video, Leon, there are some great tones in there. How would you best translate those settings into the Axe3, and which cabs would you use with each of the modes? I'm thinking ultra clean, crunch rhythm, and soaring lead like you had with the multi-delay applied.

"With the GAIN Control at 10 and the Midrange also high, this mode is one of the coolest solo sounds around. Reduce the Bass a little and dial in the Treble to set your pick attack, and you have a touch-sensitive lead mode that won’t completely saturate your guitars’ natural sound."

It seems counter intuitive to turn the drive up to 10 on a clean amp, but it works great on this one. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom