Fractal Audio AMP models: USA IIC+ and IIC++ (MESA/Boogie Mark IIC+)

@dumbeat Have you ever owned a Mesa Boogie Mark series amp? I have a Mark III, purchased new in 1989. It really is complex and finicky to dial in. ...and worth it when you get the good stuff. Cliff was just being thorough in letting us know what's behind the curtain.

I kindly disagree. Mr. Randall built a design to be used in a certain way.
Its like dropping a bunch of food ingredients on a table and telling me its a model of a great chef's meal- cook it- its all there. Im not supposed to cook that chef's meal and guess which ingredients he used, or at least not from the building blocks level. Granted, an advanced feature is awesome, but there should also be a simplified "Authentic" layout in my opinion, to complete the modeling experience. These models should not be more difficult to use than the actual amps modelled.

Last edited:
Shrug. The Mark series models in the Axe work exactly like the real thing. Nothing more to say....

I dont doubt that on a technical level, But it's certainly not labeled and layed out in the same way. It is still my opinion that layout is 50% of the model experience. Especially for quick on the fly tweaks, which all players do all the time...

For people who are used to use certain amps and looking to replace them with the Models on the AxeFx (And who are not trained Amplifier technicians), it looks like you need to really learn the inside and outs of the design technicalities to even get your basic setting on, say, a IIC+.
Wouldn't it be so much more useful, fast, practical and intuitive for players who are not Amp techs to simply have each modeled amp LOOK like the original or at least labeled the same? As it is described above by Cliff, it almost feels like buying a kit and having to build your amps if it was in the real world.

Everything can be dialed in using the same controls as on the front panel of the actual MESA amp.
The controls are the same.

But the Axe-Fx offers more for those who want to, which always has been the case and discussed so often.

Matching the real amps (visually, control names) is much more (custom) work, and increases the risk of infringement. Also, even the actual amps vary from edition to edition.

Everything can be dialed in using the same controls as on the front panel of the actual MESA amp.

But the Axe-Fx offers more for those who want to, which always has been the case and discussed so often.

Matching the real amps (visually, control names) is much more (custom) work, and increases the risk of infringement. Also, even the actual amps vary from edition to edition.

What about color highlights and renaming? That might exclude the infringement issue... I still do believe that some are more tech Savvy than others. I LOVE the fact that there are more controls and you can "Hot Rod" the model yourself, thing is, for the more intuitive tweak, on the fly, like we always do, i think it could be played out better and also do more justice top the genius of the original design/designer, by knowing what and how he layed out the stuff.

It’s the designer who came up with the concept as it is, allowing us much further control of amps than available with the real equivalents.

For dumbed down copycats, you should look at other products.

It’s the designer who came up with the concept as it is, allowing us much further control of amps than available with the real equivalents.

For dumbed down copycats, you should look at other products.

Its not about dumbed down, its about intuitevly operating the design as designed,Otherwise why did he even model those amps? All he should have done is give us a set of parameters to build are own.,.? Your logic is unclear here...

What about color highlights and renaming? That might exclude the infringement issue... I still do believe that some are more tech Savvy than others. I LOVE the fact that there are more controls and you can "Hot Rod" the model yourself, thing is, for the more intuitive tweak, on the fly, like we always do, i think it could be played out better and also do more justice top the genius of the original design/designer, by knowing what and how he layed out the stuff.
Color highlights, control layouts, names, and look of the GUI do nothing to improve the sound.

IK Media VSTs and others give you visuals if you want them, but not the sound. Helix gives you some of the names and not always all of the sound.

If it's between audio performance and visuals, I will pick the audio every time. Most of us who pick Fractal feel the same way.

If you want to know how things line up between Fractal speak and the real amp, there's Yek's Guide and the WIKI.

If you have a better idea of how the controls work and behave within a given circuit, then it's easier to dial in the model to simulate an amp that may have very different part tolerances than the amp you experienced in real life or heard in a recording or concert.

@yek
HUGE!!! fan of the Boogie Mark series - bought my first in the early 80s. Currently using a Five 25 in my small room.

1DwFoAo.jpg

Amazing job with this mate!

This is correct. I had a hard time dialing in a IIC+ sound but when I put the knobs to the same settings as John Petrucci, it sounded fine. The trouble I had was that I run it in 4cm and My Mark IV (actual amp) is a lot darker. That messed with my ears a bit. I adjusted the tonestack frequency to around 250hz on the IIc+ and it sounds great now. The AXE FX has so many options to change the tone and feel of the amp (tonestack freq, supply sag, high and low cut, etc). You just have to tweak it until you find your sound.

Back
Top Bottom