Fractal Audio AMP models: Tube Pre

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *

Tubes.jpg

TUBE PRE: based on a generic preamp tube

This is not the model of a guitar amplifier. It’s a generic model of a preamp tube (model: Ideal Tetrode), completely neutral and low-gain.

You can this model to “warm up” a source, such as an acoustic guitar or a synth.

You can also use it to operate as a poweramp-only model. For example if you want to use a physical preamp pedal with your AX8 or Axe-Fx II.

Cliff's comments:

"The Tube Pre model is neutral. The "Vintage" tone stack is flat. The Tube Pre model uses the Vintage tone stack. The Vintage tone stack is a passive EQ model but it has a flat response when the controls are at noon. If you want "active" EQ you need to set the type to Active.”​

"If you only need power amp modeling, for example when using an external pre-amp through the Axe-Fx, use the Tube Pre model. It uses the Vintage tonestack which is flat when the tone controls are at noon."​
EDIT: in firmware Ares 14.00 and later, the power amp in this model is turned off by default.

Last edited:
I always use Tube pre for bass. Also for recording. I like it better than any of the bass amps in the Axe. I also use it for acoustic guitar and my sitar. I always use it without a cab block.

I wonder however if the Tube pre is completely neutral? I think it does color the sound.

I always use Tube pre for bass. Also for recording. I like it better than any of the bass amps in the Axe. I also use it for acoustic guitar and my sitar. I always use it without a cab block.

I wonder however if the Tube pre is completely neutral? I think it does color the sound.

The tone stack by default is neutral.

The preamp model and power amp model do add color.

TUBE-PRE
And a preamplifier that if missing do not know how I would do
It seems strange, but it is a nice jolly :)

I use this model a lot. Both for acoustic but also for those ultra clean straight to desk funky guitar tones. I believe Chic's Le Freak and the rhythm guitar in another brick in the wall was recorded like this.

I actually thought, it was the input stage of a tube driven console or a generic tube studio preamp that was modelled by this one. I guess I was a bit off on that one, but I still love the model.

Ok, so what are the settings to get is as neutral as can? What can I do? Set gain to 0.5 and set preamp bias to 0.0 and so on?

Keep the tone controls at default. That's it. It's a very low-gain tube simulation. It doesn't create distortion.

Back
Top Bottom