Fractal Audio AMP models: Tube Pre

Firmware Ares 14.00 (Axe-Fx III):

"The Tube Pre model has been changed so that the power amp is off by default"

Last edited:
makes sense. I guess i could look at the parameters for an amp & copy them to the pwr amp section.

I take screen shots of for example the Super Lead Power Amp parameters, and plug them into the Tube Pre, select a neutral tonestack like active or studio, leave the Tube Pre's tonestack flat (all 12:00), and since there are additional virtual gain stages, I sometimes lower the Input Trim and don't run the Master Volume much over 8.50 max (for compression and color), or less for higher gain preamps. At this point I only use the Presence and Depth controls as appropriate, and tweak from there (save the Amp Block when finished etc).

Compared to the Torpedo CAB's tube power amp sims, the Axe II running Ares 2.x can sound less generic and more application specific, though the CAB's sound nice as well. I typically use the Marshall Super Lead or Friedman Dirty Shirley (6L6's) virtual power sections with the Rocktron Valvesonic Plexi for Marshall stuff, and Fender Tweed HP Twin or Fender Bassman virtual power sections when doing Fender stuff with it (JTM 45 mode with virtual Fender cabs and speakers).

The Rocktron Valvesonic can get you extra Afterburner gain and compression to simulate hitting the Phase Inverter hard in a real tube amp (which is the most pleasing contributor when hammering a tube power section), so you can get away with using less gain in the Axe FX's virtual tube power section, and use it more for tonal color via it's impedance curve, plus freq attributes via the Presence and Depth controls (plus the other parameters as needed etc).

Try it...

Back
Top Bottom