Fractal Audio AMP models: Tube Pre

No worries. Though changing the tonestack on a "real" amp would be a pretty significant customization.

@barhrecords your name does get butchered a bit from time to time. :)

I've been trying to recreate the fuzz-like sounds with the Tube Pre that f. ex The Doors had in their few albums. At the time (1967) they didn't have any fuzz pedals so they were cranking gain and overdriving the tube mixer inputs. Not sure how much different it is compared to the cab mic pre-amp. I just like all the extra eq's and options that the amp sim has. Try it out!

Just add add an Amp block with Tube Pre sim after your cab block. You can also try it without a cab block. If it sounds too harsh or muffled, lower bass and/or drive. If too dark, crank the treble. I love the Axe FX being able to produce sounds like this in a live situation without having a guy cranking the gain behind the mixing table.

Here is an example off fuzz-like sounds created with cranking the tube inputs on a mixer:

Last edited:
I've been trying to recreate the fuzz-like sounds with the Tube Pre that f. ex The Doors had in their few albums. At the time (1967) they didn't have any fuzz pedals so they were cranking gain and overdriving the tube mixer inputs. Not sure how much different it is compared to the cab mic pre-amp.
You definitely want the preamp in the Cab block.

I've been experimenting with the tube pre, from day one, using it with an amp block. I'll leave the tube pre settings at default and play with the gain on the amp block for specific breakup. It creates a warmer more fluid tone, without boom.

I've been experimenting with the tube pre, from day one, using it with an amp block. I'll leave the tube pre settings at default and play with the gain on the amp block for specific breakup. It creates a warmer more fluid tone, without boom.
So, using it as a drive pedal of sorts, prior to the amp, to warm it all up?

What settings have you guys found to make the Tube Pre's preamp section as transparent as possible?

I'm taking my rig to a friend's place soon who has a Triaxis, and I'd like to be able to build as transparent of an Amp Block as possible so I can use it with the Triaxis as a preamp into the Axe-Fx's poweramp emulation for convincing direct recording, while keeping the Triaxis' tones as true as possible before the poweramp.

Last edited:
Ed, how do you setup the impedance curve for a setup like this? By ear?
In as much dialing it on Axe Edit is by ear since you can actually see the bass bump and high shelf.
But yes, I start with 100 Hz and anywhere between 2 and 3 k for the shelf, lift it and sweep it. Also messing with transformer match and dynamic presence.

When I compare it to a loaded down head vs. line out from a head with cab vs. Miked head the through monitors experiece for me now is identical.

You use UA stuff, right? Since ask these since really are just eq tweaks in one form or shape I started using the Townsend Labs soft as an eq tool and that imparted on an IR of a57 or real 57 on the cone works amazing as a tone shaper. Try it.... I'm so wanting their VMR type mic because if it.

In as much dialing it on Axe Edit is by ear since you can actually see the bass bump and high shelf.
But yes, I start with 100 Hz and anywhere between 2 and 3 k for the shelf, lift it and sweep it. Also messing with transformer match and dynamic presence.

When I compare it to a loaded down head vs. line out from a head with cab vs. Miked head the through monitors experiece for me now is identical.

You use UA stuff, right? Since ask these since really are just eq tweaks in one form or shape I started using the Townsend Labs soft as an eq tool and that imparted on an IR of a57 or real 57 on the cone works amazing as a tone shaper. Try it.... I'm so wanting their VMR type mic because if it.

So your reference is the Miced head and you are doing A/B... that makes sense.

For me, the impedance is an EQ thing but also affects the feel. One place where I struggle in the Fractal amps is the low end. Palm mutes on the low strings never quite have the "snap" of my real Fender amps.

There is something about IR's and low end that doesn't seem quite the same. The mids and highs seem very accurate to me.

So your reference is the Miced head and you are doing A/B... that makes sense.

For me, the impedance is an EQ thing but also affects the feel. One place where I struggle in the Fractal amps is the low end. Palm mutes on the low strings never quite have the "snap" of my real Fender amps.

There is something about IR's and low end that doesn't seem quite the same. The mids and highs seem very accurate to me.
Well if I'm using a miced amp even if I attenuate the impedance curve is still there feel wise.

Well if I'm using a miced amp even if I attenuate the impedance curve is still there feel wise
You use UA stuff, right? Since ask these since really are just eq tweaks in one form or shape I started using the Townsend Labs soft as an eq tool and that imparted on an IR of a57 or real 57 on the cone works amazing as a tone shaper. Try it.... I'm so wanting their VMR type mic because if it..
I got all excited about this, and went to demo this software on my UAD system, and it appeared that it is not being offered at the store or on the Apollo demo dropdown, although the promo still exists on the site....perhaps because the mic has not shipped yet..?

I've been trying to recreate the fuzz-like sounds with the Tube Pre that f. ex The Doors had in their few albums. At the time (1967) they didn't have any fuzz pedals so they were cranking gain and overdriving the tube mixer inputs. Not sure how much different it is compared to the cab mic pre-amp. I just like all the extra eq's and options that the amp sim has. Try it out!
]

I think Robby Krieger might also have kicked in a speaker or two on his cabs. ..I'm old enough to have seen the Doors in their late prime , one of my first rock shows, and although even as a fledgling guitarist, I knew Robby had pretty accessible chops, but of course the live show was life =changing for me, and Robby had a nice wall o amps by then (don't remember which)...and SOFT MACHINE opened!!....

how come you can't get to the vintage tone stack in any other amps? I was scrolling through them with a recto and couldn't find neutral or vintage. and they aren't alphabetical, WTF!?

Back
Top Bottom