• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Fractal Audio AMP models: Tube Pre

yek

* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *

TUBE PRE: based on a generic preamp tube

This is not the model of a guitar amplifier. It’s a generic model of a preamp tube (model: Ideal Tetrode), completely neutral and low-gain.

You can this model to “warm up” a source, such as an acoustic guitar or a synth.

You can also use it to operate as a poweramp-only model. For example if you want to use a physical preamp pedal with your AX8 or Axe-Fx II.

Cliff's comments:

"The Tube Pre model is neutral. The "Vintage" tone stack is flat. The Tube Pre model uses the Vintage tone stack. The Vintage tone stack is a passive EQ model but it has a flat response when the controls are at noon. If you want "active" EQ you need to set the type to Active.”​

"If you only need power amp modeling, for example when using an external pre-amp through the Axe-Fx, use the Tube Pre model. It uses the Vintage tonestack which is flat when the tone controls are at noon."​

Last edited:

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I always use Tube pre for bass. Also for recording. I like it better than any of the bass amps in the Axe. I also use it for acoustic guitar and my sitar. I always use it without a cab block.

I wonder however if the Tube pre is completely neutral? I think it does color the sound.

barhrecords

Axe-Master
I always use Tube pre for bass. Also for recording. I like it better than any of the bass amps in the Axe. I also use it for acoustic guitar and my sitar. I always use it without a cab block.

I wonder however if the Tube pre is completely neutral? I think it does color the sound.
The tone stack by default is neutral.

The preamp model and power amp model do add color.

spx90

Power User
TUBE-PRE
And a preamplifier that if missing do not know how I would do
It seems strange, but it is a nice jolly :)

Smittefar

Fractal Fanatic
I use this model a lot. Both for acoustic but also for those ultra clean straight to desk funky guitar tones. I believe Chic's Le Freak and the rhythm guitar in another brick in the wall was recorded like this.

I actually thought, it was the input stage of a tube driven console or a generic tube studio preamp that was modelled by this one. I guess I was a bit off on that one, but I still love the model.

yek

Ok, so what are the settings to get is as neutral as can? What can I do? Set gain to 0.5 and set preamp bias to 0.0 and so on?
Keep the tone controls at default. That's it. It's a very low-gain tube simulation. It doesn't create distortion.

Top Bottom