Fractal Audio AMP models: Tremolo Lux (Fender blackface Tremolux, AA763)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *

Tremolux.jpg

TREMOLO LUX: based on Fender blackface Tremolux, AA763 circuit

According to Fenderguru.com the Tremolux is a smaller version of the Bandmaster, which we discussed here. However, the model we have in our Axe-Fx II and AX8 devices sounds more like the '59 Bassman, IMHO.

Fenderguru:

"The blackface Fender Tremolux was produced just a few years between 1963 and 1966 and had one circuit model; the blackface Tremolux AA763. In terms of power and clean headroom it is the smallest of all the Fender piggy back amps. Its history is much less complex than the bigger Bassman and Bandmaster amps who experienced a rapid development in terms of different circuit models and tube configurations.​

The blackface Tremolux and Bandmaster (AB763) are almost identical amps, just that the Tremolux is sized for smaller events and gigs. The Tremolux had tube rectifier, while the blackface Bandmaster had diode. Both amps had tremolo but no reverb. The Tremolux speaker cabinet was 2×10″ and not 2×12″. The Tremolux had smaller transformers (power and output) than the Bassman and Bandmaster. All these things add up to an amp with less volume, less clean headroom and more sag/compression; a more forgiving tone. What does the blackface Tremolux sound like? It feels very much like the blackface Bandmaster, the normal channel of the Vibrolux Reverb and Pro Reverb or the normal channel of the earliest blackface Bassman (AA864). The sound is nice and clean and the tone remains relatively clean when one turns the volume knob. One does not reach the sweet spot as early as with the Reverb-amps with an additional gain stage in the preamp section. The Tremolux uses only one 12ax7 tube in the preamp section in both channels before the signal enters the phase inverter. The Tremolux is appreciated for its simple and basic circuit. A less complicated circuit means fewer things that can go wrong, less component drift issues, it’s easier to service and has less potential for noise problems. The Tremolux is rarer than the other blackface piggy back amps since it was produced over a shorter period of time. It was discontinued in 1966 and had no silverface models to follow. All the narrow-panel tweed, blonde and blackface Tremoluxes are very valuable today with a well-deserved collector status. The 2×10″ closed cabinet that came with the Tremolux is practically sized and performs well on most stages. Oxfords or CTS speakers were delivered with these cabinets in the blackface years. A 2×10″ cabinet is easier to carry around than a 2×12″ cabinet, and with the right (wrong) speakers it can almost get as loud as the twelves just with less spread, lower bass and mids. Jumping channels in the AA763 Tremolux can give you a wider spectrum of tones than by using just one channel. You may for example use the normal channel to deliver the bass tones and the vibrato channel for sparkling clean sound with bright switch on and zero bass. This will give you an full and meaty tone which you won’t get using just one channel. The Tremolux came without a mid pot."​

According to Wikipedia it was Fender’s first amp with built-in tremolo.

Fender released a signature re-issue around 2011: the EC (Eric Clapton) Tremolux, which is not available anymore. Here’s a clip.

Review in Vintage Guitar.

This head puts out around 35 watts through two 6L6 power tubes. It has two channels: “Normal ” and “Vibrato”. The model is based on the Vibrato channel.

The Bandmaster provides two inputs per channel. Fractal Audio models of Fender amps are always based on the input with the highest input level. To get the equivalent of using the lower input, set Input Trim to 0.500.

The original amp controls are: Treble, Bass, Volume Bright and Volume Normal, and a Bright switch. There’s no Middle tone control, so keep this at “5” in the model for authenticity. No Master Volume either, so keep the Master control in the model dimed.

Note that the range of the controls on this amp is 1 to 10, while the model's controls range 0 to 10. Here's a translation table, created by forum member Barhrecords.

Even though we already have an excellent collection of models of legendary Fender amplifiers, the Tremolux deserves your attention. It’s a great model IMHO. It stays rather clean (with single coils) for the most part part of the volume control.​

The Tremolux came as a “piggy-back”: a head and a horizontal 2x10” cabinet. Find 2x10” Fender stock cabs on this page. I like the 2x12 Vibrato Lux Mix stock cab.

Last edited:
What would I need to do in order to simulate the 12 watt EC Tremolux combo? I was just watching "I Still Do" with Eric and Glyn Johns, and I'd like to play around in that sphere for a bit.

Thanks Yek!

Last edited:
What would I need to do in order to simulate the 12 watt EC Tremolux combo? I was just watching "I Still Do" with Eric and Glyn Johns, and I'd like to play around in that sphere for a bit.

Thanks Yek!

You use the Tweed Deluxe (5E3) model and add tremolo.

The EC tremololux has a single Celestion G12-65 12" speaker, so find a 1x12" open back (Tweed Deluxe) G12-65 IR if you really want to nail that EC Tremolux tone.

Last edited:
Sounds about right on the money, thanks!
"In 2012 Fender issued an Artist Signature amplifier based on the 5E3 circuit with the addition of a tremolo effect; the Fender Eric Clapton (or EC) Tremolux."

tremolo would be power amp tremolo, right? So, tremolo block after the amp, before the cab?

I quite certain that the EC Tremolux employs the classic '50's output tube bias tremolo, so
you could use that option from within the the amp block.

But hey, experiment with the sound of the output tube tremolo vs the regular tremolo block either before or after the amp and see what you prefer for your sound.

Alright so after about an hour I think I've got it now. I like it. Really wonderfully controllable with the guitar's volume knob. I'll be tweaking it for the rest of the day, but I think I have the general jist of it. I used the amp X/Y in each scene to change the the tremolo and have a micro boost pedal in there to experiment a little bit.

Attachments

• Fender EC Tremolux.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom