Fractal Audio AMP models: Recto1 and Recto2 (Mesa Dual Rectifier, 2-ch and 3-ch)

Yes we too Love the Mesa Amps and we could dial the tones in AXE FX II to great satisfaction to our expectations and here is the sound. The Rhythm Guitar dominated song is combination of Recto + Bogner Ubershall.
Check the song on Apple Music. SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
https://itun.es/in/Aftd1?i=890057517

"The Recto1 models are based on our Rev. F (IIRC, whatever the desirable ones are).

I would agree with that statement, but the recto cognoscenti would say that the "desirable ones" seem to be rev C and D (the "pre-500s"). I've owned three of them, and personally don't like them - they were obviously released before they were ready, as two of mine were dead (I bought them to fix and resell).

IMO rev F is the first rev that is a 'ready for prime time' product, a common problem with Mesa. I don't think they sound any different, but F and later are certainly more reliable.

Reactions: yek
The "Dual" originally referred to 2 different rectifier types, tube and silicon diode, and when they first came out with what they used to refer to as the Dual Rectifier Solo head, they had other amps like the Maverick and the Blue Angel that were also labled "Dual Rectifier", even though they all sounded absolutely nothing alike. But those amps fell by the wayside and the Solo heads eventually won out. Maybe the three tubes thing is how they rationalize it now, but that's certainly not what they meant originally.
Actually I was thinking about this yesterday and did some websearch on it. Looks like I was wrong the whole time ;) Always nice to learn new things! Thanks to you too for clarifying it!!!

I've tried quite extensively to get a good tone from a recto. I was even going to post a topic on it but all I get is a fizzy mess. My palm mutes end up only sounding like half mutes with this never ending buzz under them.
I was going for a Tremonti style tone.

Never cared for the Rectos but now I've dialed them in, Orange Vintage and Modern Red, I've started to like 'm.

I use the Amp Boost on the Modern Red, and a Drive pedal.

Also, for an alternative take, try the FAS Modern III.

I've tried quite extensively to get a good tone from a recto. I was even going to post a topic on it but all I get is a fizzy mess. My palm mutes end up only sounding like half mutes with this never ending buzz under them.
I was going for a Tremonti style tone.
The real amp is the same way. It's a fizzy beast, but knowing how to set it up is the key. My Dual Rec's presence knob is either at 0 or no higher than 9 o'clock. Also, keep the treble knob between 4 and 5. One more thing, don't be a nu-metal noob and max the gain out. Keep the gain around noon or so and it will be tight as a duck's ass (and that's waterproof). ;)

I was using Tremonti's own settings. The "classic" gain on 6, mids to 4, treble on 6, bass around 7, presence about 6ish.

Thanks for the tips I'll try them out tonight.

My own personal settings:

Recto 2 Red Modern

Gain: 6.0 - 6.5 (depends on my mood)
Bass: 3
Mids 1.75
Treble: 6.0
Presence: 5.0
Master Volume: 2.0
Power Supply Sag: 2.0

And Iike I was saying, TS-808 (not 808 Mod) in front, Drive at 0, Tone at 5, Mix 100%.

I recommend the Recto Mix cab with this one, but I've been really digging the tones of the the Recto New cab from Cab Pack 14 as well.

I was using Tremonti's own settings. The "classic" gain on 6, mids to 4, treble on 6, bass around 7, presence about 6ish.

Thanks for the tips I'll try them out tonight.
Always take artists' settings with a huge grain of salt. His Mesa could be modified. Also, I assuming here, that these are his live settings? If so, that's completely different from studio. On stage, he'll dial it in the way he wants to hear himself and let the FOH guy deal with it. TBH, I hate his live tone. However, in the studio, who knows what he uses and if it's the Mesa, the engineer and/or producer will have a bit of say on how the amp is dialed in and paired up.

Seen Tremonti two times and indeed, didn't like his tone at all.

I've been listening to years and recently I have started to think ,is it his tone I like or just his playing and the riffs/songs.
I think it might well be the later really. His new solo CD actually hurts my ears because it's so focused on a narrow band of frequencies.
Having said that tones from songs like Still Remains, Addicted To Pain, Peace Is Broken, Come To Life and Watch Your Words by Alter Bridge are what i'm after. I really love those Hetfield foot stomping riffs.
You think it might be worth getting the Mesa cab pack?

I tried loading your presets Yek but i'm still on 2.04 so it's a no go till I upgrade.

I tried Deathbyguitar's settings and that certainly cleans up a lot of the problems i've been having and has given me a good starting point.

I also need to stop playing with my Band Commander and move on but it sounds SO GOOD!
I love my Axe!

Or an organist switching to piano!

Really? The guy who maintains the both the original AxeFx and the current AxeFxII wikis, finds a simple channel switching amp head with a few switches to be too featureful? That's like a space shuttle pilot b*tching about a motorcycle being complicated. :p No offense, Yek. U know we <heart> you.

I tried Deathbyguitar's settings and that certainly cleans up a lot of the problems i've been having and has given me a good starting point.
Since I'm now at my computer, I'll lend you some starting point settings as well.

TS808: Drive 1.5, Tone 5, Level 5

Recto 1 Red Modern: Gain 5.5, Bass 4.5, Mid 3.5, Treb 4.5, Pres 2, Master 2

Also, reduce the supply sag to simulate the silicon diode setting.

Cab: Use the #39 4x12 1960B T75 (RW)

I gave those settings a try too. Not bad. I use that Marshal cab quite a lot but I really want a 1960av with v30s.

I just upgraded the Axe , holy crap it was simple. 3 clicks of a mouse. fantastic!
I've tried Yeks presets and the one that sticks out as I flick through them is the Cali Leggy preset. Thats definitely where I want to be.
I copied all of the presets over, damn that was simple.
I LOVE THIS THING!

Didn't know about the silicone diode setting simulation with turning supply sag down to 2.0 thanks guys :) will try it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom