Fractal Audio AMP models: ODS-100 (Dumble Overdrive Special)

I've been lucky enough to play 4 real ODS-100, including the famous tan Dumble @ Ultra Sound Studio in NYC and a black ODS-100 that they sold to Carlos Santana shortly after I tried it, if I’m correctly informed.
It was I believe the first Dumble Carlos Santana got.
I've played two other ODS-100's (one a non-HRM and the other a HRM) in two different studios, and at one of these I had 5 full days and a lot of time with the HRM ODS-100, and must admit that I got quite smitten, the more I played the amp the better it got - or rather, the better I got at utilizing the special way a Dumble does the note bloom, and adjust my pick attack to get the most from the amp.

I've also played quite a few of what most people would call the top end Dumble clones, and have owned a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme combo with the “Artist package” and I still own a Custom by Cougar Mystic Blues ODS-100 with a CBC Catulator (Dumblulator clone).

It’s been a few years since I played any of the real Dumbles so admittedly my comparisons to most of the clones is from memory and not from straight A/B tests.
Having said that I find that a few of the clones get quite close, but most of them -to me anyway- does not sound and especially does not feel anything like a Dumble.
The Fuchs I had (and two other I’ve tried later to see if mine was a lemon) got to gainy, compressed and smooth to soon, and had this “sheen” to it for a lack of a better word.
Many guys loved it as it covers up small mistakes in your playing with the gain and compression, but to me it kind of made most of my guitars sound somewhat identical and IMO the response to playing dynamics was severely reduced, when comparing to a real Dumble and the clones that I liked the best.

Bludotone and Mystic Blues are my personal top 2 among the Dumble clones, with an edge to the Mystic Blues - at least from the amps that I’ve tried.
These amps all had great dynamic response to pick attack and reacts and sound like I remember the Dumbles – of course there will be minute differences, but that is also true between different Dumbles.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, both Robben and Larry plays Dumbles here

I believe, I have seen this clip in a better video quality, but it is not easy to find.

As far as I can tell, both Robben and Larry plays Dumbles here

I believe, I have seen this clip in a better video quality, but it is not easy to find.

I also believe that clip used to be available in a better quality/resolution.

Surely Robben is using his tan Dumble there.
Regarding Larry I can't see in the <10 min I just watched if he is using his Dumble at this show or if it's one of his Bludotone amps.
This show is from 2012 and I know that he played at least some shows in 2011 with a Bludotone.
I see two Dumble amp headshells behind Larry - so maybe he has both the Dumble and the Bludo on stage in this clip ?
These amps don't have the Bludotone name-badges on the front, which could suggest that they are probably real Dumbles (or maybe the name-badges had just been taken off or has fallen off from touring ?).
I know Larry had Bludotone clone his Dumble amp, so he could tour with the clone instead of the real Dumble, and that both Larry and Robben have used Bludotone for repairs/service on their Dumbles for a few years as HAD has been very unreliable with the repair times - even for guys like Robben and Larry !!!

Clip from 2011 - Larry playing his Bludotone head

Last edited:
For distinguishing purposes, from what I know, Larry's Overdrive Special Dumble is called the Ripper model, and his Bludotone amp is also following the Ripper Model. So, Larry's Overdrive special would NOT sound like the BludoOjai AXE FX Model model, which is in fact modeled off Robben's Overdrive Special. Just so readers know.

The joke is, once on that Japan tour where they did the live album, for fun each tried playing the other's Dumble, and neither of them liked the other's amp as much as their own! Larry also mostly uses the clean channel of his Bludotone (and his Dumble) amp, often with the pre-amp boost (PAB) on, so that causes some breakup and grit/crunch in his tone, rather than the overdrive channel. Hope that is helpful.

No longer relevant as the post I was responding to has been deleted.

{Used to run Hafler (mosfet) SS amps for the PA; (even my stereo/phono hi-fi) long ago ... near bulletproof amps (even if shorting the outs!)}

Last edited:
Great, isn't it? "Fragile harmonics" ... "surviving electrons" ...

For amusement, check this thread with outspoken opinions about Dumble amps:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/dumble-ford-2-again.105028/

It's not just The Gear Page where emotions sometimes take the lead.
I didn't put quotes from that thread in the OP on purpose, but it's a good read.
I just read through that entire thread - All the name calling and ego polishing aside - there is some impressive and interesting knowledge dropped there.

I dont know anything about Dumble .... Nothing to add here...
Someone mentioned I should make a blog and post a link.

I deleted my threads & I wont be posting any blogs.

There are plenty of smart people here that know all about them right down too
the filter values and parts they can bring what they know too the table.

Then someone else can be the running joke.

I go by facts thats the best I could bring here.
I tried.....

Last edited:
Regarding Larry I can't see in the <10 min I just watched if he is using his Dumble at this show or if it's one of his Bludotone amps.
This show is from 2012 and I know that he played at least some shows in 2011 with a Bludotone.

Shouldn't you be able to hear it? ;) sorry I just don't buy into the whole Dumble cork sniffery.

Shouldn't you be able to hear it? ;) sorry I just don't buy into the whole Dumble cork sniffery.

Don't be sorry, the Dumbles I've tried and a few of the clones are IMO truly great amps - for the right player, that is - I don't think that point can be stressed enough.
I've seen a lot of players, who wanted to get into the Dumble type amp even though it wasn't working for their music and/or playing style - I had the same thing with Vox amps myself for many years. I loved the sound of a good Vox in the mix when other guitarists played them, but never sounded good playing one myself. So I walked away from Voxes for >10 years and have gotten into Vox style amps in the last couple of years where Morgan AC20, Matchless DC30 & Ruby Rocket made me a believer again.

Also as cool and amazing as the Dumbles I played were, I think that the prices they have commanded are just plain nuts.
I get the supply and demand aspect of it, but IMO the prices have been way overinflated for many, many years.
No way I could afford a real Dumble, and if I could I'd put that money to good use elsewhere.
I can get as close to the real thing as I need with a good clone, a good BF Deluxe or Carr Rambler and the right pedal - or even better use the outstanding models in the Axe Fx.
I get the Dumble thing and love them, but i'm not a Dumble nut and they are not my absolute favorite amps.

As to whether we should be able to hear it ?? - it's a low quality Youtube video of a full band mix with the amp played by a great player who could make a middle of the road amp sound fantastic - so no I doubt anyone could reliable and repeatedly hear whether Larry was playing a great clone or the real thing.
But take a guess - you have a 50% chance of naming the right amp (if anybody know which one that is) :)

New photo of Robben's amp
I'd appreciate if anyone could help with the exact setting and how they translate to FAS

Back
Top Bottom