Fractal Audio AMP models: Mr Z MZ-8 and Mr Z MZ-38 (Dr. Z Maz 8 and Maz 38 SR)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *

Maz8.jpg

Maz38.jpg

MR Z MZ-8: based on Dr. Z Maz 8

MR Z MZ-38: based on Dr. Z Maz 38 SR

Dr. Z is Mike Zaite. He builds simple amplifiers that sound pure and are appreciated widely. Famous Dr. Z amp players include Brad Paisley and Joe Walsh.

Cliff: "Dr. Z is the quintessential country amp."

These models are based on Dr. Z’s Maz amps. These are popular single-ended amps. These amps have no negative feedback (model: Damping is 0).

The Maz 38 Sr is an 38 watts amp (head or combo) with four EL84s. Controls: Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, Cut (model: Hi Cut), Master Volume. The tone controls can be bypassed on the real amp. It has two inputs: Hi and Lo (3 dB less gain). The regular version has Reverb built-in, the NR version doesn’t.

Dr. Z:

“Big rockin’ amp with that undeniable Dr. Z sound!”​

“The Maz 38 is one of Dr Z’s most enduring designs. It is the perfect combination of sound and power. 4 EL84s with no negative feedback give you a wide pallet to work from. The 38 has enough clean headroom to make for a great pedal platform and gives up the goods for a great drive sound at reasonable levels. The 38 can satisfy many different styles and playing approaches. You are able to dial in mid 60s blackface sounds as well as UK flavored chime. The Dr. Z MAZ-38 is a truly versatile amp for the working or studio musician. Whether your forte’ is Blues, Country, Roots, or Rock, The MAZ 38 Senior will fit the bill.”​

The Maz 8 is an 8 watts amp (head or combo) with a single EL84. Controls: Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, Reverb, Cut (model: Hi Cut), Master Volume and Pentode/Triode switch (not modeled). The tone controls can be bypassed on the real amp. It has two inputs: Hi and Lo (3 dB less gain).

Dr. Z:

“Based on the modern day classic Maz 18 platform, the Maz 8 is set to become the new standard in single ended class A amps. If you are tired of thinking of ways to win the volume wars with sound guys, club owners, and recording engineers the Maz 8 is the solution. The Maz 8 is a full featured 8 watt amp that will give you an incredible range of shimmering cleans to full on rock action at reasonable volume levels.​

The Maz 8 gives you the true class A experience. The single EL84 output section can be run in Pentode or Triode mode. In Pentode mode you get the sonic signature of the Maz 18. The chimey top end and sweet low end bloom are all there, but at a significantly lower volume. The pentode setting gives you plenty of dynamic range for clean country picking to grinding riff rock bliss. You can even take it a step beyond with the footswitchable EQ bypass function. This gives you a great gain boost for effortless leads that will sustain for days. The Maz 8 takes on a much different dialect in triode mode with more of a vintage feel and sound. In triode, the volume level drops back and the tone fattens up making you think you plugged into a lost gem from the 1950s. Kicking on the EQ bypass in triode mode will have you reaching for your slide in no time.​

Review of the Maz 8 in Premier Guitar.

Here are the manuals.

I really like these amp models, the Maz 8 even more than the 38. Not limited to country. They are capable of putting out vintage medium rock tones too. But they excel at clean tones at the verge of breakup. Loose and bold power amp sound. The ratio Input Drive / Master is important if you want to keep the sound tight.​

Pick a G12H IR to use with these models. I have KTS-70 speakers (by Austin Speaker Works) in my cabinets, which is a high powered version of the G12H, and these models sound awesome through it.

Last edited:
The Triod/Pentod switch is not modeled - so what sound do we get from our axemodel? The G12 Alnico speaker - is this the same as a Voxspeaker ? The videos sound really great with both amps, have to pick my Tele at once..........:D

Love me some Z. Especially the 38.
I don't use it for country... for me it's just a sweet lo-mid gain amp.

The Triod/Pentod switch is not modeled - so what sound do we get from our axemodel? The G12 Alnico speaker - is this the same as a Voxspeaker ? The videos sound really great with both amps, have to pick my Tele at once..........:D
Pretty sure the switch is just power scaling and we have the pentode

So I work for Dr. Z. It's funny, the comment about "Humbucker." That is one of our dealers, Humbucker Music in GA. Lots of the early models were a little different and could have been tweaked due to customer request, or Dr. Z's whims/experimenting, but the "Humbucker" marking just indicates what dealer the amp was heading to.

So I work for Dr. Z. It's funny, the comment about "Humbucker." That is one of our dealers, Humbucker Music in GA. Lots of the early models were a little different and could have been tweaked due to customer request, or Dr. Z's whims/experimenting, but the "Humbucker" marking just indicates what dealer the amp was heading to.
Welcome @communarchy!

Hate to be pushy, but you couldn't by any chance encourage folks to assist with a Fractal model of the CAZ-45, could you? I think Cliff needs a physical amp and a schematic to get started.

I've never played one but on paper it looks awesome!

Welcome @communarchy!

Hate to be pushy, but you couldn't by any chance encourage folks to assist with a Fractal model of the CAZ-45, could you? I think Cliff needs a physical amp and a schematic to get started.

I've never played one but on paper it looks awesome!

I mean I was just thinking about how awesome that would today because some on the gear page made a very nice write up about the amp, and it’s a very good, underrated amp.

Z isn’t opposed to digital modeling or anything, but there would need to be some sort of financial incentive for him to do so. He gets a kick out of it now, whereas I think early on in the modeling days when people were making captures/models of his amps, it was a sore subject. Now that it’s a decade or more on, I think he sees everyone can co-exist.

But if you find the Carol Ann stuff to be a touch too smooth and compressed, the CAZ is a great compromise, adding some of that Dr. Z “directness.” It’s probably the most dynamic amp I’ve ever played, you really get a sense of control under your fingers when you play it.

I mean I was just thinking about how awesome that would today because some on the gear page made a very nice write up about the amp, and it’s a very good, underrated amp.

Z isn’t opposed to digital modeling or anything, but there would need to be some sort of financial incentive for him to do so. He gets a kick out of it now, whereas I think early on in the modeling days when people were making captures/models of his amps, it was a sore subject. Now that it’s a decade or more on, I think he sees everyone can co-exist.

But if you find the Carol Ann stuff to be a touch too smooth and compressed, the CAZ is a great compromise, adding some of that Dr. Z “directness.” It’s probably the most dynamic amp I’ve ever played, you really get a sense of control under your fingers when you play it.
First, to be clear, I 1,000,000% don't speak for Fractal Audio, I'm just a happy owner.

Re financial incentive, AFAIK (see above re my non-relationship w Fractal), my impression is that at least some amp makers consider a Fractal model good advertising for the actual amp. Fractal users get a ringside seat to demo it, next to a bunch of other great amps. If Cliff wants to buy one he can just do that, without any complicated long-term arrangement. Smoothing the way from your side just ups the odds of it actually happening.

Which I personally would love, but I'm nobody :)

Last edited:
Re financial incentive, AFAIK (see above re my non-relationship w Fractal), my impression is that at least some amp makers consider a Fractal model good advertising for the actual amp. Fractal users get a ringside seat to demo it, next to a bunch of other great amps. If Cliff wants to buy one he can just do that. Smoothing the way from your side just ups the odds of it actually happening.
yup - though I see the logic in saying "why would an amp maker want their model in Axfx - no-one will buy the amp if they already have a perfect model of it" - makes sense, but in reality it often seems to work the opposite way. I've seen many comments here over the years of peeps buying an amp cuz it showed up in Axefx and they fell in love with it (I noticed one the other day when Revv channels were released). Despite opinion to the opposite, some amp makers seem to be doing very well and having their sales bolstered by having their amp channels hw modelled, plugin modelled, captured, matched ... I guess it's good exposure with the still substantial real amp buying segment who are often also running modellers etc.

yup - though I see the logic in saying "why would an amp maker want their model in Axfx - no-one will buy the amp if they already have a perfect model of it" - makes sense, but in reality it often seems to work the opposite way. I've seen many comments here over the years of peeps buying an amp cuz it showed up in Axefx and they fell in love with it (I noticed one the other day when Revv channels were released). Despite opinion to the opposite, some amp makers seem to be doing very well and having their sales bolstered by having their amp channels hw modelled, plugin modelled, captured, matched ... I guess it's good exposure with the still substantial real amp buying segment who are often also running modellers etc.

I totally get that, I mean since the Revv models have come up, there’s a Revv Generator locally to me for a great price that I’m eyeing… and I have heard this is the case anecdotally. A great model of the amp does seem to bolster the reputation of it, at very least, and I’d love to see the sales data on this phenomenon.

I could see in many cases a Fractal user falls in love with an amp model but perhaps not the infinite and sometimes daunting possibilities of the unit itself, and moves back to the “real world” after acquiring the real thing. I can also see certain folks using the Fractal for it’s ease of recording, but using the analog counterpart in the live space.

I haven’t even brought up the fact that I acquired an Axe. I’m a relatively open minded guitarist and I’m still in the exploratory phase. I’ve had a very positive experience in terms of the tone, but the workflow is a lot to take in by fact of the multitude of pathways you can take to achieve various goals, and I’m a meticulous “A/Ber” so this process in itself takes a lot of my time. Not complaining, I enjoy the process, but my anal retentive tendencies do slow down the process of making actual music.

Unfortunately, and I’m not even talking about the man himself, he’s relatively agnostic, some long term employees at the company are proud Luddites. Anything beyond “guitar to amp, maybe an overdrive” is looked at as impure and an obstacle to good tone. And that holds a pretty powerful influence on the vibe over here.

Once I have a certain level of mastery over the unit I will definitely be bringing it in, to much amusement and eye-rolling, I’m sure. We will see then.

First, to be clear, I 1,000,000% don't speak for Fractal Audio, I'm just a happy owner.

Re financial incentive, AFAIK (see above re my non-relationship w Fractal), my impression is that at least some amp makers consider a Fractal model good advertising for the actual amp. Fractal users get a ringside seat to demo it, next to a bunch of other great amps. If Cliff wants to buy one he can just do that, without any complicated long-term arrangement. Smoothing the way from your side just ups the odds of it actually happening.

Which I personally would love, but I'm nobody :)
Since this amp is a collaboration between Z and Carol Ann, maybe Z can ask Allan about his relationship with Cliff and Fractal?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom