Fractal Audio AMP models: MR Z HWY 66 (Dr. Z Route 66)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *

Route66.jpg

MR Z HWY 66: based on Dr. Z Route 66

Dr. Z is Mike Zaite. He builds simple amplifiers that sound pure and are appreciated widely.

This model is based on the Route 66 amp . It’s a 32 watts single-channel amp head with KT66 power tubes and utilizing an EF preamp tube.

Dr Z:

"The Route 66 is an all original Dr. Z design based on the incredible KT-66 tube originally built by Genelex. This tube generates the “Milkshake Thick” tones, as heard on John Mayall’s “Bluesbreaker” album featuring Eric Clapton (the “Beano Album” as it is known to many). This is not a duplicate of the Marshall JTM-45, but completely original spin with new tonal end results. The Route 66 has an EF-86 front-end. For those not familiar with this tube, it is a 9 pin pentode that offers incredible gain and input dynamics. It is normally used in high-end stereos, most often for its accurate transfer of input signal, balance, and headroom. The Route 66 features a deceptively simple tone stack, consisting of Volume, Bass, and Treble, which feeds a non-negative feedback Phase Inverter, for true harmonic content and full output tube dynamics. It has a GZ-34 Tube Rectifier to complete the round enveloped tone. The amp has piano-like clarity with endless sustain, even at low volumes. Its 32 watts truly sing when driven hard in a focused, thick distortion, with the tightest bass response you’ve ever heard."​

Manual:

“The Route 66 is a completely original design based around the classic KT-66 output tube. The Route 66 is the first ever winner of the Editor’s Pick Award from Guitar Player Magazine. The EF86 front end coupled to the big bottled KT-66 output tubes let’s loose a thick bottom end with a clear singing top. This amp delivers plenty of classic rock and roll crunch as well as sweet blues sustain. The Route 66 makes any pedal you plug in sound like it was built into the amp.”​

Guitar Buyer review

The controls are very simple: Volume, Bass, Treble. On the amp Treble and Bass operate regularly until 12:00, and dial in gain once turned past noon. To put the amp into overdrive, crank all three controls (Volume, Treble, Bass).

TBH< I prefer the other Dr. Z models we have a lot ("Maz"). I couldn't get a tone I liked from this model at first. Too “grainy” and loose for my taste. But the model seems to benefit from recent firmware upgrades. I actually start to like it. Bass at 7, Treble maxed, Volume around 5, and I use the Ultra-Res 2x12 Boutique cab.​

Last edited:
Yeah, I gotta revisit this model, wanna love it as I adore the maz-38, but didn't bond with this one when I first tried it... need to give it a whirl under quantum3.

On a personal note, as a native son of Northern Ohio, I gotta tip a bottle of Great Lakes Brewing Company "Elliot Ness" to Dr. Z though. Does the heart proud to have so many guitar companies (Dr Z., stewmac, Earthquaker Devices) headquartered and in my former home state ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I gotta revisit this model, wanna love it as I adore the maz-38, but didn't bond with this one when I first tried it... need to give it a whirl under quantum3.

On a personal note, as a native son of Northern Ohio, I gotta tip a bottle of Great Lakes Brewing Company "Elliot Ness" to Dr. Z though. Does the heart proud to have so many guitar companies (Dr Z., stewmac, Earthquaker Devices) headquartered and in my former home state ;)

I had no idea Dr.Z was local. A couple guys around here play his amps. One of my bandmates works at Earthquaker here in Akron, and I know a half dozen other guys there. One of them runs the studio I do most of my recordings at.

I love the way the Rt. 66 responds to the boost switch- you pop that on, and it's pretty magic- I use that with my strat all the time, and it's a really meaty Marshallesqe vibe. My SG doesn't need the boost switch with the 66! Another cool thing about this model- the RT 66 has a preamp and tonestack that's shared between a few different Dr Z models- the Z/28 uses 6V6s, and the KT-45 uses EL34s, so if we switch the tube types in the amp, we sorta get three amps in one!

One of my bandmates works at Earthquaker here in Akron, and I know a half dozen other guys there. One of them runs the studio I do most of my recordings at.

Nice! Big fan of "Party of Helicopters" and a lot of the other bands that sprung up in Kent around that time.

Back
Top Bottom