Fractal Audio AMP models: Matchbox D-30 (Matchless DC-30)

i had a play around with this amp for the first time last night after reading this. i quite like it through factory cabs 26 and 30 together. nice balance. with gain on about 5 or 6 it sounds great, but i threw the fet boost on the klon settings in front and wow...lovely chunky class a drive tone. fantastic.

I´ve had also the first try with this amp - used a sterocab with OrangeIR G12H and Ma AX 25W Greenback - like it more than my Voxsounds.
I pushed the amp with a tubescreamer, cool chrunchsounds. But I´m also intersted in that second channel. But maybe difficult to model with this rotaryknob?

do the interactive knob bass-Treble work like the real amp? how do you guys use them?

As I write in the OP:

I keep Bass and Treble pretty much at default, turn up Cut to about 3.0 (depends on guitar), and then vary Input Drive between 2 and 8, depending on my needs. This model is very input sensitive, you can really dig in, and get that juicy compressed tone.

I love amps which can be used over the whole range of their volume/gain control. Such as Dirty Shirly etc.
And the DC-30 also is such an amp / model. It sounds fabulous, whether Input Drive is at 2 or at 8.
I like it def. better than Vox.

I use the stock 2x12 Boutique Ultra-Res IR.

Last edited:
Never cared for Vox tones, that is until I tried a DC-30.
I love the DC-30 and the Morgan in the Axe Fx.
I use it mostly for clean to slightly broken up (on the edge) tones.

The magic of the EF86 Channel lays in a few different things .... from memory ...... so please excuse me if my terminology is not quite precise ...

-> its the EF86 topology
-> the 6 way Rotary " tone " control is just a high pass filter and as such, it doest "suck" anywhere near as much tone as a "normal" Treble / Middle / Bass tone stack
-> the cut control is a low pass filter
-> MV is fully by-passable

Seriously .... its gorgeous ... as Ive described it to others ...... think of a great AC30TB .... but with a much more musical "grind and chime".

..... even the Helix [ as of FW 1.06 ] has the DC30 Ch1, Ch 2 and Ch1 + Ch 2 jumpered .... :)

As I write in the OP:

I keep Bass and Treble pretty much at default, turn up Cut to about 3.0 (depends on guitar), and then vary Input Drive between 2 and 8, depending on my needs. This model is very input sensitive, you can really dig in, and get that juicy compressed tone.

I love amps which can be used over the whole range of their volume/gain control. Such as Dirty Shirly etc.
And the DC-30 also is such an amp / model. It sounds fabulous, whether Input Drive is at 2 or at 8.
I like it def. better than Vox.

I use the stock 2x12 Boutique Ultra-Res IR.

Yes, I´ve ridden this, Yek, but the cut-Knob isn´t there at the original amp, or is ist? I wanted to know how the interactive bass-Treble knobs work , which frequence comes up if I decrease/increase on of them? Or isn´t that it so in the axemodel? Haven´t heard something special till now when i tried it.

Last edited:
Before I got the Axe I had a Matchless Phoenix (EL34 plus EF86 in ch.2).
The Telefunken EF86 pentode had it's fame in the first Neumann U87 condenser mikes - the only pentode that had a very low noice-floor plus overwhelming dynamics.
When I got my Phoenix it had a chinese EF86 - and I had some NOS E807F Telefunkens laying around from some old hi-fi preamps.
And did that change channel 2?. Oh yes. To the much better.
(I ran the Phoenix with one open back/Celestion Gold and one ported/V30).

I'm just writing this because if you have a 30 or Phoenix, please invest in a NOS EF86 or E806F.

I have not to this day nailed it on my Axe.

Yes, I´ve rode this, Yek, but the cut-Knob isn´t there at the original amp, or is ist? I wanted to know how the interactive bass-Treble knobs work , which frequence comes up if i decrease/increase on of them? Or isn´t that it so in the axemodel? Haven´t heard something special till now when i tried it.

Havent played the amp in real, but the amp has a Cut control and based on the manual it affects both channels.

Last edited:
I loved these amps when I got to try them/use them in the 90's.. but, much like vintage Marshall heads, I liked them turned up to the point where they we're too loud for my non-pro situations. I also remember the DC30 seeming to be fairly sensitive to tube selection. I'd love to try one again.. it's been a long time and I've learned some things since then.

Yes, I´ve rode this, Yek, but the cut-Knob isn´t there at the original amp, or is ist? I wanted to know how the interactive bass-Treble knobs work , which frequence comes up if i decrease/increase on of them? Or isn´t that it so in the axemodel? Haven´t heard something special till now when i tried it.
yes, the cut knob is in the original amp.

Havent played the amp in real, but the amp has a Cut control and based on the manual it affects both channels.
Thanks for correcting me. I have overlooded the last sentence in the manual, where cut knob appears.

Also, if Cliff doesn't have one I have one that I can send to be modeled. It's a newer one but it's a DC30 nonetheless.
We NEED this channel in the Axe. Helix has the EF86 and the jumped version of the two channels, which is a great way to run it. I feel like having the 12AX7 but not having the EF86 channel is like having an AC30 but only the normal channel or like having only the clean channel of a MESA amp.

Channel 2 is where its at! I never use channel one of my DC30 cause the 2nd one is way better. You'd be hard pressed to find a better Amp tone.

Back
Top Bottom