Fractal Audio AMP models: Hipower (Hiwatt DR103)

Really? The Hipower Normal model has so much bass, I always have to dial that out.

They are kind of like that in real life. I used mine for more bass playing gigs than I did guitar gigs. One of the few 100 watt amps where you can use it for bass and keep up with pretty loud guitar players. Long gone, but its memory will live on in my Axe-FX presets when I get around to setting a preset up as I remember that amp.
frontbetter.jpg

Is it possible to intelligently modify the Axe FX's model of the DR103 to simulate the CP103 using some of the more advanced amplifier parameters? According to this website these are the key differences:
  • No middle or presence controls in the circuit.
  • Four input channels, one volume control for each channel.
  • Five preamp valves: four 12AX7/ECC83 and one 12AT7/ECC81
  • Four EL34 power/output valves.
Even with the DR103 middle at 5.00 and the Presence at 0.00, the tone stack of the CP103 is still different.

I'd like to think it's possible to modify the DR103 enough to cause it to match the CP103 without resorting to tone matching. Am I crazy for thinking so?

Last edited:
Great amp. LOVES pedals.

If you like the Pete Townsend Hiwatt power chord thing, his amp had a input boost built in it reportedly.

Try the amp boost in the Hiwatt jumped amp model (+10db) to get a little hair around your P-90 pickup power chords...

Actually according to this website it's been said that the CP103 did not have the additional 10 dB boost it's been rumored to. I understand it has a different tone stack than the DR103 though.

Yek,
I can't thank you enough for doing this. It gets me to try amps that I otherwise would just gloss over. I love that you give suggestions and settings for the amps as well. Kudos dude!!!

Love from Ohio!!!

This model has become my go-to amp. In conjunction with a Matrix power amp and a cabinet sporting Fane Ascension alnico speakers, I adore the clean tones I get out of this model. I used to be a Vox guy but in the FAS universe, I've become a HiWatt guy...though, my license plate in the real-world still reads "VOXAC15" :)

Not being much of a high gain guy, I've been happily using Fender models on my Axe/Fx II for the last couple of years and really haven't explored much beyond those until recently. I'd been listening to Live at Leeds and as I happened to have an SG w/P90s, I thought I'd dial up a patch using the Hipower Brilliant model. Wow! The in-your-face presence and chime whether clean or crunchy is astounding! I can't stop playing it!

Last edited:
Not being much of a high gain guy, I've been happily using Fender models on my Axe/Fx II for the last couple of years and really haven't explored much beyond those until recently. I'd been listening to Live at Leeds and as I happened to have an SG w/P90s, I thought I'd dial up a patch using the Hipower Brilliant model. Wow! The in-your-face presence and chime whether clean or crunchy is astounding! I can't stop playing it!
And it also accepts drive pedals really well. One of my favourite presets is just a slightly tweaked FAS boost + Hipower Jumped + Starfound IR. A gorgeous bluesy, raw and chewy tone that I originally created for pink floyd's money rhythm parts, but now I use it for a lot of stuff.

Yes, I have a TS drive as well as a compressor block set to add a bit of gain. I also have an amp X/Y setup so that X is clean but with a dynamic, crunchy edge if pushed like with the compressor and the Y is OD'd in the amp block. So, between the vol on the guitar, compressor, TS, Comp blocks, and amp X/Y switching I get LOTS of "organic" (meaning that the basic tone doesn't change much) gain settings in the one patch without even needing to setup scenes.

It sure is a great and different sounding amp, and the AFX model captures whatever that X factor is - how is it with high gain tones?, or is it best to get that out of drive pedals with this amp?

It sure is a great and different sounding amp, and the AFX model captures whatever that X factor is - how is it with high gain tones?, or is it best to get that out of drive pedals with this amp?
It is one of the amps (if not THE amp) which has the most headroom, it's really difficult to push it into high gain territory in the real world. With all the tools available in the Axe though it could be feasible.
Try to crank drive and input trim, turn on the boost, use a high output guitar, etc.. But I don't know how it would sound.

Do you happen to know if these Fanes are from the circa 1970/71 design? Or the ~1975 design? I haven't done my research in a long time as to the differences, but I know there were two different designs between these periods--wish I could remember more information.
Since the info on the web seems to be conflicting about this, I emailed Fane with the speaker codes.

Stay tuned and I will update you.

Since the info on the web seems to be conflicting about this, I emailed Fane with the speaker codes.

Stay tuned and I will update you.
You could also try entering the cab serial number in this form if Fane isn't able to provide the info:
https://hiwatt.org/registry.html

What's the power rating of the Fanes? 50W or 80W?

PS: anyway, just purchased. Cannot wait to try them tonight ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom