Fractal Audio AMP models: Friedman BE and HBE (Friedman Marsha and BE-100)

When you lower the Master volume, are you doing anything else as well or just tweaking the tone knobs and that's it? I was messing with the depth knob the other day but not sure if its helping...I will try the MV tonight for sure.
I didn't dive into any of the advanced settings for these models. Just basic tone controls which I typically put in the 6 to 8 range.

“These amps share the same aggressive low-cut on the input and then add bass back in the power amp. This gives clear bass response without getting flubby."

So does this mean that you should engage the low cut in the model under the bass control?

Last edited:
Nope, the low-cut is already applied in the default settings (advanced parameters: Low Cut Frequency).

I just tried the C45 switch trick and I think I like that a lot better than cranking the presence to brighten up the amp. Now my presence is around 3.5 and I'm getting closer to what I want to hear.

My question is about the saturation switch. Since the real amp has an actual switch, does the Axe-FX work differently when using "authentic" mode for a BE model versus other amp models that don't have a real sat switch?

Before any wish list threads get added asking for the BE-50 Deluxe, it looks like we've already got the added functionality in our Axe-FX (besides the Buxom Betty clean channel). I watched the new Sweetwater video on it and the new controls we can already dial in. Like the new response knob that Dave said effects negative feedback. We've got that already. The Axe is so cool!

Firmware Ares 1.x for Axe-Fx III, and Quantum 10.01 for Axe-Fx II, now include additional Friedman models:
  • 2018 version of the HBE
  • BE with the C45 switch turned on.

When I had the real thing I used to like to run the bass cranked per Daves recommendations but it doesn't sound right in the axe model, not sure why

Pulling up an old thread because I just started using these models and was surprised by something, considering all the "bass response" discussion above. I was dialing in a good mid to high gain single coil strat-like tone last night on my XL+ (thanks to @2112 doing a Yngwie tone video and listening to a ton Nick Johnston lately :)), and found the treble response on the BE-C45 to be perfect for this. Got a great tone with minimal effort. But I was surprise to find it has a huge amount of bass compared to other adjacent friedman models when using the same IR and EQ, I had to drop the bass knob from around 6 down to around 2.5 and hit the low cut switch to get close to the others (also tried BE V1 and 2018 models).

Has anyone else experienced this? It's not really an issue as I got a great sound from it relatively quickly, but it just seemed odd to me for so much bass to be present when I understand the C45 is a treble boost. I'm running Ares 2.00, if that is relevant.

Par for the course I find with these amps.
do check the low frequency resonance though.
I find it hard to cut bass and still have a good thick low end. I feel like the roll off of the low end can change if you do to much in the amp, I think a lot of problem for me come from trying to balance the amp bass control with the low cut from the cab block.
Could also try a drive pedal the AC is a clean drive that I use like an EQ before the amp.

Back
Top Bottom