Fractal Audio AMP models: Euro Uber (Bogner Uberschall)

I happen to be in the studio today. Not much time, though. Threw this patch together real quick. Normally, I'd do all the filter and multi-band compression in my DAW, but here it is to the best of my ability in the Axe. Notable changes made were KT88 tubes and driving the preamp in the cab block with the Modern type. Adjust the threshold in the comp. to suit your guitar and avoid pumping. Just shave off enough. Also adjust the drive on the preamp in the cab block to avoid clipping. Other than that, make some minor tweaks here and there to compensate for your gear and you should be good to go. Let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks for this! I don't know why, but it sounds bad on my 7 string. BN pickups - just sounds like there's not enough drive.
Have taken your comp block and added it to mine, getting a bit of a noise on chugs still, need to spend some more time on it... perhaps removing the drive pedal and fiddling with the comp block..?

Attachments

• Mak Uber New.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 16
I'm having a hell of a time getting the Uber to work out well for me. One of my guitars is a Mark Tremonti PRS and I love his Alterbridge sound as well of some of the tones from his work with Creed. I know he uses an Uberschall ran into 4x12 Mesas but man, the bass is just so overwhelming, even with cranking the presence and dropping the bass down to almost nothing.

I'm having a hell of a time getting the Uber to work out well for me. One of my guitars is a Mark Tremonti PRS and I love his Alterbridge sound as well of some of the tones from his work with Creed. I know he uses an Uberschall ran into 4x12 Mesas but man, the bass is just so overwhelming, even with cranking the presence and dropping the bass down to almost nothing.

Just like the real amp. ;-)

Use the CUT switch (under the Bass control). Or increase Low Cut Freq on the ADV page.

Just like the real amp. ;-)

Use the CUT switch (under the Bass control). Or increase Low Cut Freq on the ADV page.

*fp* duh... I knew there was something I was forgetting... the low cut on the adv page. Who pairs a bassy guitar with a bassy amp... I mean WHO!! Tremonti evidently, lol. Thanks Yek.

Thanks for this! I don't know why, but it sounds bad on my 7 string. BN pickups - just sounds like there's not enough drive.
Have taken your comp block and added it to mine, getting a bit of a noise on chugs still, need to spend some more time on it... perhaps removing the drive pedal and fiddling with the comp block..?
Unfortunately, I don't have an XL. So, I was unable to open your preset.

I did have some time to revise my original preset. Used an old DI here in the studio, through my re-amp box and into the Axe to fine tune it more. I tried to do everything in the Axe and only use stock IRs.

Try this one out. I actually think it sounds better. If not, your on your own. ;)

Attachments

• Lionheart Uber No.2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 34
Damnit, such a shame these exports aren't compatible... thanks for the revised version - I'll check it out later today when I get near the Axe! :)

Having a PM conversation with another member about dialing in the Uber and figured I'd post here what I told him in the PM, so that it might help other people out. Here it goes:

This amp can be a bit challenging to adjust at times. One of those challenges is that it can be fizzy and harsh if adjusted incorrectly. Here's some tips that you can use to adjust this amp. The "Treb" knob is more similar to a "Presence" knob. The "Mid" knob is more similar to a "Treb" knob. And the "Presence" knob is, all in all, a sort of "Contour" knob. I know it sounds difficult, but the Uber is a weird amp. Just use those references that I listed when considering what knob to turn and how much to turn it. Just remember, it's very prone to being fizzy and bassy. Think of it as a chunk of rock that you have to carve out all the bad stuff, to reveal a sculpture. Have fun!

I actually need to give Lionheart some credit here.

I thought I knew my uber back to front and inside out. I thought I was the Uber master.

So I loaded up his preset (Uber 2) and scoffed. We had the same value for mids and treble, but he had a measly 3 on bass and 9.5 on Depth. Whereas I was running 6.5 of Bass and 1 on Depth. Also, 8 with the Presence? Really? I mean I know the Presence kinda shapes everything, but I was getting some awesome screams with it on 4. What's this crap with the Multiband? You can control the bass with GEQ! Wait. You're not using ANY GEQ? Oh man do you even KNOW what you're doing? NO Tubescreamer? How are things meant to tighten up?

Bwahahahaha! Look, just for shits and giggles, let's load up my favourite custom cab and see how bad this sounds.

Well fuck.

I've tweaked it to make it more "me" (I adore and love Tubescreamers so I modified the patch to suit one, tweaked things for my cab so it's a bit better suited, added SOME bass and got the Dynamic Presence\Bass to kick at me how I like it, other minor tweaks to BMT) but now I've ended up with the Uber sound that I thought I was hearing with my patch.

I have no idea why he needed the Gate so aggressive (dude, what pickups are you running?), but overall, his patch is an awesome starting point for anybody wanting to play with Ubers.

I actually need to give Lionheart some credit here.

I thought I knew my uber back to front and inside out. I thought I was the Uber master.

So I loaded up his preset (Uber 2) and scoffed. We had the same value for mids and treble, but he had a measly 3 on bass and 9.5 on Depth. Whereas I was running 6.5 of Bass and 1 on Depth. Also, 8 with the Presence? Really? I mean I know the Presence kinda shapes everything, but I was getting some awesome screams with it on 4. What's this crap with the Multiband? You can control the bass with GEQ! Wait. You're not using ANY GEQ? Oh man do you even KNOW what you're doing? NO Tubescreamer? How are things meant to tighten up?

Bwahahahaha! Look, just for shits and giggles, let's load up my favourite custom cab and see how bad this sounds.

Well fuck.

I've tweaked it to make it more "me" (I adore and love Tubescreamers so I modified the patch to suit one, tweaked things for my cab so it's a bit better suited, added SOME bass and got the Dynamic Presence\Bass to kick at me how I like it, other minor tweaks to BMT) but now I've ended up with the Uber sound that I thought I was hearing with my patch.

I have no idea why he needed the Gate so aggressive (dude, what pickups are you running?), but overall, his patch is an awesome starting point for anybody wanting to play with Ubers.
Thanks for the kind words, H13.

About the gate, ha ha! I run it very aggressive as a preliminary on most of my high gain patches for when I'm just songwriting. Having a hiss while you're going through edits, changing things or thinking about arrangements drives me crazy. Whenever I'm laying down the actual track, I just double click the "threshold" and "ratio" to set them back to default. It all depends on the patch and song, though.

Thanks for the kind words, H13.

About the gate, ha ha! I run it very aggressive as a preliminary on most of my high gain patches for when I'm just songwriting. Having a hiss while you're going through edits, changing things or thinking about arrangements drives me crazy. Whenever I'm laying down the actual track, I just double click the "threshold" and "ratio" to set them back to default. It all depends on the patch and song, though.
IMO, record with it off (Threshold turned down until it disables the gate). Just cut out the sections with no playing manually in your DAW.

IMO, record with it off (Threshold turned down until it disables the gate). Just cut out the sections with no playing manually in your DAW.
Yeah, that's what I do when committing to final tracks. The gate is only set aggressively when roughing out ideas. It's just my work flow. ;)

Back
Top Bottom