Fractal Audio AMP models: Div/13 FT37 (Divided By 13 FTR 37)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *

Ftr37.jpg

DIV/13 FT37: based on Divided By 13 FTR 37

Fred Taccone of Divided By 13 manufactures each of his amps by hand. They’re easily recognized by their exquisite looks and the triangle at the top. These amps look awesome.

The FTR 37 is a 37 watts amp running on 6V6 power tubes. The amp can be switched to Half Power. It has built-in reverb.

Two channels with two inputs per channel. The first channel is voiced like a big, clear Fender. I like it much better than the CJ 11. The second channel is Divided by 13’s impression of a Marshall. The channels can be blended. This makes it a versatile amp.

Divided by 13:

"Capturing and exceeding some of the best tones offered by our favorite amp from Fullerton and our favorite amp from England, the FTR 37 from 1 to 10 can produce the most pure and bodied clean tones, to varying degrees of medium and over-the-top types of complex and full-bodied overdrive. Coupled with the exterior switching/boost device, the Switchazel, the flexibility available in both channels, either separate or blended, offer an infinite array of guitar tones rarely thought possible for the music maker of today."​

The amp controls are simple: Volume, Treble, Bass on the first channel. Pull out Volume and you get a mid/gain boost. On the 2nd channel: Volume and a Tone knob (referred to as Click because it switches between settings). No Master Volume.

Now onto the models in our Axe-Fx II and AX8 devices.

The “LO” model captures the first channel with the Volume knob pushed (gain boost off).
The ‘HI” represents the first channel with the Volume knob pushed (gain boost on).
Both sound wonderful, whether it’s the LO or HI channel, Input Drive at 5 or at 9. I especially like the HI channel with a high drive setting.

The second channel is not modeled, fuggedaboutit.

The FTR cabinet has AlNiCO and a G12H speakers. Select those from the stocks cabs. I like the combination of cabs 11 and 84.

Cab Pack 6 has IRs of a Division By 13 2x12" cabinet, containing an Alnico Blue and G12H. Too bad there's none of these are available as a stock cab!​

Last edited:
Another very interesting amp.

I like Freds style and I own a RSA 23, which is one of the finest real amps I've ever played - in many ways very much a small head 50W Plexi but with clear elements of HiWatt in there (KT88 power tubes), and played clean with a Celestion Blue equipped cab it can do the modern pop-rock-country Nashville thing that has been in vouge for the last few years.
Pushed through a 212 Scumback M75 equipped cab it's just pure and classic 60's-70's RAWK - think Led Zep, Free, Cream, Hendrix and so on.
Great with teles, strats, LP's, Jr's and it loves my ES 335.

I borrowed an FTR 37 with a matching 212 cab a couple of years back, as I thought that I'd get one to accompany the RSA 23 and have a dual amp Divided by 13 rig to cover "both sides of the Atlantic" - but I must admit that I was severely disappointed in the tones I got from the FTR 37 - my Carr Rambler played through the /13 212 cab (to even the odds for the 112 Rambler combo) utterly destroyed the FTR 37 for Fender tones.
With the real amp I tried I much preferred the second channel, but I didn't think it sounded anything like a Marshall, more like a pushed tweed.

That said I wondered then if the FTR 37 could be faulty or have completely flat tubes, but the owner said the amp was tiptop. He's a friend and wasn't looking to sell it, and he knew I had a line on a new one, so it wasn't a case of him trying to unload a lemon.

In comparison the FTR models in the Axe sounds fantastic IMO and much much better than the real amp I tried. Thus I still suspect that there might have been something wrong with the real amp, and a part of me would still like another go at a real FTR 37.
I don't have any presets with the FTR in the Axe right now, as I'm all set for Blackface, Tweed and Marshall in the Axe, but have been wanting to make some for the longest time just because I really like the FTR 37 model in the Axe.

This is may favourite amp to use with the AxFx. Heads up for forcing me to buy cab pack 6 now! :) Didn't notice prior to this that an IR actually was produced for this. Nice.

Another very interesting amp.

I like Freds style and I own a RSA 23, which is one of the finest real amps I've ever played - in many ways very much a small head 50W Plexi but with clear elements of HiWatt in there (KT88 power tubes), and played clean with a Celestion Blue equipped cab it can do the modern pop-rock-country Nashville thing that has been in vouge for the last few years.
Pushed through a 212 Scumback M75 equipped cab it's just pure and classic 60's-70's RAWK - think Led Zep, Free, Cream, Hendrix and so on.
Great with teles, strats, LP's, Jr's and it loves my ES 335.

Yes, the RSA seems an awesome amp too. The BTR model is based on that one, I understand. One of Paul McCartney's band members plays the BTR and I really love their sound.
McCartney plays on a festival here this summer, looking forward to that.

I've played this, and didn't find anything that one of the Fender models didn't cover, but I didn't try the same cab configuration as 'recommended'. So I'll try this again as I'm still on my 'perfect Telecaster' tone.

Yes, the RSA seems an awesome amp too. The BTR model is based on that one, I understand. One of Paul McCartney's band members plays the BTR and I really love their sound.
McCartney plays on a festival here this summer, looking forward to that.

Yeah I know - I've tried the RSA 23 and the BTR side by side through the same cab, and must admit that as cool as the BTR is, the RSA clearly sound better IMO. Must be the master vol circuit and a few other tweaks that makes the difference as otherwise these amps are very similar.
Yeah Sir Paul stops by my neck of the wood too this summer, so I've put wheels in motion to secure tickets - love their tone too and Sir Paul has an unbelievable back catalog to choose from.
Regarding their tone, I've bought a lim.edi. of the Rusty Anderson ES-335 - it's the sweetest 335 ever and it made my sell the vintage one I owned as the RA ES-335 was better in every way.

Reactions: yek
This just makes me wish the RSA 23 was in the axe... I agree, the RSA sounds phenomenal. The FTR model is good, but the RSA 23 model would be an awesome addition.

Been playing with this amp all day because I thought I'd give some Alter Bridge clean tones a shot (Mark Tremonti used this amp for all the clean tones on The AB III album - Ghost of days gone by is a good example)
...then I started playing some more and realised how confusingly simple the amp is but how differently it reacts to your pickup volume, push pulls and drive pedals.
It's Wonderful stuff. It does that magic thing where I don't get any harsh frequencies , even with a Wah (using the stock cab IR )
Can't wait to get my Custom 24 back from the repair shop in Maryland because think this will be a rather delightful matchup.

I was looking around for an alternative to the Supro model I had dialed in for my early Muse rock riffing patch and happened across the FT37 Hi. It sounds sublime in drop C# with the neck pickup on my strat. Can't wait to try it with some different IRs and stereo cab pairings.

my favorite clean and hairy American amp sounds, I'd love to hear Fractal's version of the RSA23

love this amp with the Fuzz Face and the Timmy as a sidenote... I use it with all types of 4x12 and 2x12 cabs

Best guitar amp you've ever owned???

:smirk:

My amp sounds much better.

It's purple.

A purple FTR.

Yes, we all know purple amps sound better. Scientists proved it long ago.

Do we know what channel this is based on? After some tuning sounds amazing, would like to compare it with the "source" Fender :)

Another good demo of the FTR 37.

As I mentioned in the CJ 11 post...this guy has very good demos of a bunch of the /13 amps including: CJ 11, FTR 37, RSA 31, RSA 23, BTR 23, JRT 9/15, CCC 9/15 and JJN 50/100

Back
Top Bottom