Fractal Audio AMP models: Dirty Shirley (Friedman Dirty Shirley)

Use the "Axe-Fx" library.

I use Cab-Lab to convert them to Ultra-Res.
I don't select MPT or Auto-Trim (I don't mix IRs).

I found that the cabIR.eu PIN68 sample 2 that @Morphosis made freely available for a limited time sounds absolutely amazing with the Dirty Shirley - At first I loved it with the stock "Acrox mix (TAF)", but then I tried the PIN68 and BAM, that was it for me :)

I found that the cabIR.eu PIN68 sample 2 that @Morphosis made freely available for a limited time sounds absolutely amazing with the Dirty Shirley - At first I loved it with the stock "Acrox mix (TAF)", but then I tried the PIN68 and BAM, that was it for me :)

I own that UK Triple collection. Those IR's have lots of mojo for me. Love that PIN cab too.

Another great write up Yek :)

I know we have very similar taste in (at least most) amps, and the DS has indeed been one of my absolute go to amps since it was introduced in the Axe Fx.

I've played entire gigs on just one preset with the DS as the only amp and very few efx's in the preset, just using pick attack and the guitar's volume knob to vary the tones from clean to mean to scream. The DS does this transition perfectly.

At a certain point I was very close to ordering a real DS, based purely on my love for the DS in the Axe Fx - I ended up buying a real Komet K60 instead, also based on my love for the Axe model of that amp (and from having tried a real Komet Concorde).
I still get an itch to try a real DS from time to time, but with the Axe model of the DS being so great I've managed to keep from scratching that itch so far.
But I'm thinking of unloading a few of my real amps, and if I succeed, that itch might prove itself irresistible :)

Yeah, I was actually just about to buy some ownhammers - But I might have to buy this triple collection instead.

All three cabs are in my goto list.

The one conspicuous absence is no R121 mic captures. I love the Royer 121 IRL for guitar cabs so I would have loved to have those cabs captured with one.

None the less, the pack is really great and usable for me, despite no R121 captures.

I like the R121 sounds I get from different IRs (never tried one in real life), but live I often found that they do not cut enough. I remember when I first got my Two-Notes Torpedo CAB. I had set up my sound based on Celestion Blues with R121. Sounded great at home, but with the band, I immediately had to change the mic to a 421 (that was before my Ax days)

I've played entire gigs on just one preset with the DS as the only amp and very few efx's in the preset, just using pick attack and the guitar's volume knob to vary the tones from clean to mean to scream. The DS does this transition perfectly.

I made a preset tonight with DS on both amp X and Y and then just enough effects to fill the footswitches on my Ax8 - this preset does everything, and I could easily play an entire gig with it.

I like the R121 sounds I get from different IRs (never tried one in real life), but live I often found that they do not cut enough. I remember when I first got my Two-Notes Torpedo CAB. I had set up my sound based on Celestion Blues with R121. Sounded great at home, but with the band, I immediately had to change the mic to a 421 (that was before my Ax days)

When I've had to mike a real guitar speaker in the studio, my approach was always to go for a combination of a SM57 (for the punch) and a Royer 121.
I do the same when I make a preset in the Axe - it's a classic combination for a reason, and the SM57 adds the mid range "fist" that make the guitar cut through and sit in the mix.
Sometimes I experiment with a 421, AEA R92 other mics, if I'm looking for a different sound - but my starting point is the SM57 and R121 combo.

Yeah, I was actually just about to buy some ownhammers - But I might have to buy this triple collection instead.
Be a big spender and get both :)

I have no experience with the triple collection, but can guaranty that you won't regret getting the OwnHammers - best IR's I've tried and priced extremely low for the quality and variety that they bring.

Well said man!
That's the way I like it: dirty and sweaty...
The name comes from a beverage mix: a Shirley Temple (Ginger ale™/Sprite™ and a splash of grenadine syrup) with vodka

Dave and I were vacationing with his wife and my girlfriend. We were having cocktails in the lounge area of a hotel. Dave and I were discussing what to name our new amp. My girlfriend is a bartender and was telling Dave's wife about a shirley temple with vodka in it. I said , so its a Dirty Shirley." Dave said, perfect, that's the name of the amp.

And there you have it

When I've had to mike a real guitar speaker in the studio, my approach was always to go for a combination of a SM57 (for the punch) and a Royer 121.
I do the same when I make a preset in the Axe - it's a classic combination for a reason, and the SM57 adds the mid range "fist" that make the guitar cut through and sit in the mix.
Sometimes I experiment with a 421, AEA R92 other mics, if I'm looking for a different sound - but my starting point is the SM57 and R121 combo.
I do the same thing in reality in my home studio ;)
Royer 121+SM57 , perfect ;)

I do the same thing in reality in my home studio ;)
Royer 121+SM57 , perfect ;)

I just spent over an hour and a half revisiting my DS patch for the 1st time since Q2... that mic combo was already selected (ML PR75) and found no need to change it. After Quantum, the patch name 'Choco Shake' fits the sound... Thick and Rich!

here's a short preview clip of the DS model I did way back then for firmware 18 beta (G3). eventhough we've moved on in firmwares since then, it's still representative for the dynamics and crunch this amp is capable of at higher gain settings...

Dave and I were vacationing with his wife and my girlfriend. We were having cocktails in the lounge area of a hotel. Dave and I were discussing what to name our new amp. My girlfriend is a bartender and was telling Dave's wife about a shirley temple with vodka in it. I said , so its a Dirty Shirley." Dave said, perfect, that's the name of the amp.

And there you have it

Dear Mr. Navarette:
Have this confirmation from the source is a luxury!
I take this opportunity to thank the whole Friedman company for giving us so much joy to guitarists.
Keep Rocking!

Be a big spender and get both :)

I have only a small problem spending the money - Receiving more than 2000 IRs at the same time however - That scares the shit out of me :D I must admit I prefer to get a little at the time, so I can better familiarize myself with all the new stuff. This is exactly why I love these threads so much. I see it as an opportunity to familiarize myself with one amp each day.

here's a short preview clip of the DS model I did way back then for firmware 18 beta (G3). eventhough we've moved on in firmwares since then, it's still representative for the dynamics and crunch this amp is capable of at higher gain settings...

Superb!

I play a lot within amp since i saw Yek's article .But is it me or it seems that the Shirley is a little "Fizzy" ?
I hear too much "fizz" for me just after the attack.

Back
Top Bottom