Fractal Audio AMP models: Deluxe Tweed (Fender Deluxe, 5E3)

I don't know why but when I select this model my hands play first of all Johnny Be Good, then I can play some thing else ;)

So true! Sounds so authentic with my 335. It's just an in your face authentic vintage tone with tons of vibe. I play it dry. No verb. No delay.

Yeah - Niel is a force of nature and one of the best songwriters ever.
I've been into him for the longest time but was utterly dumbstruck when I heard him live for the first time - about 6 or 7 years ago I think.
These elderly gentlemen and women came on stage, and it was like they opened up a portal to another dimension - they just channeled completely pure and raw rock and roll. One of the best concerts I've ever witnessed

Don't get me started! :) I have seen him every time he's come to town since the first time I saw him with Crosby, Stills, and Nash in 1970. Acoustic shows... awesome! Rocking ear melting shows with Crazy Horse. Spectacular! Just one of the best songwriter/musicians of our era hands down!

Gotta love the tweed! He has hundreds but it's that ONE that has the mojo according to him.

as a quasi relevant note, those of you who incorporate UA Apollo interfaces in their rigs should give the Brand new Tweed Deluxe plugin a listen. I've never been impressed much with UAD's guitar stuff to-date , but my initial play through certainly to my ears at least rivals what we have in our Tweed......

The initial model of the Tweed Deluxe in the Axe Fx II was based on my 58 Tweed Deluxe which Cliff borrowed during one of those "wanted: amps to model" periods in Sept 2012. I can't remember which epiphany and FW brought about the need to retest most of the amps after that, but I had my amp back in my hands when that happened, so if it did get retested, it wasn't with my amp.

Yes, there are lots of clones and it's a simple circuit, but there are vast differences between the results in my experience. When I bought mine it was because I was playing in a band with another guitarist using his own late 50s Tweed Deluxe and hearing this endlessly great tone pour out of it. I needed some of that glorious sound. He'd gotten the amp and then spent a couple of years tweaking it, getting the perfect tubes for it and the best speaker he could find (a Jensen p12p which he recently replaced with an Alnico Blue which significantly increased volume and sounds fantastic). I compared the one I bought to a couple of older Deluxes and a couple of clones in the store I bought it from and it completely smoked them all. After I bought it, I borrowed my friend's awesome Deluxe. Mine was super similar and the sound differences attributable to speaker differences were far greater than the differences between the 2 amps. They're both awesome.

I completely agree about the compatibility with a tele. I finally understood the beauty of a tele bridge pu when I matched it with the Deluxe which rolls off all the icepick nastiness. The bridge pu also puts out enough sound from the low couple of strings when driven to offset the fact that there's HUGE low end rolloff when the Deluxe is driven hard which makes the bottom disappear when using the neck pu.

One of the awesome things about the Axe and the Tweed Deluxe (and many other amps) is that in addition to all the great drive sounds, it's got a fantastic clean sound that has no headroom in the real world model. In the Axe you can dial the input drive and the gain WAY down and get a gorgeous super clean fat and warm sound suitable for jazz or clean country that simply wouldn't be possible with any volume in the real Deluxe. Conversely, you can gain it up and get it loud enough to compete with any other amp.

Also completely agree with Cliff about position of treble/tone knob. I have it almost all the way up most of the time. It opens up the amp lets it shine. I have the treble much higher than I would typically run it on BF Fenders or most other amps I'd use (low to mid gain).

This is one of my five favorite amp models in the AXE FX. So versatile, does lots of tones depending on where you set the gain control. But another secret is to use a Greenback speaker with these (ask Keith Richards).

Right now I am using the Hawaii Factory 1x12 paired with this amp, and treble set just under "7" (bass and mid on "5"/noon), and I can't stop playing it. It's focused and warm and awesome. It likes single soils and humbuckers. It's all good. Make a few patches varying the gain on this thing...you can see this amp could easily be the one amp you need for a gig.

Rock on!

I know this is an old post but hoping to get some bites anyway.

Are you guys able to get this tone that Joe gets out of his Tweed deluxe (sans the pedal)?

I find the bass gets too flabby when getting in that gain territory.

funny this thread should pop up now, just came across a great tone. try Deluxe Tweed model with this IR from Obot the Robot cab pack: 1x12 Carol-Ann 121E

Haven't tried it with my Tele yet but it's a great setup with a LP+PAF's

I completely agree about the compatibility with a tele. I finally understood the beauty of a tele bridge pu when I matched it with the Deluxe which rolls off all the icepick nastiness. The bridge pu also puts out enough sound from the low couple of strings when driven to offset the fact that there's HUGE low end rolloff when the Deluxe is driven hard which makes the bottom disappear when using the neck pu.

I completely agree with this, especially the Tele part. I have been playing for over 40 years and often wondered what deal was about a Tele. If you get a nice one, it's simply magic...Wished I would have discovered this years ago!

So I had to try out this model with my Tele, and I have to admit it's pretty good.

But, OMG!, this is the model that was made for my Grestch 6120!!! :D:openmouth::screamcat::screamcat::screamcat::screamcat::screamcat:

It's the perfect amp for the 6120. Get just a little grit for roots rock rhythm, or add a bit more gain and it can really sing on some blues stuff. Wow.

Just wow.

Back
Top Bottom