Fractal Audio AMP models: Comet 60 (Komet 60)

O/T: Love that guitar - any experiences from the community here on Rahbek standard? GAS for one so badly dunno what will happen next ...
Simon, great playing, fantastic tone - thank you!

Back on Topic; thanks again yek for another inspiring review - will have to play this amp later today ... :)

O/T: Love that guitar - any experiences from the community here on Rahbek standard? GAS for one so badly dunno what will happen next ...
Simon, great playing, fantastic tone - thank you!

Back on Topic; thanks again yek for another inspiring review - will have to play this amp later today ... :)

I've tried two Rahbek guitars. They were both spec'ed very differently to what I would have spec'ed, but they were both very good guitars.
I've spoken to Peter Rahbek on a few occasions and he is a really great guy - I'd have complete confidence in him and wouldn't think twice about ordering from him if I was after a new guitar in that style.

Thanks guys for all your comments on my videos. These Komet amps are fantastic and Mike and Holger (komet) are just great guys - they build amps because they love killer guitartones.
I am very tempted to check out the Fractal versions of these amps that I know so well. Could be great to compare them in my studio to "the real deal". Cheers

I have no idea how the Fractal version compares to the real thing, but I spent too much time this morning playing a variety of guitars with the Comet 60 model in the AX8. This might be my new favorite amp model! That is until Yek posts information on more models that I have never tried...

I played the Comet Concord last night and what a great, dynamic amp with great "guitar volume" response with knob rolls/attenuation. Great "harmonic distortion and overtones" ... I could see this being a go-to amp.

So many choices ... :)

Yeah, baby. I loaded up some new Ownhammer IRs in stereo ultra-res. Kevin has a 2x12 diagonal Marshall set now? Used one with G12M's and the other with H's. Pulled the input gain back to around .25 and knocked off a little presence and that's about it. I hadn't visited this amp in awhile, but this amp required less tweaking than most for me to get a really killer basic tone. The only thing it doesn't do is clean. But this was a good find! Thanks for spurring us on to try new dishes, Yek!

Now if I could just get chops like Simon's...

Backpedaling: the tone stack on this amp sounded so smooth and natural to me that I decided to see how much impact it has on the gain structure of the preamp. So I tried zeroing the BMT. Still sounds great, but much less gain. So there's clean in there, and it sounds good. And using this method of turning down all three tone knobs a good deal seems to make it easier to dial in the sweet spot for that edge of breakup thing.

Thanks guys for all your comments on my videos. These Komet amps are fantastic and Mike and Holger (komet) are just great guys - they build amps because they love killer guitartones.
I am very tempted to check out the Fractal versions of these amps that I know so well. Could be great to compare them in my studio to "the real deal". Cheers

Just say the word and we can find a day where I can swing by with an Axe XL+ and perhaps also my real K60 ?
Might be interesting to hear the K60's side by side as mine is loaded with KT66's and from the tones you get I believe your's is loaded with EL34's, correct ?

Backpedaling: the tone stack on this amp sounded so smooth and natural to me that I decided to see how much impact it has on the gain structure of the preamp. So I tried zeroing the BMT. Still sounds great, but much less gain. So there's clean in there, and it sounds good. And using this method of turning down all three tone knobs a good deal seems to make it easier to dial in the sweet spot for that edge of breakup thing.

The tone controls really change the tone and timber of the amp a lot more than they do on most amps.
Also the K60 takes pedals really well.

Just say the word and we can find a day where I can swing by with an Axe XL+ and perhaps also my real K60 ?
Might be interesting to hear the K60's side by side as mine is loaded with KT66's and from the tones you get I believe your's is loaded with EL34's, correct ?
Yes, Mine has EL34 right now, but the one in my demos had 6L6 powertubes. (EL34 in the Concorde demo) - I am thinking about going back to 6L6...
But you live near where I live here in Denmark? And have a Komet amp...Do I know you already? Sorry for asking, if I do ;)

Yes, Mine has EL34 right now, but the one in my demos had 6L6 powertubes. (EL34 in the Concorde demo) - I am thinking about going back to 6L6...
But you live near where I live here in Denmark? And have a Komet amp...Do I know you already? Sorry for asking, if I do ;)

Well sort of - I've just PM'd you :)

Last edited:
I find it strange that the manufacturer explicitly says the Touch Response switch isn't just gain, but the suggestion to replicate it is simply to alter the gain (Input Trim). Someone here isn't being totally forthcoming! :p

Neither is 100% correct. The switch reduces the signal level out of the second gain stage. Trainwreck (and by extension, Komet) amps are largely 'inspired by' BF Fenders, inasmuch as it's triode>tone stack>triode>triode>power amp.

The K60 is a Fender preamp (with some Marshall values in the tone stack) followed by the cold-biased clipping tube from a MV Marshall (2203/2204). The Concorde adds a cathode follower in front of the PI, which is rather unusual.

This amp just blew me away. I paired it with the factory ValhallIR 4x12 USA Bk Shadow 202 A1 VH, and it's just gorgeous, the ultimate single channel amp.

I had tried it with other IRs before, but it never gelled with me. But Man, with the right IR, it's just unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom