Fractal Audio AMP models: Citrus Bass 200 (Orange AD200B)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *
Orangebass.jpg

Citrus Bass 200: based on Orange AD200B

The English company Orange has been around since 1968. More company background. You can’t miss the bright orange amps on stage, and they are found on many stages. That includes bass amps, used by Geddy Lee (Rush), Deftones and Mastodon.

The AD200B isn’t a “bells and whistles” kind of bass amp. It’s incredibly simple. Three tone knobs, gain and master volume. Oh yeah, you can choose between a passive or active input. That’s it. It runs on 6550 tubes (valves, as they call them in the U.K.), four of them, making it a 200 watts amp. The Gain control enables you to dial in an overdriven bass tone.

Orange:

“The AD200B MK 3 is quite simply one of the purest valve bass amplifiers ever produced, designed on the premise that the best tone often comes from the shortest signal path from guitar to speaker. The classic, uncomplicated design features inputs for both active and passive instruments, with a simple but effective EQ.​

With four 6550 output valves pushing 200 Watts of power, the AD200B has a creamy, dynamic low-end with a focused mid-range. The rounded gain structure reveals a wide spectrum of vintage and modern tones, from mellow hues perfect for flatwound strings, through to heavy percussive grind. Whatever the situation, there is no shortage of punch, which is just one of the reasons why the AD200B has appeared on some of the world’s biggest stages.”​

It’s a head. It’s unknown whether the Fractal Audio model is based on the latest MK 3 version of the amp, or an earlier one.

As always with Orange, the simple tone controls, Gain and Master are indicated by symbols on the front of the head.

Here’s the manual.

If you’re really a boss, you bring the 8x10 1200 watts cabinet! It’s so big that yo’ mama could live in it. The 10” speakers are from Eminence. We haven’t those IRs among our stock cabs. Take your pick from the other stock bass cabs. Or try the 4x10 Fender Bassguy cab for another flavor.

Orange has a number of audio clips on its site.

Last edited:
Count me in. This is a great sounding model! While I'm mostly using the Hiwatt through (strangely) one of the factory Princeton IR's for bass these days I do still occasionally use the AD200B.

I prefer the Citrus just a smidge -- just a smidge -- over the SV bass. Love both of those.

USA 2 is pretty good for my active bass, but USA 1 and FAS bass don't do much for me.

Could you theoretically get a nice bass sound using this amp + dropping octaves on guitar? Looking for some ways to recreate a decent bass sound on guitar since I don't currently have access to my bass.

I have a few presets I am trying to wrangle using this model. There just seems to be this super critical breaking point between a great and terrible bottom end on the bass amp models. This orange in particular gives me a nice midrange which I have left in my rough mixes. I don't get the urge to scoop much inside of 250-500. Patiently waiting for more bass amps to play with.

I use this amp all the time in my bass chain. It's got really sweet lows, so I blend it with another amp for grit and my bass is punchy as all Hell.

It's not bass players fault they are afraid of the axe fx. They ate twice the luddites that guitarists ate and have half the money. LOL

I have a few presets I am trying to wrangle using this model. There just seems to be this super critical breaking point between a great and terrible bottom end on the bass amp models. This orange in particular gives me a nice midrange which I have left in my rough mixes. I don't get the urge to scoop much inside of 250-500. Patiently waiting for more bass amps to play with.

I found the trick with this is outboard compression and the presence knob. The presence knob is really dramatic and clears things up a lot. Put a little bit of extra compression on, turn up the presence a bit and it smooths out the bottom end nicely

Back
Top Bottom