Fractal Audio AMP models: Capt Hook (Hook Captain 34)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models
captain%2034%20%20front.jpg

CAPT HOOK: based on HOOK Captain 34

The CAPT HOOK models are based on the Captain 34 by HOOK. This is a brand of boutique guitar amps, started by Leendert Haaksma (picture below), one of Holland’s finest guitar players, well-known for his work with the singer Anouk and many others artists and bands. The amps are built by Van der Haar.

Leendert.jpg

The Captain 34 (V2) is HOOK's flagship amp. It’s a 100 watts 3-channel EL34-based amp with 12AX7 preamp tubes. Plexi-based, adding its own vibe and a great clean channel. Hand-made.

HOOK:

“The Captain 34 is a 3 channel all-tube guitar amplifier with a plexi style EL34 poweramp.​
The power supply was redesigned to give that nice compression like you are turning your levels all the way up, even at lower volumes.​
This amp sucks the tone right out of your fingers!! You must feel it to believe it.​
The clean channel has sparkling clean with heaps of dynamics and a well balanced tone with smooth bass response and shimmering bell like highs. The EQ has some special features, a bright switch for extra highs and a eq cut function bypassing the tone circuit for extra gain and mid boost. There is also a (foot)switchable boost function giving just that extra gain for a texas tone. The clean channel works great with pedals too.​
The second channel has 2 different modes; normal and boost. The sound differs from light crunch through fat blues distortion to old school fat overdrive. This channel has its own gain and level knobs and shares the EQ with the 3rd channel. In addition to that there is an edge switch wich you can use to create more modern rock sounds.​
The lead channel has 2 different modes; a normal and a boost. In comparison to second channel this sound is more British voiced. This channel starts with crunch to vintage tube overdrive. In the boost mode more gain added for extra punch and sustain. The edge switch works also on the 3rd channel.”​

Richard Hallebeek, another fine Dutch pro player and longtime Fractal Audio artist, plays the Captain 34:

"That HOOK is my amp that I sent to Cliff for modeling it and using it in the new firmware. I did a tour with Guthrie and Jose de Castro through Holland and Germany a couple of years ago and then we all played through this amp. It's my main amp for some time now when I play live. It's capable of smooth distortion but also bluesy lead tones. We used a 2x12" HOOK cabinet with V30's at that time.”​
“The HOOK has a big sounding clean channel that's great for pedals. The blues tones are there, but with a gain pedal in front, it has a very open high gain lead tone.”​
"Leendert Haaksma, who builds these amps, sent the latest version of the head to Cliff."​
"The new models sound just like my real HOOK amp.. can't tell the difference in a blindfold test."​

Cliff:

"This amp uses a mu follower which yields a complex distortion with smooth decay. A mu follower is similar to a cascode configuration except the output is off the cathode instead of the plate. So the output impedance is lower."​
"To simulate the Boost switch use the Boost switch in the amp block as it has the same amount of gain."​

Review in German magazine Gitarre und Bass

We have models of all channels. The models are based on the head version of the amp. It has a single input.

Channel 1 has its own controls: Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Level. Plus a Bright switch (more highs), an EQ-bypass switch and a mid boost switch. The "1A" model was created with EQ and Boost off. The "1B" model was created with EQ and Boost on. The Gain control has a Pull function: use the Hook Clean 2 tonestack for this function.

Channels 2 and 3 have separate gain and level controls and share Bass/Mid/Treble controls and some switches: Boost and Edge. Edge alters the midrange and is enabled in the 2B and 3B models. Boost has not been modeled, use the amp block's Boost parameter instead.

The amp also has global Presence and Balls (resonance/depth) controls.

About the speakers, here's Richard Hallebeek again:

"I use smaller cabinets with G12 M Greenbacks and the 4x12" cabinet has Celestion V30's. I would recommend to try both to see what fits your taste. V30's have more of a sizzling high that's suitable if you are looking for a more high gain rock sound from the HOOK."​

A selection of YouTube videos:

More audio clips:

http://www.hookamps.com/captain34Iphone.php

Last edited:
Any basic guideline for dialing in? Just curious what everyone enjoys.

I've got the Hook Rhythm w/ Input Drive at 5, Bass: 4, Mid: 5, Treble: 6, Presence: 7, MV: 6. Gives a fairly overdriven rhythm tone akin to ac/dc.

Edit: Cab used is a 4x12 greenback, specifically the 1960B G12

Hook Rhy: Drive 7.75, Bass 3.5, Mid 8, Treble 7.5, Pres 4, MV 4.5, Boost engaged.

Currently digging it with CP 20 ML Brit HW IRs, stereo pair of E906 A1 and R121 A1 specifically, but also sounded good with OH Gib V30-V10, Factory Cab wise F55 & 176 was vibin' for me.

Last edited:
drive 6.2, bass 3.15, mid 6.6, treb 5.7, pres 5.55, mv 5.9. Using it with my favorite alloy mix from cab pack 8. 4x12 TV with G12M25's. I'm also doing a little tone shaping in the cab block with 80-9K cuts and modern hi-q cab pre 3.3 drive, 1.25 sat, -1db bass, 1.3db mid, and .45 db treble.

Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models
captain%2034%20%20front.jpg

CAPT HOOK: based on HOOK Captain 34

This post is based on Quantum 4.01 Public Beta firmware. Things can change in the final release.

The CAPT HOOK models are based on the Captain 34 by HOOK. This is a brand of boutique guitar amps, started by Leendert Haaksma, one of Holland’s finest guitar players, well-known for his work with the singer Anouk and many others artists and bands. The amps are built by Erik van der Haar.

The Captain 34 (V2) is HOOK's flagship amp. It’s a 100 watts 3-channel EL34-based amp with 12AX7 preamp tubes. Based on a 100 watts Plexi but adding its own vibe and a great clean channel. Hand-made with high-quality components.

HOOK:

“The Captain 34 is a 3 channel all-tube guitar amplifier with a plexi style EL34 poweramp.

The power supply was redesigned to give that nice compression like you are turning your levels all the way up, even at lower volumes.

This amp sucks the tone right out of your fingers!! You must feel it to believe it.

The clean channel has sparkling clean with heaps of dynamics and a well balanced tone with smooth bass response and shimmering bell like highs. The EQ has some special features, a bright switch for extra highs and a eq cut function bypassing the tone circuit for extra gain and mid boost. There is also a (foot)switchable boost function giving just that extra gain for a texas tone. The clean channel works great with pedals too.

The second channel has 2 different modes; normal and boost. The sound differs from light crunch through fat blues distortion to old school fat overdrive. This channel has its own gain and level knobs and shares the EQ with the 3rd channel. In addition to that there is an edge switch wich you can use to create more modern rock sounds.

The lead channel has 2 different modes; a normal and a boost.In comparison to second channel this sound is more British voiced.This channel starts with crunch to vintage tube overdrive. In the boost mode more gain added for extra punch and sustain. The edge switch works also on the 3rd channel.”​

Richard Hallebeek, another fine Dutch pro player and longtime Fractal Audio artist, plays the Captain 34. His remarks:

"That HOOK is my amp that I sent to Cliff for modeling it and using it in the new firmware. I did a tour with Guthrie and Jose de Castro through Holland and Germany a couple of years ago and then we all played through this amp. It's my main amp for some time now when I play live. It's capable of smooth distortion but also bluesy lead tones. We used a 2 x 12" HOOK cabinet with V30's at that time.”

“The HOOK has a big sounding clean channel that's great for pedals. The blues tones are there, but with a gain pedal in front, it has a very open high gain lead tone.”

"Leendert Haaksma, who builds these amps, sent the latest version of the head to Cliff."​

Cliff:

"This amp uses a mu follower which yields a complex distortion with smooth decay. The “Rhy” model is based on channel 2 and the “Lead” model is based on channel 3. Both channels are modeled with the Edge switch on and the Boost switch off. To simulate the Boost switch use the Boost switch in the amp block as it has the same amount of gain."​

Review in German magazine Gitarre und Bass.

We have models of channels 2 (model: RHY) and 3 (model: LEAD). The models are based on the head version.

The amp has a single input. Channels 2 and 3 have separate gain and level controls, and shared Bass/Mid/Treble controls and switches. The switches are Boost and Edge. Boost has not been modeled, just use the amp block's Boost parameter instead. Edge alters the midrange, and was enabled when the amp was modeled. The amp also has Presence and Balls (resonance/depth) controls.

About the speakers: here's Richard Hallebeek again:

"I use smaller cabinets with G12 M Greenbacks and the 4x12" cabinet has Celestion V30's. I would recommend to try both to see what fits your taste. V30's have more of a sizzling high that's suitable if you are looking for a more high gain rock sound from the HOOK."​

A selection of YouTube videos:

More clips:

http://www.hookamps.com/captain34Iphone.php

So this amp is really KILLER!

Thanks for your awesome write-ups @yek, you da man. Does anyone actually have this amp and cab combo? I would love to see if FAS or a forum member shoot a tonematch or a full-blown Impulse Response of that cab matched with the amp. I have not played with this one yet, but that tone is pretty much what I am seeking and am seeing that others may be feeling the same thing? :D :D :D

@FractalAudio/ @Admin M@ - Cliff-anator/M@-man, any chance you guys had the cab with that amp also and would be willing to capture an IR of the cab? It makes that amp sound huge!!!!

Not that this was recorded with a mix of the V30 and a WGS Veteran30, which is a much darker speaker and would warm up the V30 considerably.
In case anyone is searching for a WGS Veteran 30 impulse response, Rosen Digital is the only company that I know of that has one. It's in their Revv 4x12 cab. http://www.rosen.digital/studio-guitar-impulses/

[Edit] Whoops. Almost forgot about this one from ML. http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Cab_Pack_16_ML_Sure_Cabs_Collection_p/fas-801-0016.htm

Back
Top Bottom