Fractal Audio AMP models: Cameron CCV-100

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *
Ccv.jpg

Cameron CCV: based on Cameron CCV (duh)

The CCV is a 100 watts, two-channel head with EL34 power tubes, a single input and MIDI-support. Called by its controversial creator: “one pissed off amp". We talked about Mark Cameron in the Cameron Atomica edition.

As with the Atomica, the model of channel 1 doesn’t really move me. But (the model of) channel 2: oh yeah baby!

It’s nasty. It smolders, waiting to explode. It’s the amp you would select if you were the guitar player who’s tied to a car in Mad Max: Fury Road. If it was a car engine, it would be too hot to touch. It’s in-your-face aggressiveness in musical form. It’s Cameron Atomica's nephew who met wrong friends and succumbed to dealing drugs. It makes you play AC/DC till your fingers bleed. It’s the amp you would associate with an actual highway to hell. It’s, it’s, it’s … so much fun to play.

Cliff:

"It's a bit of a quirky amp and kind of a one-trick pony but, man, what a trick."​

And in case you’re wondering: “Hey, doesn’t this sound rather like a JCM 800 with Saturation turned on?” Yes, it does. Cliff:

"It's actually not a very high gain amp. The topology is very similar to a JCM800."​

And indeed, the Cameron's 2nd channel doesn't have that much gain. It just explodes because of the engaged Saturation parameter which attributes to its mean sound. It sounds even nastier (and much brighter) than the Cameron Atomica. A side-product of these cutting tones is that you may not like them as much for single notes high on the neck; they can sound thin. All IMHO of course. Cliff:

“The key to the CCV sound is the Sat Switch."​

Channel 1 has these controls: Punch (= Resonance / Depth), Presence, Master, Bass, Middle, Treble and Gain, and a lot of 3-way switches:
- Voicing: affects resonance.
- Dark: affects presence.
- Gain Style: adjusts “Jose Master” gain/clipping.
- Bright: controls treble and therefore gain (less noticeable at higher gain settings).

Channel 2 has these controls: Solo Master, Master, Bass, Middle, Treble, two Gain controls (the model has a single Drive control) and these 3-way switches:
- 2x Gain Style.
- 2x Bright.
- Drive.

According to the manual the CCV has a lot of mids already so don’t hesitate to turn Middle down.

Note that the Gain (model: Drive) taper control is peculiar. It goes from 0 to 100 at the very start, then hardly changes for the remainder. Cliff:

"Our reference amp has a linear taper pot so the behavior is very abrupt. The model matches the amp extremely accurately."​

So that’s a lot of knobs and switches! Cliff:

“The amp has a dozen switches and, frankly, there isn't a lot of difference between some of the settings. The Drive switch sounds virtually identical whether left or right. I don't like it in the middle."​

"The amp was modeled with the Voicing switch in the middle position.”​

“The "Dark" switch is the Negative feedback control. Set Negative Feedback to 3.6 to reproduce the switch in the middle position. Set it to 9.8 to reproduce the switch in the right position. 5.0 for left position (default).”​

“Bright-1 switch selects the Bright capacitor which you can alter via the Advanced menu.”​

The manual says this about the two Gain controls on channel 2:

“Use Gain 1 and Gain 2 together to get a myriad of gain options. Set one high, one low, set one switch to the left, one to the right, both on, both off, etc. Remember that the higher the knob is turned up, the less noticeable the switches become. Keep this in mind when you set the amp for the most gain. When adding gain (via the gain/clipping switches above the masters), turn back the gain pots to get a more noticeable effect from the gain switches (for better cut and more articulation). You can roll them back to noon and the amp will still have a lot of gain. There is no right or wrong way to set these knobs or switches. If it sounds good, it is good. Have fun and experiment!!”​

It’s an amp with a Master Volume on both channels. This means that the amp’s distortion is created in particular by the preamp tubes, not the power amp. The Master Volume, which works in the power amp section, is still very important to the tone and feel. You have to decide for yourself what setting in the model works for you best. The default setting is a good point to start of course.

Fractal Audio provides no less than 6 models of the CCV.

Models 1A and 1B capture channel 1. I assume that the difference between these two models is the Gain Style switch position.

Models 2A-to-2D capture channel 2 with the following switch settings:

2A: Bright-1 left, Bright-2 left, Gain Style left.
2B: Bright-1 left, Bright-2 right, Gain Style left.
2C: Bright-1 left, Bright-2 left, Gain Style right.
2D: Bright-1 left, Bright-2 right, Gain Style right.

Be careful! The output levels of the various models varies a lot.

This cab head is often used with 4x12 cabinets with G12H speakers. You’ll find the list of stock G12H cabs here. Alternatively you can use the EVH stock cabs with these amp models (try stock cab #124).

Videos:

Last edited:
The CCV and the HBE are my absolute favorite models!
The CCV is in your face and truly overwhelming...fantastic!

Still digging these amplifier reviews/series yek!

Keep 'em coming - causes me to explore areas/amps of the AXEFX I haven't focused on previously, while helping me understand the vast landscape of tube amps (which I'm still early on the learning curve). This tie to the "real world" is super helpful and greatly appreciated.

Still digging these amplifier reviews/series yek!

Keep 'em coming - causes me to explore areas/amps of the AXEFX I haven't focused on previously, while helping me understand the vast landscape of tube amps (which I'm still early on the learning curve). This tie to the "real world" is super helpful and greatly appreciated.

Amen

So this one has gotten reading some threads about the controversial Mark Cameron, one in particular where he is battling with the guys that bailed him out of his mess (or tried to) I know there's really 3 sides to the story and I don't know what true but it made for some entertaining reading.

So this one has gotten reading some threads about the controversial Mark Cameron, one in particular where he is battling with the guys that bailed him out of his mess (or tried to) I know there's really 3 sides to the story and I don't know what true but it made for some entertaining reading.
Yes, makes me glad I have a virtual version of this amp as it was clearly hit or miss getting a physical amp and I don't think I will ever even get to see one in person much less get a buying opportunity. I seriously considered buying one of these when they were first demoed/announced. Controversy or no, I love these tones and I am stoked that the AFX has versions of them.These amps are *my* "Dumbles" so to speak. Much thanks to FAS for procuring this and producing such epic models.

Now, if we could just get a Cameron Aldrich/Old B*tch the Cameron Hat Trick would be complete! ;)

What a fun guitar themed soap opera though reading the RT forums about the amps lol

As stated, so glad I have an Axe and all I do is download a free firmware update to get new amp models, not send a bunch of money off for hardware that never even gets delivered

I have my own personal story about MC...but no need for that.

Anyone know any notable players who use a Cameron CCV? Off the top of my head I thought the guy from Y&T (Dave M-something), but drawing a blank after that.

R

Yes, makes me glad I have a virtual version of this amp as it was clearly hit or miss getting a physical amp and I don't think I will ever even get to see one in person much less get a buying opportunity. I seriously considered buying one of these when they were first demoed/announced. Controversy or no, I love these tones and I am stoked that the AFX has versions of them.These amps are *my* "Dumbles" so to speak. Much thanks to FAS for procuring this and producing such epic models.

Now, if we could just get a Cameron Aldrich/Old B*tch the Cameron Hat Trick would be complete! ;)

As I love Aldrich's tones (not to mention his playing), I'm all about anything he uses and would love to have it in our box. Though it seems one never knows what he uses. I've heard he swore by Wizard and Marshall Vintage Modern (an amp I really dig in person though it's been a while since I played one) would love to get those 2 in the AF2 also!

I have my own personal story about MC...but no need for that.

Anyone know any notable players who use a Cameron CCV? Off the top of my head I thought the guy from Y&T (Dave M-something), but drawing a blank after that.

R
The CCV was produced in such small numbers and the business situation was so tumultuous I wouldn't expect them to be very prevalent. You'd probably have better luck finding Cameron Jose modded Marshalls in use since that is how MC made his name... but mods are hard to track and the details always seem to need a grain of salt to go with them. People are still arguing about whether EVH's original #1 plexi was stock or not.

Well this amp was a bit of a surprise.
I thought "lets just pick a random amp" I saw a list of about 5 dedicated to this amp so naturally my mouse had a higher chance of a hit and I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.
The clean channel seems to have loads of headroom and the gain channels have plenty of clarity.

Here's my preset

Attachments

• Cameroon TM.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 32
I have yet to find a better amp model than the ccv ... it´s like the best of mesas and marshalls/friedman/bogners in one ....love it to death, and prefer it more than many of my boutique tube amps /,,/

there is something very interesting about this amp for sure. I jammed the other night with it and on many tunes it was amazing. Very clear but I need to fatten it up a bit. Just not sure if it's low end or mids.

Back
Top Bottom