Fractal Audio AMP models: Cali Leggy and Legato 100 (Carvin Legacy VL100)

Cliff said a while ago that he didn't have this amp anymore, would be cool to have confirmation of how up-to-date the model is

Prometh posted these settings awhile back the Keeley mod one sounds great in front of the Carvin model

Drive settings for the Original DS-1 (lowest settings, full volume):
  • Effect Type: ProCo Rat
  • Drive: 1.9
  • Tone: 4
  • Low Cut: 150
  • High Cut: 15000
  • Clip Type: 4558/Diode
  • Bias: 0.05
  • Bass: 12
  • Mid: 450Hz, 4dB
  • Treble: -3
  • Level: 5

Notes:
  1. I'd say this is about 95% accurate. The only thing that's different is full gain isn't as light sounding. You can try dropping more bass, but it's still not exactly the same
  2. max tone is Tone:10, Bass:-9, Mid:2, Treble:5
  3. max drive is Drive:8

The Robert Keeley version has 2 modes, accessed via a switch. Up is the original SEM (seeing eye mod) mode and down is the newer ULTRA SEM mode. ULTRA SEM mode was mainly intended to replicate the sound of a Marshall amp, so it may not be as useful.

The chain looks like this: Filter->Drive

Filter settings:
  • Type: Lowshelf
  • Gain: 3 (4 for ULTRA SEM)
  • Frequency: 300
  • Q: 0.7

Drive settings for SEM mode (lowest settings, full volume):
  • Drive: 1.9
  • Tone: 4
  • Bias: 0.05
  • Mid: 450Hz, 4dB
  • Treble: -3
  • Level: 6

Drive settings for ULTRA SEM mode (lowest settings, full volume):
  • Drive: 2.3
  • Tone: 2.25
  • Bias: 0.4
  • Mid: 450Hz, 5dB
  • Treble: 0
  • Level: 6

Notes:
  1. SEM mode is about 95–100% accurate, whereas ULTRA SEM mode is about 90–95% accurate
  2. SEM mode max tone is Tone:10, Bass:-12, Treble:12, and the Filter's Gain at 1dB
  3. SEM mode max drive is Drive:8
  4. ULTRA SEM mode max tone is Tone:10, Bass:-6, Mid:2, Treble:7, and the Filter's Gain at 2dB
  5. ULTRA SEM mode max drive is Drive:7

A good experiment would be to try out how Steve Vai and Joe Satriani mainly use this pedal, which is simply as a boost. Just use the minimum settings in SEM mode with full volume (which, on the actual pedal would be tone:0 distortion:0 and level:10).

I've had these pedals a long time and don't use them anymore, but figured I'd reproduce their sounds before gettin' rid of 'em.

Original thread:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/boss-ds-1-and-keeley-mods.28975/

Last edited:
Every time I have re-tried these amps with settings as Yek has suggested in this ongoin thread, it proves to be fairly revelatory, specially given the recent advances by Cliff and co...this Legacy being no exception ,...

I was playing around with this amp just now, and discovered that with Drive around 1.05, and Input trim 0.5 and Yek's settings elsewhere, one of the sweetest cleans yet is to be found.........

Cliff said a while ago that he didn't have this amp anymore, would be cool to have confirmation of how up-to-date the model is

Steve Vai claims in his run-through of the latest Legacy 3, that Channels 1 and 2 are identical to Legacy 1, so my guess is.... pretty damn close to what we got is up to date....

I just checked all my presets. Searched for Legend, nothing. Searched for 100, got a few other models but not the Legend 100. Even looking on the Wiki for the banks, I don't see it.

Been out of the game for a while but checked back in on the old leggy' tonight. It seems to have changed monumentally since the earlier versions and smashed the vai tones beautifully. Loved the note clarity. Something I overlooked at the time was using the right IR, a nice off centre v30 cab, a little delay and reverb and boy does it sing. In fact you can crank the gain up to nigh on max with evos and it still doesn't get muddy- think this sounds better than using the ds-1 in front. New favourite lead amp!!! Thank you Cliff and the fractal team

I've been running through all the new amps since upgrading from the II to FM9, and I recently discovered this gem. Specifically the "Legend 100 II." Since it's a fairly dark amp, it pairs extremely well with the bright strat pickups. Anyone that likes high-gain + strat (paging @2112 ) really needs to check this one out.

Liquid leads on the neck positions, and screaming leads on the bridge. Roll back the volume and you get a nice crunch as well. All with very little single-coil hum.

I just have to quote myself from the G.O.T. thread:
omg-yes.gif

This thing might not sound as sweet as AC-20 on its own, but when you listen to it in the mix... It's like one of the best tones I've ever played.
An when Mr. Vai's block settings are applied... For the love of God, what an amazing amp!!

Back
Top Bottom