Fractal Audio AMP models: CA3+ (Custom Audio Amplifiers 3+ SE)

Yeah, same here sadly.

I actually owned a CAE 3+ SE some years back. Paired it with a VHT 2/50/2 power amp (yes, Lukather fan). I used it on dozens of studio sessions and with dozens of different cabs, with great results. I can’t get the Axe fx model to sound even close, regardless of ir’s or advanced tweaking. I find the model quite boomy, muddy and fizzy, while the real amp was tight, focused an punchy.

My guess is that it’s something I’m not doing right or something I’m not considering, but I don’t want to spend more time figuring out what that is anymore. So I also just moved along.
Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but did you try the Cut parameter in the Amp block?

Was messing about with this model last night. It sounds great clean boosted with a drive pedal and through the 4x12 German IR. Give it a go, really heavy and tight. I think I had it about Gain 5, Bass 5, Mids 6, Treble 7, Presence 5 and Depth 4 with the Master turned down a bit.
Yeha it might sound good using a boost but thats really not how everyone used it so something is off that no one can get it to work right.

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but did you try the Cut parameter in the Amp block?
Yes, i did. It did help slightly, but still not anywhere near my actual 3+ SE.
Again, not saying there’s anything wrong with the model. It’s probably just me not understanding something. But there’s so many great models in there, that I just moved on.

Funny thing about the cut knob. I have a Dr.Z Maz at home. Just for fun, I plugged the AX8 in to the fx return on my actual Maz and loaded up the Maz model in the AX8. I turned of power amp modeling and tried to get as close as possible to the real amp using the real Maz’s power amp and cab. I didn’t start to get close to the real thing before I engaged the cut knob. Then I got surprisingly close! So the cut knob is kind of important on some models.

I honestly think this model is lacking. It is wayyy too fuzzy sounding without a boost. It has zero chance of getting the tight Megadeth tone on CTE that I can get on the real unit. This is the only model I find disappointing which sucks as I love the CTE tone dave got.

I honestly think this model is lacking. It is wayyy too fuzzy sounding without a boost. It has zero chance of getting the tight Megadeth tone on CTE that I can get on the real unit. This is the only model I find disappointing which sucks as I love the CTE tone dave got.
I think @FractalAudio should do a CAE 3+ CTE model just like they did the USA IIC++ 👍

I used to gig with a CAE 3+ SE and the Fractal model seems very close to what I recall. Cliff has stated in the past that the CA3+ model has a Marshall style power amp which is probably why it matches my expectations pretty closely (I used a Boogie 2:90). Since it's got a Marshall style power section that means it's most likely going to have different power tubes than Mustaine used (I don't remember off the top of my head what the CA3+ model has for power amp tubes but it's probably 6L6 or EL34). Mustaine used a VHT 2150 power amp which come with KT88s. The 2150 is a very tight and clear poweramp with a lot of clean headroom compared to a typical Marshall. Note that on CTE, Mustaine did not use a ton of gain. And don't be afraid to kick up the highs and mids - Dave's tone is brighter than most people seem to dial up.

So some things to try:
  • Use the CA3+ Rhythm channel - IIRC, it's tighter than the lead channel and you shouldn't need more gain assuming you're using reasonably hot humbuckers as input (if not, increase the input trim on the amp block)
  • Change Power Tube Type to KT88 like the 2150. Also, try 6550s since he may have swapped the tubes.
  • Increase Negative Feedback
  • Increase Power Amp Hardness
  • Lower Power Tube Grid Bias
  • Use a Marshall 4x12 with V30s cab - probably a 57 or 421 for the mic
  • Keep the bass down. If you're lacking low end, try bringing up the Depth or adding some EQ after the amp/cab

Also, you may want to keep the Master Volume down more than you might expect. With the 2150, I don't think Dave was getting much power amp distortion - not like a Marshall anyhow.

Y
Also, you may want to keep the Master Volume down more than you might expect. With the 2150, I don't think Dave was getting much power amp distortion - not like a Marshall anyhow.

Yeah you have no idea how much I've messed with the MV trying to get it to tighten up but also not sound weak and fizzy.

This is a repost from Facebook Group (as I didn't get answers,) but do you have any ideas on how to tweak CA3+ model into a CAE3+, not a +SE? It's said CAE3+ and +SE sound different from each other but I can't find out tricks to fill in the gap. Especially I'd like to know about Channel 3 (Lead).

Back
Top Bottom