Fractal Audio AMP models: CA3+ (Custom Audio Amplifiers 3+ SE)

good old HRI

does this forum still exist?? do people still go there?

the axe-fx fixed my gas for amps and fx
I keep in touch with most of them through Facebook now. HRI was (and I am sure still is) great.
Sold all my Bradshaw system now I have the Axefx. Quite amazing really.

Still have a CAE SE3+ out in storage, along with a Bogner Fish and prototype Egnater IE-4 (red face plate), all from my days chasing tone and my GAS addiction. All 3 very capable pre-amps back in the day, each with a unique personality and different fit depending on style. But the 3+ clean was untouchable IMO. Rarely get played now, the AxeFx pretty much ended my GAS (although I need to play a Suhr Hedgehog one of these days - just for fun)

Based on the PDF it looks as if the post EQ acts as an active EQ since there are both cuts and boosts. Very nice and very helpful. Thanks!

I have used this thing since i got my Ultra in 2009. I used a Mesa 50/50 and mostly the crunch channel.

Now it's mostly the lead channel..... It's my fav high gain lead tone in the axe. Can be bright, but it cuts so well in any mix. Kind of mix of Marshall and some Mesa overtones. Very unique amp.

I have been into some Lukather-esque tones during Easter. This amp delivers in spades. The rhythm channel is so dynamic, and the lead channel is so smooth and liquid - really love it.

I'm still confused about the Presence & Depth controlling the Post EQ options vs the Power Amp page controlling them. Any thoughts on that? I am having the hardest time getting a tight palm mute when riffing with this pre. Blows me away that people are getting Megadeth palm mutes from it. Mine are sounding flubby and soft, not tight and crisp. I must be missing something critical. Help!

I never really bonded with this model on my Ultra. Decided to dial it up on my AX8 before a gig last night and within 20 minutes I had one of my favourite sets of tones I've found so far in the unit. Definitely a keeper.

I'm still confused about the Presence & Depth controlling the Post EQ options vs the Power Amp page controlling them. Any thoughts on that? I am having the hardest time getting a tight palm mute when riffing with this pre. Blows me away that people are getting Megadeth palm mutes from it. Mine are sounding flubby and soft, not tight and crisp. I must be missing something critical. Help!

I agree. I can't seem to get a tight tone out of it either. It seems like i can get closer to a countdown to extinction tone from a mark iv model than the cae. Im doing something wrong.

I actually owned a CAE 3+se some years back. Used it with a VHT 2/50/2 power amp and a Mesa standard 412. And I agree that the model in the Axe sounds more flubby and overpowered in the bass area than what I can remember the actual 3+se being. I have to engage the bass cut switch and raise the low cut in the preamp tab to at least 100hz to even get close to what I remembered.

I also wonder about the Depth and Presence knob in the Axe and what they actually model with the 3+se. The VHT 2/50/2 power amp actually has a depth and presence knob, so maybe they are set to work like those... I know someone has stated that a VHT 2/50/2 was used to match some of the preamp models in the Axe, but can't confirm it...

I thought I read that Cliff matched it with the Power Section of a Marshall Plexi ..., as that's what John Suhr originally designed it to work with ?

Also, the preamp itself has a post channel Bass / Treble control that I don't think was built into the model either ? You could probably simulate that w/ the internal EQ though ?

The CAE 3+SE with a Boogie 2:90 is awesome.

Another great preamp that most folks don't know about is the Brunetti Mille. I've had a couple Fish over the years I think the Mille is even better.

Back
Top Bottom