Fractal Audio AMP models: CA Tucana (Carol-Ann Tucana 3)

The Tucana is my favorite amp in the Axe. It's really versatile, and you're right, there's something about the mids. The Tuc has a lot of 'em, and if you need to be heard in a busy mix, it's just about perfect for that. This is the only amp that I really want to own in real life because of my experience with the AF2.

The Tucana is my favorite amp in the Axe. It's really versatile, and you're right, there's something about the mids. The Tuc has a lot of 'em, and if you need to be heard in a busy mix, it's just about perfect for that. This is the only amp that I really want to own in real life because of my experience with the AF2.

I've been contemplating as well getting myself a Tucana based on my experience with it in the Axe Fx 2 and the Ax8. That and the Morgan AC20 would be the two that I'd buy if I'd get a couple of real amps now.

Bringing this thread back in light of the new modeling. Just built a patch around it last night and I have to say, it's smooth. I liked this amp before (it was my primary in the Axe 2 for a year or so), but I like it better now.

I'm curious if people have found good "roll off the volume" sounds with it, though? I notice that if there is one criticism with this model, it's that it's so smooth that you don't quite get that glassiness you get from, say, a Plexi or the Bogner Blue models when you roll back. It still feels a bit compressed even at lower guitar volumes.

The high gain sounds, on the other hand, are killer, and one of the best lead tones IMHO in the Axe (that's my taste, of course, but I like me some mids in my leads).

I will say that I prefer the Triptik clean to the Tucana clean, though. I find the Tucana's clean to be a little sterile (kinda like the Mark IV's clean). It's clean, but not terribly interesting unless you are playing jazz. The Triptik's clean seems to have a little more give and character going on.

This thread made me go and have a play with the Tucana and I’ve found myself building a patch that sounds nearly identical to my (real) Cornford Hellcat! Wasn’t expecting that ... and it takes a bit of EQ finessing (bit more low end and some low-mid cut, plus a touch of hi-mid boost) but straight out the smooth gain structure reminded me of my Hellcat and I tweaked from there. I also changed the power tubes to EL84s ... so cool what we can do!!

I had tried, and not been able, to make the AF2 Cornford MK50II amp sound anything like my hellcat so really pleased I stumbled on this. Yet another reason to leave my valve amps in the garage

I'm curious if people have found good "roll off the volume" sounds with it, though? I notice that if there is one criticism with this model, it's that it's so smooth that you don't quite get that glassiness you get from, say, a Plexi or the Bogner Blue models when you roll back. It still feels a bit compressed even at lower guitar volumes.

yes, i've noticed this too. have a look at "preamp comp". it's set at zero by default, but try cranking it to about 70%

Back
Top Bottom