Fractal Audio AMP models: Brit Silver (Marshall Silver Jubilee)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Jubilee.png

Brit Silver: based on Marshall Silver Jubilee

1987 was Marshall’s 25th anniversary. To celebrate they released the Silver Jubilee. Model 2555 was a 100 watts Jubilee, 2550 was 50 watts. It looks very classy with its chrome mirrored panel and silver tolex. The Jubilee is a valuable amp, listing 19th on Vintage Guitar’s list of most valuable amps. Marshall still has a recently released Vintage Re-issue 2555X and a Mini Jubilee in its product line, reviewed by Premier Guitar here.

The Jubilee is partly based on the JCM 800. Compared to the JCM 800, a Jubilee sounds darker and thicker, and has more gain at lower levels, partly thanks to the addition of a diode circuit. It runs on EL34 power tubes and has a single input. It has two channels: Clean and Lead. On the clean channel you can pull out Input Gain to activate the Rhythm Clip mode, for a crunchy sound. Marshall used the Jubilee to introduce Pentode/Triode switching, which halves power output. More info in the current re-issue's handbook.

Famous Jubilee players are Joe Bonamassa and Alex Lifeson (Rush). Slash used one in his live GnR rig and with Velvet Revolver. The “Slash Signature” amp (prior to the AFD) was a Jubilee.

The Jubilee has these controls: Presence, Bass, Mid, Treble, Output Master, Lead Master and Input Gain (pull-out: Rhythm Clip).

Bonamassa sets the controls on his Jubilee like this:
Presence 5, Bass 10, Mid 7.5, Treble 4.5, Master 10, Gain 5.​

The Brit Silver model is based on the Jubilee. Select that amp model and you'll immediately notice the dark, fat tones, so much different from the Plexi and JCM 800 types.

Personal note: looking at Marshall’s current catalogue, I’d much rather own the 2555 re-issue (Jubilee) than a JVM410. The 2555 reminds me of amps by Bogner, Friedman, Carol-Ann etc.​

The Jubilee goes with a Marshall 4x12 cabinet with Vintage 30 speakers. Look them up here. Or if you want to copy Joe Bonamassa, use EV-12L speakers.

A selection of YouTube videos:

Last edited:
I've always loved the look of these amps.. never could find them back in the 90's when I was using a 2203 head a lot. I wanted one bad..

i bought one of these new in 1987 with a matching cabinet. it was actually the short head model with a 2x12 slope front cab. worth an absolute fortune these days (if you can find one). unusual in that you can crank the bass, unlike other marshalls, where you typically have to reduce bass to stop it being flubby. definitely has a character all it's own.

you can see the dimensions of the short head compared to the original here...

ju_stack_k.jpg

Yek, thank you for doing these write-ups. In many of these, I've learned things about the amps that I didn't know prior, and they've helped me rediscover some models I haven't touched in a while!

Awesome Yek ! I have to mess around with this one a little more. For some reason I can't seem to get close on the JB tone with it. I find I have better luck finding his tone with a Dumble - ODS HRM. But I won't give up on the silver ! If anyone has any good JB tones with the silver please post your settings/preset, I would love to check it out.

I think John Frusciante also uses a 2555.

Another great write-up Yek. I will try this tonight (I had an Ax-less night yesterday :confused:)

I once owned the 2205 (50W dual channel JCM800) which also used the diode clipping circuit - I actually liked that kind of drive very much (although it was frowned upon by tube afficionados). Any advice on how to emulate the diode clipping circuit with the Ax?

i bought one of these new in 1987 with a matching cabinet. it was actually the short head model with a 2x12 slope front cab. worth an absolute fortune these days (if you can find one). unusual in that you can crank the bass, unlike other marshalls, where you typically have to reduce bass to stop it being flubby. definitely has a character all it's own.

you can see the dimensions of the short head compared to the original here...

ju_stack_k.jpg

How close is the model in the AF2 would you say?

I'm liking those joe b setting with the bass cranked. Find the right IR and cut some of the bass flub and it works. Or put a pedal like the rat in front and that bass on 10 works. Thick but but not flubby

Back
Top Bottom