Fractal Audio AMP models: Brit Pre and JMPre-1 (Marshall JMP-1)

Not really actually. I think the clean clean british voiced models in the Ax are far apart. I know that 'nobody cares for clean anyway', but I play a lot of clean stuff. It is not like, I cannot find a good clean amp in the Ax, but there is already a plethora of drive models in the Ax, and I just notice that you often only model the drive channels of modern amps (especially Marshalls). I'd like more models, where you can turn the input gain past noon and still have a mostly clean sound.
Now you kinda know what us bass players feel like.

I was trying to get less gain from the Brit pre yesterday but that thing doesn't clean up well even with the trim.
I think I was using the wrong one.
Was going a for. Mark Engles - Dredge jcm 900 thing

Anyone know why the Master Volume defaults to 4 if there is no MV on this amp? I thought the amps with no MV defaulted to 10? Also, what does the MV do in this amp model?

I have been enjoying the JMPre-1 OD1 BS model today, playing around with a clean tone.... Input Volume at .142 and Input Drive at 4.23... did a little 5 band passive EQ and linked a Rich Hall reverb, very sweet thick clean on the neck HB pickup. On my Y setting I put the Input Trim to 1 and Input Drive to 6.15 and have played around with the MV for variations of crunch and lead, but not sure what it is doing. Will experiment some more.

Yek, love this work of yours, always new stuff to experiment with.

My story about the JMP-1 goes back to 1998.

I got my first JMP-1 preamp, when I was touring, and gigging with Tony Parsons (early Iron Maiden) and Les Binks (Judas Priest) in covers bands. From 1998 until 2022, when I got my FM3, this was all I used on everything. literally everything. sessions, lessons, records, tours, you name it. I had to sell one of them and a JFX-1 back in 2020 because of the pandemic, and I always wished that Marshall would put out a JMP-2 with on board effects and a tuner. But they never did.

Phil Wells, one of the techs at Marshall, once told me all about the JMP-1, and how unique it was. Funny enough, my old bass player was in a band with Phil Collen called Girl before he joined Def Leppard. When Phil's mum died, we went round to clear out her garden shed, and found an old hand made 4x12" cab that Phil had made, loaded with Greenback 25watts. the cabinet is gone, but the speakers are safe.

My reasons for upgrading were that, after gigging the JMP-1's since 1998, in 2022 they started to fail on me. The effects loops started to go, and were cutting in and out. plus the units were getting old, and had other intermittent faults.

I looked at first in 2008, into getting into the Line 6 Pod things, in the hope of maybe preservering my beloved OD1 Bass Shift tone, (my nickname is OD-1 Kenobi! ha!) but they were just God awful, and I lasted about 2 weeks with those things.
In 2022, I was live streaming a heck of a lot (lots of front page promo stuff) on Twitch, and just bit the bullet and got an FM3.

As luck would have it Leon Todd did a tonematch of the JMP-1's emulated speaker outs, and in a matter of minutes, I had completely replicated my tone, preserved forever, along with my Dunlop Wah, MXR Dynacomp (I don't use any overdrives for boost) and '74 reissue Phase 90. ... only this time, I have way more control and far less noise.

right now, I look back on when I had these rigs, and just wished I had something small and compact like I do now with the FM3. The additional FC-6 is simply a game changer too, along with the much better EV-1 (way more expressive)
I still use the JMP-1 OD1 Bass Shift tone, along with the brown sound, some plexi's etc.. but I am, on a daily basis, constantly bemused at how errily spot on the tone, and feel, of the models are. and the effects are world class too. I don't know how Fractal have done it, but they have. two or my students, and three of my friends have since bought FM3's on hearing mine.

I will eventually either get another FM3, or FM9 to take out to gigs with me.. I took my students out a few weeks back, and it sounded identical to my JMP-1 through FOH. not just close. Identical. spooky stuff.
So that ends my tone search frankly, Fractal all the way.
P.S. sorry if i'm posting in the wrong thread here! eek!

My story about the JMP-1 goes back to 1998.

I got my first JMP-1 preamp, when I was touring, and gigging with Tony Parsons (early Iron Maiden) and Les Binks (Judas Priest) in covers bands. From 1998 until 2022, when I got my FM3, this was all I used on everything. literally everything. sessions, lessons, records, tours, you name it. I had to sell one of them and a JFX-1 back in 2020 because of the pandemic, and I always wished that Marshall would put out a JMP-2 with on board effects and a tuner. But they never did.

Phil Wells, one of the techs at Marshall, once told me all about the JMP-1, and how unique it was. Funny enough, my old bass player was in a band with Phil Collen called Girl before he joined Def Leppard. When Phil's mum died, we went round to clear out her garden shed, and found an old hand made 4x12" cab that Phil had made, loaded with Greenback 25watts. the cabinet is gone, but the speakers are safe.

My reasons for upgrading were that, after gigging the JMP-1's since 1998, in 2022 they started to fail on me. The effects loops started to go, and were cutting in and out. plus the units were getting old, and had other intermittent faults.

I looked at first in 2008, into getting into the Line 6 Pod things, in the hope of maybe preservering my beloved OD1 Bass Shift tone, (my nickname is OD-1 Kenobi! ha!) but they were just God awful, and I lasted about 2 weeks with those things.
In 2022, I was live streaming a heck of a lot (lots of front page promo stuff) on Twitch, and just bit the bullet and got an FM3.

As luck would have it Leon Todd did a tonematch of the JMP-1's emulated speaker outs, and in a matter of minutes, I had completely replicated my tone, preserved forever, along with my Dunlop Wah, MXR Dynacomp (I don't use any overdrives for boost) and '74 reissue Phase 90. ... only this time, I have way more control and far less noise.

right now, I look back on when I had these rigs, and just wished I had something small and compact like I do now with the FM3. The additional FC-6 is simply a game changer too, along with the much better EV-1 (way more expressive)
I still use the JMP-1 OD1 Bass Shift tone, along with the brown sound, some plexi's etc.. but I am, on a daily basis, constantly bemused at how errily spot on the tone, and feel, of the models are. and the effects are world class too. I don't know how Fractal have done it, but they have. two or my students, and three of my friends have since bought FM3's on hearing mine.

I will eventually either get another FM3, or FM9 to take out to gigs with me.. I took my students out a few weeks back, and it sounded identical to my JMP-1 through FOH. not just close. Identical. spooky stuff.
So that ends my tone search frankly, Fractal all the way.
P.S. sorry if i'm posting in the wrong thread here! eek!
Do you have the tone match link for the JMP-1 that Leon Todd provided?

I love my JMP-1's but I try not to play any of them very often since one of my JMP-1's had started having issues and I was told by an amp tech that they are pretty close to impossible to fix these days.

Do you have the tone match link for the JMP-1 that Leon Todd provided?

I love my JMP-1's but I try not to play any of them very often since one of my JMP-1's had started having issues and I was told by an amp tech that they are pretty close to impossible to fix these days.
absolutely, he posted it on this forum a few years back, I've attached it here. let me find the thread as well, as he mentions that a PEQ block could acheive the same effect. 4-pole EQ filter sort of thing.

Attachments

• JMP1 Speaker Sim.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 16
The JMPre Clean1 model is my go-to clean sound, probably because it feels exactly the same as my real-life Marshall DSL40C. It's nice having lots of options, but sometimes familiar is best…

Just discovered this amp today, and what a beast. Sort of like the TriAxis is for the Boogie sound, this just sounds like how I expect a Marshall to sound in every respect. I’ve never played either model in real life, but I love these.

Back
Top Bottom