Fractal Audio AMP models: Brit 800 and Brit 800 Mod (Marshall JCM 800)

Really enjoying all these posts yek- thanks!
I had a verticle input 2203 head w/ 6550's for a number of years- was my first Marshall. I ran it with the Master turned up around half and the gain set to where it would break up some w/ the guitar full up and then hit it w/ a few pedals (TS10, Butler Tube Driver, old fuzz face, treble booster). It worked well for me and was absolutely bullet proof tough. I thought it had THE sound until I got an early 70's head.. wish I still had both. I sold that 2203 to someone on TGP in the early 2000's for about $500.

Hoping to get a little more information about the Brit 800 Mod. A lot people were modifying theirs to have an extra gain stage. Is this what the Brit 800 Mod is doing or is it something entirely different?

Does anybody know what the differences were between the JCM 800 MV models and the Late 70's versions? As far as I remember, the 70's versions seemed warmer, albeit with less gain, perhaps.

Does setting the input trim on this to .5 accurately simulate the low input of the amp? In many other models the Axe-FX works this way but I don't see this explicitly stated for the Brit 800. Even when I run the input trim at .5 and drop the preamp gain all the way to 0, I still get some distortion with my PAF's running at full, although I can get it to clean up by turning down the knobs on the guitar.

Does setting the input trim on this to .5 accurately simulate the low input of the amp? In many other models the Axe-FX works this way but I don't see this explicitly stated for the Brit 800. Even when I run the input trim at .5 and drop the preamp gain all the way to 0, I still get some distortion with my PAF's running at full, although I can get it to clean up by turning down the knobs on the guitar.
It does

Yay!

I'm somewhat curious on how the input-trim-as-input-selector system works. My understanding is that the 2204 low input removes the first tube from the signal chain, so in the Axe-FX as you move from input trim "1" down to ".5" is it gradually removing that tube from the model?

Yay!

I'm somewhat curious on how the input-trim-as-input-selector system works. My understanding is that the 2204 low input removes the first tube from the signal chain, so in the Axe-FX as you move from input trim "1" down to ".5" is it gradually removing that tube from the model?
No. It's just a pre-gain control. It attenuates the signal in to the front of the amp block.

Ah, as I do more research into the Input Trim and the hi/lo inputs of the 2204 its a little disappointing to find that the Axe-FX doesn't really work the way the real amp does. The real amp does drop a gain stage when you plug into the Lo, so you get less compression, more headroom, and makes it a better pedal platform. I know that I can simply use another model for that (i.e. the many plexi's) but I liked the simplicity of using a single model and being able to fiddle with BMT knobs while playing in a way that simultaneously effects both my clean and dirt channels... just a very organic oldschool experience.

Don't suppose anyone has a good idea on simulating bypassing the first gain stage on the Brit 800? Maybe somewhere in the advanced Preamp page?

Don't suppose anyone has a good idea on simulating bypassing the first gain stage on the Brit 800? Maybe somewhere in the advanced Preamp page?
Assign a scene controller to input trim, drive and output level. Use it to reduce the trim and drive and increase the level simultaneously when you change scenes.

Use a second amp block with reduced drive and input trim, increased output level settings. Switch between blocks.

Use the Y side of the amp block to reduce the drive, input trim and increase the output level. Switch between X and Y.

Assign a scene controller to input trim, drive and output level. Use it to reduce the trim and drive and increase the level simultaneously when you change scenes.

Use a second amp block with reduced drive and input trim, increased output level settings. Switch between blocks.

Use the Y side of the amp block to reduce the drive, input trim and increase the output level. Switch between X and Y.
Thanks, this is kinda like what I'm doing right now. But I'm wondering more about simulating the less compressed response of the Lo channel in the 2204. Would it help to change the Preamp Tube Type to one of the ones with higher Preamp Hardness?

Thanks, this is kinda like what I'm doing right now. But I'm wondering more about simulating the less compressed response of the Lo channel in the 2204. Would it help to change the Preamp Tube Type to one of the ones with higher Preamp Hardness?
Compression? I'm not sure what you mean. Preamps don't compress input signals -- they boost and possibly clip them (I suppose you could argue this is a form of hard limiting or compression). If you give yourself the clean headroom in to the preamp, so there's no clipping, you're on par with what the low input on the IRL amp does.

Use a plexi model for the low input... should be close.

Back
Top Bottom