Fractal Audio AMP models: Bogfish (Bogner Fish)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *
Fish.png

Bogfish: based on Bogner Fish preamp

Bogner is a guitar amplifier manufacturing company, founded by the very entertaining and eccentric Reinhold Bogner. The Fish is his all-tube blue-colored 12AX7 pre-amp from the ’90s. It’s most famous for its use by Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains. It was re-issued (for a short time) a few years ago.

Bogner:

“The Fish preamp was created in 1989-90 and ushered in a new era of boutique design and tone. It featured 4 channels: Country, Strato, Shark and Brown that covered a wide range of tones from crystalline clean to heavy modified amps tones all within a 2-space rack mountable chassis.”​

We’ve got models of the Strato and Brown channels in our Fractal Audio devices. The Brown channel has the most gain. The controls are simple. On the original amp Stratos and Brown share Treble, Middle and Bass controls and have their own gain controls.

The real Fish is a pre-amp only. Fractal Audio added a power amp model. Cliff:

“I used the power amp models from the XTC."​

Besides the amps, the Bogner cabinets are famous too. From the small 1x12 Cube to the large 4x12 Uberkab. So the Bogner stock cabs are a logical choice.

More IRs of Bogner cabs are available in Cab Pack 9 and Cab Pack 14 (which includes Cab Pack 5). OwnHammer also has a large collection of Bogner IR libraries.​

I was a Bogner guy. I owned various Bogner Ecstasy models. It was my mainstay amplifier before I got the Axe-Fx Ultra. I never played a real Fish. The Fish certainly is a different type of amp / model for that matter. Not as thick as the trademark Bogner tones, less depth, slightly “papery”.

A selection of YouTube videos:

Last edited:
What modification of values do you need to do in the box to get the Country & Shark channels?

I'm digging this "fish" amp - only because of this thread I went to it and its'a great blend of grit plus harmonics and cool dynamics - haven't found the "papery" element yet, but perhaps I need to A/B.

Matches great with Lenny Kravitz (I realize it's stupid -simple guitar ;)); was using the JTM45 which is just killer these days - nearly a go to (over the Carol Ann which has been favorite for a while).

So many good-damned amps in this box ... I need to stop typing and get back playin' ...

Cab Pack 9 link is defunct, Cab Pack 14 does not have Bogner cabinets in it.

Here's a new, pretty cool demo video

Judging by the video content, there is a good channel that the guy in the video has a user account here :)

Love this but could we get the shark channell? Or is there a way to change the parameters to get the shark channel?

Back
Top Bottom