Fractal Audio AMP models: Angle Severe (Engl Savage 120)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
* EDIT: Up-to-date information is available in Yek's Guide to the Fractal Audio Amplifier Models *
Savage.png

Angle Severe: based on Engl Savage 120

The Powerball was the first model of an Engl amp in the Axe-Fx. People kept begging for a model of the Savage and it was introduced in firmware 14.

Famous Engl players include Steve Morse, Thin Lizzy and Ritchie Blackmore. More Engl players.

The Engl Savage is a 120 watts hard rock and metal monster with four channels: Main 1 Clean/Crunch and Main 2 Crunch 2/Lead. It runs on two 6550 power tubes, rates 120 watts (80 watts continuously) and has loads of preamp gain. Engl’s later Ritchie Blackmore signature amp is based on the Savage. Made in Germany.

Fractal Audio has modeled Main Channel 2 of the original amp in its “Rough” mode. As described in Engl’s manual: “emphasis on high and low ends. Use Bass sparingly."

The “Angel Savage 1” model was created with Channel 2's Contour switch turned off. This boosts the lower midrange around 500 Hz for a warm tone.

The “Angel Savage 2” model was created with Channel 2's Contour switch turned on. This boosts from 1200 Hz and cuts the lower midrange for more transparency.

It’s a high-gain amp with a Master Volume. This means that the amp’s distortion is created in particular by the preamp tubes, not the power amp. The Master Volume, which works in the power amp section, is very important to the tone and feel. You have to decide for yourself what setting in the model works for you best. The default setting is a good point to start of course.

The applicable controls on the original amp’s channel are: Gain, Lead, Master, Bass, Middle, Treble, Contour, Rough/Smooth, Depth Boost (6dB at 80Hz) and Presence.

Cliff’s comment about Presence:

“From noon and up it's a presence boost, from noon down it's a presence cut."​

In this thread series this is the first amp model (other than the jumpered Plexis) which features TWO gain controls: Gain and Lead (model: Input Drive and Overdrive). On all amps like this, including those by Dumble, Fryette, Carol-Ann and Mesa, the first control sets the “sensitivity” and the second one sets the amount of distortion. Cliff:

“Input Drive increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise. As the gain increases the tone is shifted from a treble and upper mid emphasis, which produces an up front sparkling tone, to a lower mid and bass emphasis, which produces a thick meaty tone.

Overdrive increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise but with no alteration of the tonal balance.

Different combinations of Input Drive and Overdrive settings will have a dramatic effect on the response of the amplifier and the personality of your instrument. It is easy to get familiar with the action of these controls and you’ll be amazed with your ability to make any guitar sound mellow, fat, soulful or aggressive.”​

I don’t know if this is pure imagination, but models with Input Drive ánd Overdrive controls always feel “elastic” and spongy, a real joy to play.

Engl uses Celestion V30 and V60 speakers. You’ll find many V30s among the stock cabs.

Cab #047 is an IR of an Engl 4x12 PRO cabinet with V30s, created by Red Wirez. Note: the Red Wirez IRs in the Axe-Fx II and AX8 have been captured using an neutral microphone, so you may want to add a mic model in the Cab block.

Cab Pack 19 by ML Sound contains a full library of that were captured of an Engl 4x12 Pro Straight Cabinet with Chinese Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.​

A selection of YouTube videos:

Here’s a clip demonstrating the Angel Severe model, created by ClipMaster @Guitarjon:

Last edited:
Very nice article! I just want to add that IMO the Engl flagship model is the Engl Special Edition (Engl SE).

It's a bit confusing since there are/were some amps with similar names:
E610 Savage
E660 Savage Special Edition (discont.)
E670 Special Edition

Reactions: yek
I have a factory ENGL Pro 4x12 came with G12M speakers. The newer cabs with V30's sound better IMO.

Last edited:
Great amp!! I have one question regarding the name:
Can an angel be severe? an angle neither by the way...but the correct name is Angle...right?

Yek my friend, keep your whip close!!:p

Last edited:
I didn't know the gain coloured the tone so much, maybe that's where I'm going wrong with it. Thanks yek

Good job @yek once again!

A big part of the ENGL sound is IMO the metal grill on the cabinets sort of like the Krank sound is very specific for the same reason. The combination of the front loaded V30 speakers and the metal grill give the cabinet a very unique sound. It's one of the most aggressive sounding cabinets I've shot so far and if you saw Periphery live in late 2015 you heard all three guitarists using the "based on ENGL" IR's from Cab Pack 19: http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Cab_Pack_19_ML_Bulb_Angle_Citrus_p/fas-801-0019.htm The exact IR is the first IR in Misha's mixes folder. :)

Damn you Yek ! I was supposed to be working on material for my upcoming gig. Mellow Jazz - Misty, Autumn Leaves...
Now I'm doing Death Metal Riffage with the Angle Severe 2 ! great write up as usual and the Model nails the tones from the demo's,
awesome.

Good job @yek once again!

A big part of the ENGL sound is IMO the metal grill on the cabinets sort of like the Krank sound is very specific for the same reason. The combination of the front loaded V30 speakers and the metal grill give the cabinet a very unique sound. It's one of the most aggressive sounding cabinets I've shot so far and if you saw Periphery live in late 2015 you heard all three guitarists using the "based on ENGL" IR's from Cab Pack 19: http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Cab_Pack_19_ML_Bulb_Angle_Citrus_p/fas-801-0019.htm The exact IR is the first IR in Misha's mixes folder. :)

Good call. I totally forgot there is a Cab Pack that contains IRs of an Engl cabinet. I've added it to the OP.

Last edited:
The Angel Severe, based on the Engl Savage, is another modern high-gain monster model, after the previously discussed EVH 5150-III.

The information in this post is derived mostly from this wiki page. If the information is not correct, just reply and I'll use it to update the wiki, so it works both ways.

Click to see all published editions so far.

Savage.png

Angel Severe: based on Engl Savage 120

The Powerball was the first model of an Engl amp in the Axe-Fx. People kept begging for a model of the Savage and it was introduced in firmware 14.

Famous Engl players include Steve Morse, Thin Lizzy and Ritchie Blackmore. More Engl players…

The Engl Savage is a 120 watts hard rock and metal monster with four channels: Main 1 Clean/Crunch and Main 2 Crunch 2/Lead. It runs on two 6550 power tubes, rates 120 watts (80 watts continuously) and has loads of preamp gain. Engl’s later Ritchie Blackmore signature amp is based on the Savage.

Fractal Audio has modeled Main Channel 2 of the original amp in its “Rough” mode. As described in Engl’s manual: “emphasis on high and low ends. Use Bass sparingly."

The “Angel Savage 1” model was created with Channel 2's Contour switch turned off. This boosts the lower midrange around 500 Hz for a warm tone.

The “Angel Savage 2” model was created with Channel 2's Contour switch turned on. This boosts from 1200 Hz and cuts the lower midrange for more transparency.

It’s a high-gain amp with a Master Volume. This means that the amp’s distortion is created in particular by the preamp tubes, not the power amp. The Master Volume, which works in the power amp section, is very important to the tone and feel. You have to decide for yourself what setting in the model works for you best. The default setting is a good point to start of course.

The applicable controls on the original amp’s channel are: Gain, Lead, Master, Bass, Middle, Treble, Contour, Rough/Smooth, Depth Boost (6dB at 80Hz) and Presence.

Cliff’s comment about Presence:

“From noon and up it's a presence boost, from noon down it's a presence cut."​

In this thread series this is the first amp model (other than the jumpered Plexis) which features TWO gain controls: Gain and Lead (model: Input Drive and Overdrive). On all amps like this, including those by Dumble, Fryette, Carol-Ann and Mesa, the first control sets the “sensitivity” and the second one sets the amount of distortion. Cliff:

“Input Drive increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise. As the gain increases the tone is shifted from a treble and upper mid emphasis, which produces an up front sparkling tone, to a lower mid and bass emphasis, which produces a thick meaty tone.
Overdrive increases the gain amount as you rotate the knob clockwise but with no alteration of the tonal balance.
Different combinations of Input Drive and Overdrive settings will have a dramatic effect on the response of the amplifier and the personality of your instrument. It is easy to get familiar with the action of these controls and you’ll be amazed with your ability to make any guitar sound mellow, fat, soulful or aggressive.”​

I don’t know if this is pure imagination, but models with Input Drive ánd Overdrive controls always feel “elastic” and spongy, a real joy to play.

Engl uses Celestion V30 and V60 speakers. You’ll find many V30s among the stock cabs.

Cab #047 is an IR of an Engl 4x12 PRO cabinet with V30s, created by Red Wirez. Note: the Red Wirez IRs in the Axe-Fx II and AX8 have been captured using an neutral microphone, so you may want to add a mic model in the Cab block.

Cab Pack 19 by ML Sound contains a full library of that were captured of an Engl 4x12 Pro Straight Cabinet with Chinese Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.​

A selection of YouTube videos:

Here’s a clip demonstrating the Angel Severe model, created by ClipMaster @Guitarjon:

My all time favorite amp in the Axe. Thanks Yek!

For me its the best metal amp in the box. Thanks Yek!

"Different combinations of Input Drive and Overdrive settings will have a dramatic effect on the response of the amplifier and the personality of your instrument. It is easy to get familiar with the action of these controls and you’ll be amazed with your ability to make any guitar sound mellow, fat, soulful or aggressive.”

Really liking what those controls do. Have just updated my patch.

Last edited:
I owned one in the 90's. I bought mine new. It was the same model like on the picture above. Mine had 2 KT88 power tubes in it, not 6550. Hmm.

The Savage was one of the first high-gain amps that I owned. I lucked out because I bought it in 2007, brand spankin' new, for $1,799. When I sold it a year later, the economy crapped itself and US currency plummeted, so the cost of this German import when through the roof. I think I sold it, used, for like $2200.

Anyway, it's one of the most monstrous high-gain amps available. I haven't quite gotten the same results out of the Axe model, but on the real thing, there was this bite in the midrange and a sort of percussive "thwack" to the high-end when you attacked the strings that was just awesome. It cut through the mix of a band way better than any other high-gainers that I've used since.

Diggin the hell out of it! I prefer number two, I think it sits better :sweatsmile: and really shines for technical riffing á la Schuldiner, and still the high-end is pleasing enough to allow lead playing. Either with or without a Tubescreamer boosting the front, it is killer.
Ripping mostly with my metal guitar (Ltd deluxe with D-activator bridge only, EVH dtuna and tuned to D/drop C. Defined, chunky and with enough top to cut like a buzz saw without piercing your ears in the process. Thanks Yek for shining some light!

Back
Top Bottom