Fractal Audio AMP models: 6G4 Super ('60 Fender brownface Super, 6G4)

Just want to add to the chorus--these are fantastic write-ups Yek, the likes of which I'm sure many of us have wished existed for a long time. I particularly like the tonal comparisons between various models, i.e.," x is like y only with more clean headroom", etc...Similarly the pointers to what sort of style a particular amp has leant itself to in the past are also much appreciated.

You've done an absolute ton of useful work on this forum, and this just takes it to another level--thanks so much!

@yek this is the definitive guide of online fender info: http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

One thing I've figured out with the fender models recently is to put a compressor after reverb. This simulates the internal reverb circuit coming before the power amp.

Amp -> Reverb (-> Trem) -> Cab -> Comp

A lot of the reverb models sound good like this but the Ambience model has been the one I'm using the most. I don't crank it like a built in spring but the comp pushes the verb forward and gives a cool vibe.

Each
@yek this is the definitive guide of online fender info: http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/

One thing I've figured out with the fender models recently is to put a compressor after reverb. This simulates the internal reverb circuit coming before the power amp.

Amp -> Reverb (-> Trem) -> Cab -> Comp

A lot of the reverb models sound good like this but the Ambience model has been the one I'm using the most. I don't crank it like a built in spring but the comp pushes the verb forward and gives a cool vibe.

Yes, I came across that site. It's like Ampwares but more complete. It's mostly technical info though.

The brownface was my favorite amp when I got the AXEFX II w/ Q1. At Q1.06, it fell off the list in favor of others for a bit, but as of Q2.01b it's back. I use this a lot for Dire Straits. Super dynamic when loud. Works well with tapped PRS 58/07 PUps on a P24A.

Love these write ups. Thanks Yek!

My new go-to clean (AX8)! Love this model. I thought I was in clean amp heaven with the Twin model, but damn, this model is a desert island clean for me. It responds really well to the FAS and Zen drives for tasty lead tones.

jon

Does anyone know what specific speakers are in this amp?

Love this cab with the high powered tweed twin!

Thanks!

From the OP...

"The amp originally came with two Jensen 10” speakers (P10R, P10Q, Oxford 10K5). The modeled amp has two 12” speakers, captured in stock cab #22: 2x12 Brown Super M160.

If you prefer 10” speakers, try stock cab #089: 2x10 Super Tweed Mix"

Reactions: yek
Curious what recommendations others have, but I think this amp does the whole Neil Young "amp about to blow" thing better than any other amp I've tried in the box, at least if you're not messing with anything other than the default amp controls.

Curious what recommendations others have, but I think this amp does the whole Neil Young "amp about to blow" thing better than any other amp I've tried in the box, at least if you're not messing with anything other than the default amp controls.
I agree - but man you gotta check out the incredible RUST preset by @iaresee ... it scratches that itch and more...
https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9237 ("old" I know but still rocks on fm 21) Uses the Deluxe Tweed though

Back
Top Bottom