Fractal API Available for AX8 Development?

Marcel

Inspired
Is there a Fractal API available for developers who want to create there own effects/extensions? I understand this is a closed platform but there are a lot of musicians who moonlight as software developers who would love to get under the hood of this amazing hardware.

Is there a Fractal API available for developers who want to create there own effects/extensions? I understand this is a closed platform but there are a lot of musicians who moonlight as software developers who would love to get under the hood of this amazing hardware.

Mmm let's not make Fractal Ecosystem into an App like place as Apple.

I wasn't trying to promote anything like the Apple App system. I happen to be an programmer that has created many cool guitar effects. I would love to harness the Fractal hardware for my personal use in creating new effects.

I wasn't trying to promote anything like the Apple App system. I happen to be an programmer that has created many cool guitar effects. I would love to harness the Fractal hardware for my personal use in creating new effects.

People have requested that from time to time since back in 2008... I don't see it happening :)

It would just be a world of pain as it would then require support and the like which would consume resources on Fractals part.

I simply cannot see it being feasible.

It's fine for platforms like Android and iOS to have API kits as the Google and Apple derive income from their respective App Stores, so they can fund the resources to support API kits and third-party development.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect it to be supported but I would love the opportunity to leverage this amazing hardware. I'm new to these forums but is there an "official" moderator that could answer questions like this? :)

I wouldn't expect it to be supported but I would love the opportunity to leverage this amazing hardware.

It has to be supported though.

The very fact that the FW would have to be re-written to allow third party add ons, the fact that API kits would have to developed and maintained etc etc will all require back-end support.

You could start by making presents for the FX blocks, we all need them desperately. There is so much potential in the FX already, but they are not being showcased to their full potential enough.

It would be pretty tight if it somehow didn't get out of hand...

Like if Joe and Cliff made a developer kit that got very limited access to the aX8, or maybe even no access, just a virtual environment you could tinker in. Then you'd have to send that back to Cliff who could check it and then approve it for distro on the forum or something... and they'd all have to be free... or maybe even you'd have to pay a little to submit it to FAS, to make it worth their time.
That is my vision.

It has to be supported though.

The very fact that the FW would have to be re-written to allow third party add ons, the fact that API kits would have to developed and maintained etc etc will all require back-end support.

I don't necessarily agree with that... Why would Fractal customization have to be different than any other development efforts in the modern age? As long as I'm not sharing my work it should be up to me what I want to do with it. Also, you're making an assumption that the API has to be re-written for 3rd parties. I'm sure they already have a private API.

All I'm asking for is the ability got me to leverage an API (or preferably a SDK) so that I could personally develop on the platform without any desire to distribute my work.

It would be pretty tight if it somehow didn't get out of hand...

Like if Joe and Cliff made a developer kit that got very limited access to the aX8, or maybe even no access, just a virtual environment you could tinker in. Then you'd have to send that back to Cliff who could check it and then approve it for distro on the forum or something... and they'd all have to be free... or maybe even you'd have to pay a little to submit it to FAS, to make it worth their time.
That is my vision.

All you need is a Fractal standard for I/O regarding their platform. No customizations are obviously supported by Fractal but it would open up a whole new world on plugins. I'm fairly certain the smart cats at Fractal already have a plan for this. They are years ahead of Line 6 (crap) and they know what the future holds....

I'm fairly certain the smart cats at Fractal already have a plan for this. They are years ahead of Line 6 (crap) and they know what the future holds....

Somehow I don't think this is the future.....

Then you'd have to send that back to Cliff who could check it and then approve it for distro on the forum or something...

Do you really want Cliff and the team to be bogged down testing and reviewing half-baked attempts at coding effects, or focused on developing new products and improving the algorithms that make FAS gear light years ahead?

I wouldn't expect it to be supported but I would love the opportunity to leverage this amazing hardware. I'm new to these forums but is there an "official" moderator that could answer questions like this? :)

No one on this forum can answer that question. Only one person can. I happen to agree with dbun on all counts.

Somehow I don't think this is the future.....

Do you really want Cliff and the team to be bogged down testing and reviewing half-baked attempts at coding effects, or focused on developing new products and improving the algorithms that make FAS gear light years ahead?

No, I mean, this whole topic is fantasy.
But even if it wasn't, I have a feeling they can afford to hire another guy by now.

For the record, I don't see this happening... buuuuuuttt, having the ability to have dynamically loadable 3rd-party blocks would be awesome. The API would just expose the callbacks and your code would receive the audio and spit it out the other side. The block could literally be anything.

It would be great, if we could just have a VST block. VST is standard in the music industry by now, and it would be great, if people could develop FX that would already work on the platform. I would start by loading my Waves 1176 compressor onto the unit. Many of todays VSTs are probably too CPU heavy to handle, but still it would open up a load of variety.

I don't see any reason why, it wouldn't be possible to create a VST wrapper block.

.. and it would have to be some sort of sandbox / VM in order to protect the rest of the system from bugs, memory leaks, wild stores, ...

Back
Top Bottom