Fractal 4cm Club

Thanks, @WelshLukather . I’ll have to try this out next time I can borrow a friends FM3. So you’re still using the Runt’s gain channel too, right? How much gain do you have on that channel?
As above - Gain Channel is on 10 with the boost engaged too - a fairly gainy 80's rock type tone (my user name might give away some of the inspiration!!)

So, what you are running? (if you have to borrow an FM3?)

As above - Gain Channel is on 10 with the boost engaged too - a fairly gainy 80's rock type tone (my user name might give away some of the inspiration!!)

So, what you are running? (if you have to borrow an FM3?)
I have an Axe III, and the Runt 50 with a full pedalboard. I borrowed a friend’s FM3 to see how 4CM would work to simplify and go without a big pedalboard, but had the noise issues. I tested my Axe III last night in 4CM and it worked pretty well, much better than the FM3. So based on that, I’m looking forward to the FM9, as Cliff more or less said the same technology for the Axe III in 4CM (which was derived from the FX3) is in the FM9. So hopefully the FM9 works as well in 4CM as the Axe III does.

I'm still running the FM3 in 4CM with my Friedman Runt 50 and its really great - I'm actually using the Out2 4CM method which

a) gives me Unity to the FX loop amongst other things

b) free's up Out 1 XLR's for FOH purposes - this means FOH gets a nice, same every gig consistent signal which is independent of what the Masters on the amp itself are set - essentially a set and forget type thing (apart from possibly knocking the Out1 knob!!)

I am also running a PowerAmp Off Amp block as a sort of pseudo 3rd channel on the clean channel (using BE V1 Fat) to give me a lower gain version of my real Gain channel - you can't actually tell the difference between the 2 which is very cool indeed.

Totally hiss/hum free with no signal degradation, also running a Nux Midi Switcher (poor man's RJM!!) to change channels on the amp per scene.

My Kitchen Sink Preset has Vol, Wah, Phaser, Flanger, Drive, Amp Block, Pitch, Plex D, Delay, Filter, Cab Block - Can't really see me needing anything else, at this point the FM9 or AXIII would be overkill as a 4CM solution.
I’m confused….if your not using the XLR out 1, then what is going to the fx return of your amp? How are you sending the time based effects to your amp? Are the time based effects all going into the front end (preamp section)?

I’m confused….if your not using the XLR out 1, then what is going to the fx return of your amp? How are you sending the time based effects to your amp? Are the time based effects all going into the front end (preamp section)?
FX return of my amp is being served by Out 2 - essentially there is an unofficial way of using Out 2 instead of Out 1 for 4CM (which then frees up Out1 for you to use it in any other way) - I suppose I was already doing this on the AX8 before the FM3 so was already aware of the capability to do it. - you use OUT2 in Stereo and pan row 1 hard left and then use IN 2 as left only as your "after" preamp run which are panned right into OUT2 - OK, you lose some of the stereo bits but you would anyway with an amp FX loop!! Out 1 for is then running a pair of cab/IR in Stereo to FOH.

IMO, it actually works better than OUT1 method as you are able to keep things Unity for amp FX loops which again is key to keeping hiss and noise levels at a minimum.

I got the inspiration for it from here - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/solved-fm3-output.161944/page-2#post-1939929

4 Cable Method without using Output 1:

Out 2L to front of amp
Amp fx loop send to In 2L
Out 2R to amp fx loop return

You'll probably want to set Out 2 level knob to 100% as it affects both pre & post output levels.

Input 2 mode = Left only
Output 2 Mode = stereo

5xcsYlG.png

Last edited:
I have an Axe III, and the Runt 50 with a full pedalboard. I borrowed a friend’s FM3 to see how 4CM would work to simplify and go without a big pedalboard, but had the noise issues. I tested my Axe III last night in 4CM and it worked pretty well, much better than the FM3. So based on that, I’m looking forward to the FM9, as Cliff more or less said the same technology for the Axe III in 4CM (which was derived from the FX3) is in the FM9. So hopefully the FM9 works as well in 4CM as the Axe III does.
Shouldn't be a difference in that 4CM capability between the 3 units I would have thought - perhaps I'm wrong but its just routing and correct config- right?

Shouldn't be a difference in that 4CM capability between the 3 units I would have thought - perhaps I'm wrong but its just routing and correct config- right?
I’m not a electronics engineer, but I would imagine it has a lot to do (if not completely to do) with the A/D D/A converts in those inputs and outputs. I’d imagine there’s only so much you can do in the small of a footprint, and at that price point.

I could however, be wrong

Hi Folks...for those using the 4CM method...is it possible to switch the stereo effects loop into dual mono...say that I would like to use the FM3 for pre and post effects but also want to include an external drive in the chain....is that possible with the FM3? Many thanks in advance...

For those of you running 4CM, are you still able to utilize the FX LOOP and block on the FM3? I have a Greer Lightspeed overdrive that I'm having a hard time giving up and would like to incorporate it into my FM3+FC6 rig, but am not sure if there's enough routing options to add it in after going with the 4CM. (I will also consult the manual, but this seemed like a good place to post this)

For those of you running 4CM, are you still able to utilize the FX LOOP and block on the FM3? I have a Greer Lightspeed overdrive that I'm having a hard time giving up and would like to incorporate it into my FM3+FC6 rig, but am not sure if there's enough routing options to add it in after going with the 4CM. (I will also consult the manual, but this seemed like a good place to post this)
I don't think so..I have been looking into this...I'm not sure if the FC6 has n effects loop as I don't use one. An alternative that I'm considering is getting a Radial EFX unit...it has two effects loops on board but yes it would be an additional pedal I suppose...

I don't think so..I have been looking into this...I'm not sure if the FC6 has n effects loop as I don't use one. An alternative that I'm considering is getting a Radial EFX unit...it has two effects loops on board but yes it would be an additional pedal I suppose...
What a bummer. I guess I'll just try to recreate the Greer Lightspeed with a Drive block somehow.

you don't need an extra dedicated fx loop, just patch it in the input line.
just put it in-between the out to your amp input from the Fm3.

Guitar ---> FM3 In1 ---> out2 ---> Greer LS ---> amplifier input

or if you want to process the Greer signal go into it from your guitar before the FM3, this will also allow you to use it modeling amps.

Guitar ---> Greer LS ---> FM3 In1 ---> out2 ---> amplifier input

or if you want to process the Greer signal go into it from your guitar before the FM3, this will also allow you to use it modeling amps.

I wanted to put the Lightspeed in the FX loop to toggle a FX Loop block in and out per scene. This would be helpful when channel switching my amp via MIDI--I'd be able to change from channel 2/scene 2 with no effects to channel 1/scene 1 with the Lightspeed on.

Yes this would work but would it be possible to turn on and off the effect?

I wanted to put the Lightspeed in the FX loop to toggle a FX Loop block in and out per scene. This would be helpful when channel switching my amp via MIDI--I'd be able to change from channel 2/scene 2 with no effects to channel 1/scene 1 with the Lightspeed on.
Oh I see, (I should have read the previous few posts lol...) in that case you might have success splitting In/Out 2 with panning, using Left for the 4CM and Right for your loop. Will probably require some "thoughtful" creating using Rows, Mixer Block and Scene Controllers if you want to use it with scenes I think. But should be doable.

OP here.

I ended up going back to real pedals and sold the FM3.

However, I've since been wondering about going back to the FM3 or maybe even trying the FM9. I do like that the 9 is better setup for 4CM and lessens noise, etc, but it's still a bit big, size-wise, for my use, as cool as it is. (Plus I didn't get on the waitlist until Aug 28 in the evening and it's probably going to be a while... lol.)

Just wondering what others' thoughts are on the 3 vs 9 regarding noise issues.

When I first owned the FM3 and started this thread, I was only playing a home, due to lockdown, but now I'm back to rehearsing at loud volumes with my band (no gigs, yet). I did have a small amount of hum at home with the FM3, but nothing that was too bad (and I actually didn't even try the Humbuster cable I bought).

Any thoughts on the 3 vs 9 and 4cm?

Thanks!

I also went back to Tube Amp ( Marshall 2555X Silver Jubilee - Suhr Reactive Load - FM3 Pre FX / Cab Sim / Post FX ) setup and tried the 4cm with all the right hum buster cables and FM3 settings.....sounded GOOD ;)
Some Hum and noise was still there on the Overdrive channel but I accepted that....

Then last week I decided to going Guitar straight into AMP and use the FM3 for only Cab Sim and Post FX........

I was sold !!!

NO HUM NO NOISE AND EVEN BETTER DRY GUITAR SOUND :)

Will buy in the future probably 1-2 drive / fuzz pedals and maybe a Wah but for now I will just work with the sound of the Marshall and use my Volume knob for Gain variations.

I might do some testing in the future to have a separate Cab Sim load and try to have the FM3 post FX in a Parallel loop switcher or some kind of small device.....

So I think somehow that the analog / digital conversion is something what I am not happy with.....BUT still better than many other gear I have used in the past !!!

Hi. Mesa mark 3, furman ac210, fm3 in one 7u rack. 4cm with 0,5m cables. Midi switcher for channel switching. Only Hotone control and expression pedal infront. No hiss no hum. 👍 Only one bad thing is take a look on tuner 🤪

Has anyone tried to use tube amp with the FM3 cabs? signal like Guitar > Mesa JP2C > Fractal XLOAD > Fractal FM3 for the cab sims and as interface for recording? Recently sold my Fm3 but I think I'll be going back.

Has anyone tried to use tube amp with the FM3 cabs? signal like Guitar > Mesa JP2C > Fractal XLOAD > Fractal FM3 for the cab sims and as interface for recording? Recently sold my Fm3 but I think I'll be going back.
Yes I have tried that and also Guitar - FM3 - Marshall Amp - FM3 cab + post FX - interface…..FM3 as interface works just fine through USB…. I myself am using a RME Fireface 800….. easier routing possibilities for in the studio as the FM3 I am using often live too and don’t want to mess with all the cables and stuff ….

The second option had too much noise / humm and tone suck for MY taste So went back to the first option !! Sounds great to me…. Check this video of mine…. Tons of sounds :

Last edited:
For anyone interested or looking in the future, I had some crazy noise issues with the Axe Fx 3 in 4CM with a new Bogner 20th Anniversary Ectacy. As suggested in an earlier post, I connected an XLR to TRS to my effects return and it solved the noise in the effects loop, where a humbuster cable would not. Cables to the front end were causing noise as well but solved that with a homemade humbuster cable.

The Axe Fx 3 ran this way does alter the overall tone and feel slightly but nothing I won’t be able to live with.

Pic of the new amp for kicks!

Attachments

• C4F2913D-88FD-47EB-8E97-A6CC782F8215.jpeg
    C4F2913D-88FD-47EB-8E97-A6CC782F8215.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom