Fractal 4cm Club

I know this is an FM3 question, but I am currently using my AXE3 4CM with a Synergy Syn-2. I am amazed by how good this sounds. No need for humbuster cables here either. I may try to set it up with the FM3 at some point, but not sure if I want to deal with a bunch of long cables.

I'd like to try this. Do you mind me asking how to do this?

I'd like to try this. Do you mind me asking how to do this?
I am going into the input of the AXE3 then from OUT3 into the instrument in of the SYN2. From the SYN2 I go main outs left and right into IN4 and then back out OUT2 to the PA and OUT1 to an amp and cab. Between the AXE3 input and OUT3 is where I place comp and distortion block. Between IN4 and OUT1/OUT2 is where time based effects go.

Specifically my preamp on this patch. XLR to ts. Signal routing looks good seems like most of the signal loss happen either before or after the pre-amp. I'm using out2 to my preamp home made humbuster then TS from the send back to the FM3

You originally said “gain loss”, but you just said “signal loss.” Are we talking a reduction in volume or a reduction in the amp gain/distortion?

Are you having this issue on all 4CM patches or just this one? If you build a super basic and new patch with just the in 1/2 and out 1/2 blocks does it still happen?

Sorry, Gain loss and loss of compression. It's happening on all 4cm patches. If I build a super basic patch it still happens. it's possible it's also volume drop before preamp.

I do 4CM with a Mark V 90 combo and it sounds great.
Other times I just want to hear the preset louder and I send everything (drive, amp - less the cab - effects) to the amp fx return to use only the Power Amp and Cab part of the combo (not the preamp).
How do you set your amp in this later configuration, as FRFR or stack? Do you hear any difference?

Sorry, Gain loss and loss of compression. It's happening on all 4cm patches. If I build a super basic patch it still happens. it's possible it's also volume drop before preamp.
Check the gate on the in/out blocks. I set mine up in 1.05, but had to disable them iirc.

I just use the gate on the return to amp's loop.

OP here. Still loving the FM3 in 4cm.

I've now taken my real drive pedals off my board and am trying out using just the Fractal drives. Thanks to help in another thread, I've gotten very close to replicating my Keeley Fuzz Head, which has been a tricky one to nail, using the Face Fuzz. Also have gotten really close to my MXR CBMOD using the SD1 model. We'll see how it goes! (Haven't sold the pedals, haha.)

Also, the other day I tried plugging into my Electra Dyne just using my pedals in front, old school, and noticed that it had actually sounded better with the FM3 in 4cm, even with no effects activated. Must be the buffers, etc (even though I use a Mesa Stowaway at the front of my pedals, Fractal's seems better...).

I compared my Whirlwind Orange Box - which has been my favourite phase for years - to the Fractal's Phase 90 and liked Fractal's better. (This wasn't the case with my HXFX; it's Phase 90 sucked in comparison to the real pedal.) And finally, I replaced my EVH wah with a Dunlop mini-expression and the Color-tone model.

So, I've gone "full Fractal" in terms of my pedalboard. Sounds amazing and is super fun!

I'm enjoying trying to get the most out of the FM3's three switches, too. I have the Mosky Dual Switch, but am leaving it off for now and seeing what I can get out of just the three-switch approach.

Last edited:

If you’re sending output 2 to the front of your amp (typical 4CM method) ensure you’re not cutting levels too much before or in the output 2 block. Make sure the output meter for output 2 is “tickling the red.” If you’re cutting levels too much before going out to the amp, it’ll be like rolling back your guitar volume.

Edit: oh also, you mentioned a home made Humbuster cable. No offense to your soldering skills, but maybe try swapping a regular instrument cable there instead to ensure you’re not having an issue with that cable.

If you’re sending output 2 to the front of your amp (typical 4CM method) ensure you’re not cutting levels too much before or in the output 2 block. Make sure the output meter for output 2 is “tickling the red.” If you’re cutting levels too much before going out to the amp, it’ll be like rolling back your guitar volume.

Edit: oh also, you mentioned a home made Humbuster cable. No offense to your soldering skills, but maybe try swapping a regular instrument cable there instead to ensure you’re not having an issue with that cable.

Looks like it was an Out 2 unity problem with the last Beta, my pre-amp in my head compresses a lot so I didn't notice the volume drop. Will boost with new beta. I appreciate your help a lot.

No offense taken on my soldering skills. :)

Can someone share their patch on Ax Change for 4CM? I want to be able to toggle between the preamps in FM3 and my amps preamp. Also wanting to use effects like wah and drive into the front of my amp, and use effects like delay and verb in the effects loop of my amp.

Can someone share their patch on Ax Change for 4CM? I want to be able to toggle between the preamps in FM3 and my amps preamp. Also wanting to use effects like wah and drive into the front of my amp, and use effects like delay and verb in the effects loop of my amp.
there are a few already there - I learned from 2112 (thanks again!) if you search for 4cm.

I'll cross reference this post with my axechange preset (I used colored cables to make it clear).
The post on axechange has a reference to this post as well.
IMG_20210617_103136681.jpg
IMG_20210617_103154336.jpg
IMG_20210617_103205528.jpg

Last edited:
Did anyone try comparing the III to the FM3 in 4CM? Any issues that it didn't sound as good as the III or the signal wasn't as clean?

I'm thinking about downgrading to the FM3 since I don't use amp models and just want effects and wanted to save the $1000.

I'm still running the FM3 in 4CM with my Friedman Runt 50 and its really great - I'm actually using the Out2 4CM method which

a) gives me Unity to the FX loop amongst other things

b) free's up Out 1 XLR's for FOH purposes - this means FOH gets a nice, same every gig consistent signal which is independent of what the Masters on the amp itself are set - essentially a set and forget type thing (apart from possibly knocking the Out1 knob!!)

I am also running a PowerAmp Off Amp block as a sort of pseudo 3rd channel on the clean channel (using BE V1 Fat) to give me a lower gain version of my real Gain channel - you can't actually tell the difference between the 2 which is very cool indeed.

Totally hiss/hum free with no signal degradation, also running a Nux Midi Switcher (poor man's RJM!!) to change channels on the amp per scene.

My Kitchen Sink Preset has Vol, Wah, Phaser, Flanger, Drive, Amp Block, Pitch, Plex D, Delay, Filter, Cab Block - Can't really see me needing anything else, at this point the FM9 or AXIII would be overkill as a 4CM solution.

@WelshLukather would you mind sharing that preset? I’d love to try it and see if that works any better than the way I had done it.

What settings did you adjust in the I/O for noise compensation?

@WelshLukather would you mind sharing that preset? I’d love to try it and see if that works any better than the way I had done it.

What settings did you adjust in the I/O for noise compensation?
yep, of course.

Input 1 set as follows:

Source - Analog
Input 1 Pad - 18db (this depends on guitar)
Input 2 - Sum L+R
Input 2 Pad - 0dB

Out 2 is set as follows:

Output Type - Unity Gain
Mode - Stereo (this is for the Out 2 L/R Method)
Boost/Pad - 6dB (this is the one that REALLY made a difference with hiss)
Phase - Normal
Copy - None

Amp itself is set:

Clean Vol - to taste
Treble - 5.5
Bass - 3

Gain (Boost Engaged) - 10
Bass - 10
Middle - 5.5
Treble - 3
Master - to taste
Presence - 1

Using plethora of things through it - EBMM Luke, Axis, '87 Les Paul Standard, 2005 R7, PRS CU24, Tom Anderson HSS, Strats etc etc.

See how you get on - this is my main live patch that covers a lot of ground in the stuff we do - I also tend to ride the volume a lot (also watch out for how my EXP pedals are set - it might load up with Wah engaged!!)

Attachments

• DIA2.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 32
Thanks, @WelshLukather . I’ll have to try this out next time I can borrow a friends FM3. So you’re still using the Runt’s gain channel too, right? How much gain do you have on that channel?

Back
Top Bottom