Fractal 4cm Club

TubeStack

Inspired
I have a feeling this might be a small club... :D

Who's using their FM3 primarily for 4cm use with a tube amp?

I'm really enjoying mine with my Mesa Electra Dyne head and 2x12 open-back cab at home (Recto 2x12 for band use). Suhr Micro Midi for switching channels/modes (clean/crunch/lead), works great.

I love that I can easily switch between all three channels using scenes or just a simple switch. Putting a tape delay in the loop sounds huge and the univibe and phase are amazing out in front. Great looper and octave-down bass parts sound awesome.

I use a Keeley Fuzz Head and MXR CBMOD in front of the FM3, after a Mesa Stowaway. Dunlop mini expression, mostly for wah. Clean boost in the amp loop for leads and Graphic EQ boost in front for my Strat. Lots of the Fractal drives are killer too, especially the Zen and Marshall Blues Breaker.

The FM3 is amazing for 4cm and I’m super happy with it for this use. Way better than my HXFX, even though that was designed more specifically for it. I use @Bakerman’s method that doesn’t need an XLR cable, works great and with very low noise, no hum issues either.

Are you using your FM3 for 4cm? If so, with what amp? Are you using other pedals? Which ones?

Last edited:
Occasionally use 4CM with my EVH 50w stealth. Actually 5CM because then I’ll run another cable to the return of my 50w EL34.

No additional pedals. I have an Ebtech Hum Eliminator on hand but don’t seem to need it with this rig. Humbuster cables haven’t been necessary either.

Since it’s possible some folks might wander in to ask questions, and because Leon Todd’s 4CM video has been used as a reference on a number of occasions, I’d like to clarify something.

While Leon used an XLR to TRS cable from output 1 to his amp’s return and that worked for him, some others have not been able to use that cable and Fractal recommends (in bold) that you not use that kind of cable. They say to use an XLR to TS cable.

I am guessing whether an XLR to TRS cable works depends on the amp. Possibly what kind of jack they used for the FX return.

If someone is going to try 4CM they should use the XLR to TS which is more likely to work with no issues.

I know this is an FM3 question, but I am currently using my AXE3 4CM with a Synergy Syn-2. I am amazed by how good this sounds. No need for humbuster cables here either. I may try to set it up with the FM3 at some point, but not sure if I want to deal with a bunch of long cables.

4CM here with Mesa JP2C and Suhr Hedgehog. Both MIDI controlled amps so perfect match. :)

Dude, I dream of one day trying a JP2C! I’m a huge Mesa fan, but have mostly owned their Brit variants (Stiletto, RA100, E Dyne). If I see a local deal on a Mark V, I’ll probably grab it. You never see the JP, though.

Are you using a real cab, or cab sims, etc?

I also want to check out the Suhr line, super sweet amps.

Since it’s possible some folks might wander in to ask questions, and because Leon Todd’s 4CM video has been used as a reference on a number of occasions, I’d like to clarify something.

While Leon used an XLR to TRS cable from output 1 to his amp’s return and that worked for him, some others have not been able to use that cable and Fractal recommends (in bold) that you not use that kind of cable. They say to use an XLR to TS cable.

I am guessing whether an XLR to TRS cable works depends on the amp. Possibly what kind of jack they used for the FX return.

If someone is going to try 4CM they should use the XLR to TS which is more likely to work with no issues.

This is a great point and I noticed that, too. He should really add a correction to the video.

Dude, I dream of one day trying a JP2C! I’m a huge Mesa fan, but have mostly owned their Brit variants (Stiletto, RA100, E Dyne). If I see a local deal on a Mark V, I’ll probably grab it. You never see the JP, though.

Are you using a real cab, or cab sims, etc?

I also want to check out the Suhr line, super sweet amps.
I use real cabs (Suhr 2x12 and Friedman 4x12) and cab sims for home use.

I had a great time last night experimenting with Fractal drives boosting my Electra Dyne’s dirty channels. Having the EQ on hand for the drives is super useful.

Still digging the Zen, Blues Breaker (Blues OD), and also love the FET Boost.

A couple of days ago I have received my FM3 with the intention of incorporating it into my live setup. Currently, I am using a VHT Pittbull Ultra Lead with a pedalboard that mainly revolves around a Source Audio Ventris and Nemesis. The FM3 will probably replace these pedals.

I am still debating whether I am going for 4CM or just plugging the FM3 into the return of the VHT (bypassing the preamp completely).

6505+ Combo here. Probably gonna go back to my FRFR setup though. 4CM is flexible but honestly just too complicated for me after near 30 years of playing

Back
Top Bottom