Software FracPad III - iOS/Android/Mac/Win Editor for the Axe-Fx II/XL/XL+, AX8/FX8, Axe-Fx III and FM3/FM9

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
Al, Forgive the question from a midi moron, but if I connect my iPad to my MBP and that is connected thunderbolt to my Sapphire pro 40, which is connected to my Axe MK2 via midi...will it work, or do I need a dedicated midi interface?

Ive played with the demo version (md-bt01 connection) but I would prefer a hard wired setup for stage, just not sure if I need additional hardware.

Al, Forgive the question from a midi moron, but if I connect my iPad to my MBP and that is connected thunderbolt to my Sapphire pro 40, which is connected to my Axe MK2 via midi...will it work, or do I need a dedicated midi interface?

Ive played with the demo version (md-bt01 connection) but I would prefer a hard wired setup for stage, just not sure if I need additional hardware.
Hi
It would work yes, but on a MBP the fastest connection is using USB to the AxeFx ;)

Hi
It would work yes, but on a MBP the fastest connection is using USB to the AxeFx ;)

Pardon my ignorance but I though the axefx2 couldn't do midi over USB?

If I understand you correctly, I can connect the iPad to the MBP using the lightning to USB cable and then USB from the MBP to the axe and I'm good?

It's late here and this midi s*** has driven me to drink.

Thanks again for the quick response, greatly appreciated.

Look forward to being able to use fracpad.

Pardon my ignorance but I though the axefx2 couldn't do midi over USB?

If I understand you correctly, I can connect the iPad to the MBP using the lightning to USB cable and then USB from the MBP to the axe and I'm good?

It's late here and this midi s*** has driven me to drink.

Thanks again for the quick response, greatly appreciated.

Look forward to being able to use fracpad.
Yes the AxeFx uses midi over usb
But i don't understand why you want to connect iPad to MBP ?

Sorry I should have been clearer.

My band is a trio, and I use the fishman triple play for synths as well as the axe. It sounds amazing and really fills a lot of space for three players. But some songs we do (Floyd for example) require 8 scenes on the axe and two synth changes and the occasional loop, it works and sounds great but it is a lot for me to keep track of. So after reading the bandhelper thread I thought that would be great for providing automation of patch changes etc. I was already on board with idea of using fracpad to free me from the MBP. Then someone in this thread mentioned they were using the md-bt01 through an iconnectivity 4 and I thought that was the answer for all my problems... I would have wireless fracpad as well as wireless control of automation throughout the set... perfect. So then I spent the last week trying to figure out both bandhelper and the iconnectivity interface, both of which are very powerful in what they do, but neither of which are very intuitive to say the least and documentation and tutorials are cryptic as they refer to previous versions etc... Sorry for the long winded version, but I was connecting the iPad to the MBP to facilitate automated patch changes.

At this point, I think I need to consider a simpler but less ideal solution (logic/mainstage for automation) if I can connect the axe USB for patch changes can I still use fracpad with the md-bt01? That would still be a win.

Sorry for the rant and I know most of it doesn't apply to your product (great btw same with fractool) your the first person I could get to respond on any of these subjects in six days of trying. I think fractals level of customer service /support has spoiled me in terms of expectations

Sorry I should have been clearer.

My band is a trio, and I use the fishman triple play for synths as well as the axe. It sounds amazing and really fills a lot of space for three players. But some songs we do (Floyd for example) require 8 scenes on the axe and two synth changes and the occasional loop, it works and sounds great but it is a lot for me to keep track of. So after reading the bandhelper thread I thought that would be great for providing automation of patch changes etc. I was already on board with idea of using fracpad to free me from the MBP. Then someone in this thread mentioned they were using the md-bt01 through an iconnectivity 4 and I thought that was the answer for all my problems... I would have wireless fracpad as well as wireless control of automation throughout the set... perfect. So then I spent the last week trying to figure out both bandhelper and the iconnectivity interface, both of which are very powerful in what they do, but neither of which are very intuitive to say the least and documentation and tutorials are cryptic as they refer to previous versions etc... Sorry for the long winded version, but I was connecting the iPad to the MBP to facilitate automated patch changes.

At this point, I think I need to consider a simpler but less ideal solution (logic/mainstage for automation) if I can connect the axe USB for patch changes can I still use fracpad with the md-bt01? That would still be a win.

Sorry for the rant and I know most of it doesn't apply to your product (great btw same with fractool) your the first person I could get to respond on any of these subjects in six days of trying. I think fractals level of customer service /support has spoiled me in terms of expectations
If you figure out a graceful way to integrate all the gear you mention..please share it on this thread...or start a new thread....I have all
Of them as well, and agree that the help available for the admittedly powerful Iconnectivity gear is more confusing than helpful.....

If you figure out a graceful way to integrate all the gear you mention..please share it on this thread...or start a new thread....I have all
Of them as well, and agree that the help available for the admittedly powerful Iconnectivity gear is more confusing than helpful.....

I certainly will. People who are well versed in MIDI seem reluctant to share the knowledge, on the other hand there are so many different setups and variables in terms of gear etc.. it would be difficult, unlike the axe where we all pretty much have the same thing. The frustrating part is knowing it can be done..but not how. I will figure it out eventually and will make a video in a new thread so as not to detract from Al's great product.

Not sure if the subject of USB cable length w/Fracpad on Android has been covered before but I thought I'd share my experiences. Fracpad works fine on my Android devices using a single ~6 foot/2 meter USB cable but when I tried to use 2 cables of those cables joined by a connection adapter, my Android devices failed to find the Axe/Fx. Since my pedal position always requires more than a 2 meter cable run to the backline, I bought a 5 meter cable with a bus-powered USB repeater circuit. Unfortunately, there's not enough power on the bus for the repeater to work but it will work if powered using a USB Y cable (often included with small USB drive enclosures) and a simple charger. I found I had to apply power at the end nearest the Axe/Fx to get it to work.

Last edited:
Not sure if the subject of USB cable length w/Fracpad on Android has been covered before but I though I'd share my experiences. Fracpad works fine on my Android devices using a single ~6 foot/2 meter USB cable but when I tried to use 2 cables of those cables joined by a connection adapter, my Android devices failed to find the Axe/Fx. Since my pedal position always requires more than a 2 meter cable run to the backline, I bought a 5 meter cable with a bus-powered USB repeater circuit. Unfortunately, there's not enough power on the bus for the repeater to work but it will work if powered using a USB Y cable (often included with small USB drive enclosures) and a simple charger. I found I had to apply power at the end nearest the Axe/Fx to get it to work.

Great info! That probably saved me some time and headache as I to will need more than a single length cable. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Al, each time I try to run FracPad I get a "FracPad quit unexpectedly" error. I tried uninstalling and re-downloaded but get the same thing. Any ideas?

I'm on a Macbook Pro running 10.9.5 and everything else FAS-related runs smoothly, including FracTool. I have both an AxeFX II and an AX8. It appears I can just connect to the Mac via USB? Or do I need another connector?

Thanks for your help!

Hey Al, each time I try to run FracPad I get a "FracPad quit unexpectedly" error. I tried uninstalling and re-downloaded but get the same thing. Any ideas?

I'm on a Macbook Pro running 10.9.5 and everything else FAS-related runs smoothly, including FracTool. I have both an AxeFX II and an AX8. It appears I can just connect to the Mac via USB? Or do I need another connector?

Thanks for your help!
Hi,
I think you need to update your macOS, although I 'm not a mac expert but the requirements are higher i think

Hello AlGrenedine, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the FracPad, however I want to try it on my iPhone 7+ first and if the functionality is not good enough, I would want put it on my iPad 2. Is the iOS device license transferable from one device to the other?

Hello AlGrenedine, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the FracPad, however I want to try it on my iPhone 7+ first and if the functionality is not good enough, I would want put it on my iPad 2. Is the iOS device license transferable from one device to the other?
All App Store purchase can be used on multiple devices.

Ok, I thought so, but wanted to make sure because it's not a cheap app, thanks!

Next question: which Bluetooth midi interface is works best with iOS?

Back
Top Bottom