Software FracPad III - iOS/Android/Mac/Win Editor for the Axe-Fx II/XL/XL+, AX8/FX8, Axe-Fx III and FM3/FM9

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
Fractool is the product that pushed me over the edge to buy a used iPad. I received that and the bluetooth doohickie in the mail today, bought fracpad minutes later, and got it all talking to each other. WooHoo! I have iPad access to deep editing of all the stuff.

Now the questions. I'm ready to receive my beating for not having read through 100% of this stuff, but I figured the first impression feedback would be useful:
1. Is there comprehensive manual/documentation?
2. Is the tool intended for creating patches from scratch, i.e. directly competing against Ax8 but on IOS devices? I couldn't figure out in my first session how to add a block, so could only modify existing presets
3. Any chance of adding a "virtual detent" function to quantize settings values for those of us with OCD that only want to stop the dial on decimal versions of low integer fractions? (preferably where the denominator is a power of 2).

That's as far as I got in my first session :)

My immediate reaction is that I'll still want to rig up some physical knobs to fine tune a few parameters during shows: delay mix (or delay input gain), delay feedback, reverb tail length, etc....

Any chance you can make a display mode with a grid of virtual knobs that we can label, and assign to a block and a specific parameter? That would make it more likely for me to use it for quick adjustments in rehearsal or gigs without making folks stand around waiting for me. Also, when I press the button, it would be nice if it grew to occupy a majority of the screen (just while it is being drag-edited) to enable more precise fine-tuning.

Thanks for a cool tool.

Not currently.

2. Is the tool intended for creating patches from scratch, i.e. directly competing against Ax8 but on IOS devices? I couldn't figure out in my first session how to add a block, so could only modify existing presets
Yes. Tap and hold on an empty grid square, and you'll get to chose which block to put there.

3. Any chance of adding a "virtual detent" function to quantize settings values for those of us with OCD that only want to stop the dial on decimal versions of low integer fractions? (preferably where the denominator is a power of 2).
I'll leave that one for @AlGrenadine to answer, because I'm not the developer. :) But I don't see the value of having detents that force you to choose specific values. The idea behind the gear is that you dial in the parameters for best sound, and let the numbers fall where they may. I mean, aren't you glad that your car's accelerator and brake pedals don't have detents? If they did, you'd never find the sweet spot. ;)

Fractool is the product that pushed me over the edge to buy a used iPad. I received that and the bluetooth doohickie in the mail today, bought fracpad minutes later, and got it all talking to each other. WooHoo! I have iPad access to deep editing of all the stuff.

Now the questions. I'm ready to receive my beating for not having read through 100% of this stuff, but I figured the first impression feedback would be useful:

That's as far as I got in my first session :)

My immediate reaction is that I'll still want to rig up some physical knobs to fine tune a few parameters during shows: delay mix (or delay input gain), delay feedback, reverb tail length, etc....

Any chance you can make a display mode with a grid of virtual knobs that we can label, and assign to a block and a specific parameter? That would make it more likely for me to use it for quick adjustments in rehearsal or gigs without making folks stand around waiting for me. Also, when I press the button, it would be nice if it grew to occupy a majority of the screen (just while it is being drag-edited) to enable more precise fine-tuning.

Thanks for a cool tool.
Hi, thanks for the kind words :)
1 : no But you had a tutorial when you first launched FracPad, you can see it again in the topleft menu. It answers your 2nd question ;)
2 : See the tutorial, but the long press is used for context menu on blocks
3 : Yes a rac12 mode is in the works ;)

Definitely whole numbers. My ear isn't good enough to tell the difference between 3.26 and 3. :p

RR
Are your ears good enough to decide what sound you like best? :)

Just cover your eyes and turn the knob until you like it best. Obsess on the sound. No peeking! When your ears are satisfied, look at the number and see what you chose. Then, if you like, you can set it to the nearest whole number—as long as you're willing to accept a little bit less than perfect. :)

Hi Al,
Worked out why I couldn'the engage and disengage the blocks. I was
Using the app in landscape not portrait on my iPad.
Thanks
Hugh

Having a lot of problems with fracpad. I keep coming back to check for updates to see if stability has improved but it just seems to constantly crash for me. I'm on v1.11 iPad gen1 OS 9.3.5 connected directly via 30pin > USB > AX8. Changing knob size seems to make it quit, not immediately but after a few tries.

Are there any ipad/ios settings that might be affecting it? Also the alternative knob graphics don't work here, just get a black square in place of the knob image file. Works on the desktop version.

Having a lot of problems with fracpad. I keep coming back to check for updates to see if stability has improved but it just seems to constantly crash for me. I'm on v1.11 iPad gen1 OS 9.3.5 connected directly via 30pin > USB > AX8. Changing knob size seems to make it quit, not immediately but after a few tries.

Are there any ipad/ios settings that might be affecting it? Also the alternative knob graphics don't work here, just get a black square in place of the knob image file. Works on the desktop version.
That's because iPad gen1 are very very old and don't have enough memory (512 MB if i remember correctly, and only 220 MB available for the app since the OS takes the rest) , so i'd recommend either use a more recent hardware, either turn knobs and blocks size to their minimum to gain some memory

Thanks for a cool tool.[/QUOTE]

For something simple like a few big knobs, try using a very cool app named "Midi Designer". You can never make something as detailed
as Fracpad but you can quickly make a few knobs and sliders and it should connect to your axe the same as Fracpad.

Thanks Al,
The problem must be with my Ipad (settings). No matter how fast I double tap, if I'm looking at the Landscape view it opens the block edit mode, but works perfectly in portrait mode. Most important thing is I can adjust on the fly now. Once again - I love the Fracpad, love the Performance Mode. Great product, thanks
Hugh

That's because iPad gen1 are very very old and don't have enough memory (512 MB if i remember correctly, and only 220 MB available for the app since the OS takes the rest) , so i'd recommend either use a more recent hardware, either turn knobs and blocks size to their minimum to gain some memory

Thanks for the info Al, reducing the size works. it's a little more fiddly to use but miles better stability, I can live with that.

Good morning. Been keeping my ear to the ground on this ambitious project. If I may ask, how is the latency of Bluetooth specifically vs direct using iOS to AxeFx? I use a similar app for my DAW (Presonus) but it uses wireless router therefore latency is not an issue. Just curious before taking the plunge. Thanks.

Good morning. Been keeping my ear to the ground on this ambitious project. If I may ask, how is the latency of Bluetooth specifically vs direct using iOS to AxeFx? I use a similar app for my DAW (Presonus) but it uses wireless router therefore latency is not an issue. Just curious before taking the plunge. Thanks.
Hi,
With Bluetooth you get the same behavior as with a regular midi interface.
It works very well

Thanks Al. Where do you prefer bug reports sent to? I've found a few on the Win platform and not sure if this thread is the place to elaborate or you'd prefer another location/site.

Back
Top Bottom