Software FracPad III - iOS/Android/Mac/Win Editor for the Axe-Fx II/XL/XL+, AX8/FX8, Axe-Fx III and FM3/FM9

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
Here is an update. I tried another USB cable and it did not seem to make much difference. I have a new camera adapter that should be here tomorrow.. Softer sinner reinstall it sort of worked. The preset picker will not populate the names. If I hit up or down from the editor it seems to go up and down and change the AX8. Tuner issue I had seems to be gone. I also can not change or add effects as it seems that the models are not populating. I am hoping the new adapter fixes everything. If it doesn't I will try a factory reset on the iPad.

Just came across this, could something like this work without an adapter?
LGTablet_zpsugrvcebs.png
The usb-otg adapter simply receives the full size usb and changes its physical size to a mini usb. Any device that has a mini usb is compatible. If your device has a full size midi port (most phones and tablets don't, but mine does) you do not need an adapter.

The usb-otg adapter simply receives the full size usb and changes its physical size to a mini usb.
OTG adapters do more that that. They let both connected devices act as USB hosts. Normally, neither a tablet nor the Fractal device can be hosts. They're both intended to be slaves to another USB device. If you just hook up a straight USB cable without the OTG adapter, it won't work.

@guitarmike , your tablet is OTG-compatible right out of the box. Most aren't.

Didn't mean to cause any confusion or undue angst. But, considering the price, $120 and the fact that this device is OTG compatible, I thought it might be worth mentioning. This software is operating smoothly on my device with a wired connection. Please note that I have not tried any midi - Bluetooth connectivity with this device.

I would always opt to follow the advice of the software creator if possible.

The cables/adapters were not my issue. I did a full factory reset on my ipad and tried again. it actually pulled everything from AX8 and I thought for a few seconds I was good to go. Now it keeps losing communication somehow. it loads everything, starts up, then suddenly says no device found again. Then it loads again a frw seconds later and the cycle continues. The cables all work fine for other things (like with my laptop). i tried multiple cables. The only thing i can think of is that I have a flaky usb input on my ipad, but my recording software worked fine (not loaded currently after reset). Note to self, always test the demo before buying. LOL. I will try again after the next ios update. I was just looking to run the AX8 with a tablet on a stand for live tweaks since i had the ipad.

If it says no device found then yes it's a problem with either lightning port / camera adapter / usb cable / AX8 usb port...

So I've ditched the Android option simply because it's not practical for me. Clipped to my mic stand, I've got my iPhone and my iPad. Having a 3rd device would not make any sense to me.
I have an iPad 2 with an iRig 1.

This part I don't understand:
"Use a general purpose USB-MIDI interface like Roland's UM-One in conjunction with the "USB camera adapter" for Apple devices".

Using an iRig 1 and a camera kit, I don't see how to get a USB connection coming out of my iPad.
The iRig goes from mini jacks to midi connections - the camera adapter has a USB out but I don't see how to use the two together.
This leads me to assume that I'm out of luck with this old technology.

Using an iRig 1 and a camera kit, I don't see how to get a USB connection coming out of my iPad.
The iRig goes from mini jacks to midi connections - the camera adapter has a USB out but I don't see how to use the two together.

There is a 30 pin adapter for lightning

So I've ditched the Android option simply because it's not practical for me. Clipped to my mic stand, I've got my iPhone and my iPad. Having a 3rd device would not make any sense to me.
I have an iPad 2 with an iRig 1.

This part I don't understand:
"Use a general purpose USB-MIDI interface like Roland's UM-One in conjunction with the "USB camera adapter" for Apple devices".

Yes, use iRig2 or a standard USB midi adapter with an Apple camera adapter (that is an lightning to USB or 30 pin to USB adapter in the words of Apple that allow them to sell if for $30)

Yes, use iRig2 or a standard USB midi adapter with an Apple camera adapter (that is an lightning to USB or 30 pin to USB adapter in the words of Apple that allow them to sell if for $30)
Trying to keep costs down.
As I said, I'm on an iPad 2. Can you confirm that as what I described above will not work?
Want to know if I can get away without spending additional funds.

Trying to keep costs down.
As I said, I'm on an iPad 2. Can you confirm that as what I described above will not work?
Want to know if I can get away without spending additional funds.
Can't confirm anything i'm not an Apple expert... Can you resume clearly (you above statement isn't) your desired setup and hardware use ?

Can't confirm anything i'm not an Apple expert... Can you resume clearly (you above statement isn't) your desired setup and hardware use ?
Sure:
Where do the midi connections come in if we're using USB as the connection?

Connex_zps4t26x8z1.png

Ok that's because you use 30 pin connector, not lightning like on recent apple hardware....
The iRig1 has not been tested with FracPad so i can't say if it works or not... iRig2 works and a regular USB to midi like the Roland one works too when used with a lightning to USB adapter.
That's all i can say. Using old hardware can only create problems...

Last edited:
Ok that's because you use 30 pin connector, not lightning like on recent apple hardware....
The iRig1 has not been tested with FracPad so i can't say if it works or not... iRig2 works and a regular USB to midi like the Roland one works too when used with a lightning to USB adapter.
That's all i can say. Using old hardware can only create problems...
Thx. That's what I thought.
Appreciate your prompt responses.

I got a US appstore account, but when I click on your link in the video for the Yamaha UD/MD Utility, the us App Store says" Item Not Available" I have also tried search in the US App Store for Yamaha, and find many Yama apps but I can't find the Utility.
Please advice what to do.

Back
Top Bottom