Software FracPad III - iOS/Android/Mac/Win Editor for the Axe-Fx II/XL/XL+, AX8/FX8, Axe-Fx III and FM3/FM9

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
IMO it almost has more purpose for the ax8 than a midi keyboard. Most are bus powered via usb and you've got cables going anyhow. But with the AX8 on the floor powered, one more outlet right next to it and your ipad is freely connected :)
I must admit, I find that solution quite clunky. A USB PSU, a loose dongle and USB cable. It would be so much better, if FAS opened up for sysex thru the midi ports, so it could work with the quiccos

I must admit, I find that solution quite clunky. A USB PSU, a loose dongle and USB cable. It would be so much better, if FAS opened up for sysex thru the midi ports, so it could work with the quiccos
Might not even be an option depending on how they designed it I will be using a camera Adapter with my iPad 3 since I have it already. I kind rather buy the Yamaha then buy a camera adapter for my iPhone 7+

I don't know, but MIDI Designer doesn't need a MIDI interface to work over a WIFI network... I think the RTP protocol is in built to iOS... so would it be possible to control AxeFX via the WIFI network... I already do this for controlling my DAW from iPad.

connectivity would be
iPad -> WiFi -> Windows PC (running RTP) -> Audio I/F (with midi) -> AxeFX

the last "hop" between Audio I/F and AxeFx is plain old Midi Cabling.

Possible?

I'd be happy to test if it hasn't been done.

I don't know, but MIDI Designer doesn't need a MIDI interface to work over a WIFI network... I think the RTP protocol is in built to iOS... so would it be possible to control AxeFX via the WIFI network... I already do this for controlling my DAW from iPad.

connectivity would be
iPad -> WiFi -> Windows PC (running RTP) -> Audio I/F (with midi) -> AxeFX

the last "hop" between Audio I/F and AxeFx is plain old Midi Cabling.

Possible?

I'd be happy to test if it hasn't been done.
Maybe . Fracpad uses iOS CoreMidi, so if coremidi allows that it may work . . .

Might not even be an option depending on how they designed it I will be using a camera Adapter with my iPad 3 since I have it already. I kind rather buy the Yamaha then buy a camera adapter for my iPhone 7+
I think, I read in this thread that Al said, AX8 used to be able to receive sysex thru the midi port.

I also already have the camera adapter kit - But then again. I also have a Windows tablet that runs AX8edit. So the app only takes away the need to carry an extra tablet - I still need to carry a stupid cable with an adapter.

I think we need a thread that outlines this wireless option. Because even after reading this whole thread I'm still not 100% sure I can use this wireless with my XL or if it's just Ax8. So maybe Al you can post an exact how to on the front page. I know you gave use the wired options but I have to think if the is a wireless Bluetooth option lots of people will want that. We (I ) just need to know exactly each thing I need to buy.

Awesome work. Am definitely going to consider this purchase ... will need to get me some iPad/Midi (Camera USB) interface though. XMas is coming ...

Wireless midi info:
For the Axe Fx II XL you want the Yamaha MD- BT01. Been researching all day, this is the best/ most reliable I've found.

So let me see if I have this all figured out.

We need the app of course.
Yamaha MD-BT01
The midi adaptor that Al linked on the first page the Roland ?
Some type of USB power supply like a phone charger.

Do we still need the camera lightning adaptor? And did I miss anything ?

I'll be running out to grab an OTG adapter for my Shield K1 tomorrow and grab the app then. This is exciting!

One thing you might want to clarify on the Android product page, you say "AxeFx generation 1 are not supported." which might cause confusion for Axe FX 2 Mk 1 owners. If you re-worded it to "AxeFX Standard and Ultra are not supported." it would help eliminate the confusion.

Also, any chance of it getting on the Google Play store? I already have my payment info set up there and it would be way easier to just tap on the "buy" button.

**EDIT Nevermind I see you answered the last question further on than when I posted.

Last edited:
So let me see if I have this all figured out.

We need the app of course.
Yamaha MD-BT01
The midi adaptor that Al linked on the first page the Roland ?
Some type of USB power supply like a phone charger.

Do we still need the camera lightning adaptor? And did I miss anything ?

No, u just need the app and the MD BT 01. The midi ports power the Yamaha.

No, u just need the app and the MD BT 01. The midi ports power the Yamaha.
Ohhhhhh okay gotcha thanks for clearing that up it's helpful. I assume it comes with everything you need then? The midi cables etc

Last edited:
Apologies if this has already been answered, but Fractal updates AxEdit quite often, especially with firmware updates.

How would this work in that record? Would this need the same updates? If so, would this app be updated each time AxEdit is updated?

Thanks!
Brandon

Apologies if this has already been answered, but Fractal updates AxEdit quite often, especially with firmware updates.

How would this work in that record? Would this need the same updates? If so, would this app be updated each time AxEdit is updated?

Thanks!
Brandon

Well I can't speak for Al, but he is pretty active and he updates Fractool so I can't imagine that he would go through all the effort to make this app and then never update it.

Thanks!
Brandon
The app would need updating and he said updates would be free

Thanks for the great app but on my ipad 4 using an alesis iodock 2 the treshold button of the input gate does not show correctly when the parameter is off, it jumps directly to 0db but the Ax Fx 2 Mark 2 it goes correctly to the off position

Back
Top Bottom