Software FracPad III - iOS/Android/Mac/Win Editor for the Axe-Fx II/XL/XL+, AX8/FX8, Axe-Fx III and FM3/FM9

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
Whoever tries the mipuc let us know if it connects without the extra app pretty please.

I just want to make some comments/tell my story of the new Frac Pad 1.0 app after playing with it last night.

I've been using an 2012 Lenovo Yoga 13 (touch screen model) as a Windows 10 tablet style controller for my Axe FX II XL+. On this computer Axe Edit works perfectly fine and is familiar, and also enables me to integrate soft synths via my DAW (Ableton Live) all with smooth and simple USB connectivity. But I've been slowly moving away from that rig and going to the Apple side. iOS/Mac OS devices afford some benefits to musicians in terms of simplicity of setup. The idea of running all the synth stuff in the background while having a ported version of Axe Edit on an iPad next to me on a music stand or anywhere for that matter (had a spare one lying about) was just too good to pass up so I bit the bullet and threw down US$39.99 for the Frac Pad 1.0 App. I should add that I've been using various iOS apps and controller devices over bluetooth to control soft synths in my DAW and so expected that to be possible with Frac Pad also (although not explicitly stated in anything I've read here).

After purchasing the app and attempting to connect I was frustrated. My iPad Mini was connected and visible as a Bluetooth device in the MIDI Studio on the Macbook Pro. However the app would neither connect to the 'Network Session 1' nor 'Macbook Pro Bluetooth' I/Os. Other MIDI apps were visibly transmitting as normal but Frac Pad 1.0 wouldn't even connect to sources.

So, I broke out a USB midi interface and a camera kit as suggested here and went the direct route. Wow! It connected! Frac Pad began to read info from my Axe but once completed the data was FUBAR. There were strange characters in the patch names and none of the actual blocked effects routing showed up; they were all empty. Mind you, this was using the suggested connection method. "No worries" I thought since Apple have a pretty simple refund process. I'd already wasted time on it and was thinking of past efforts like AxePad etc. that came and went and rarely worked and sucked either time, money, or both for ultimately nothing.

I decided to test a little more before giving up. I abandoned the USB MIDI interface and reconnected the iPad to the MacBook Pro via BT as previously (Using Midimitter). Only this time I set up a Mac OS app called 'MIDI Patchbay' and instructed it to send the BT MIDI OUT from the iPad to the AXE FX MIDI IN and data from the AXE FX MIDI OUT to the BT MIDI IN. Bingo! Now as soon as I set the I/O on Frac Pad 1.0's opening screen the reading of data from the AXE FX commenced, completed and displayed beautifully (much faster than over the 5pin MIDI Interface might I add). I was sitting on the other side of my studio space using the iPad wirelessly. It really worked perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised.

The app itself is a pleasure to use, almost a smooth as Axe Edit. No criticisms at this stage though I haven't really dug deep.

Great job, AlGrenadine. I'm still not sure why Frac Pad 1.0 wouldn't work properly over the 5pin USB MIDI interface (iConnectivity MIO) but I'm really glad it works wirelessly over BT with the Macbook. If you use an anchored laptop in your setup (like I do) and you have a spare iPad lying around I'd certainly recommend Frac Pad 1.0 as a way to edit/control your Axe FX in a manner far more simple than using the front panel access of the Axe FX itself.

BTW, I also have an MFC101 connected over FAS and both it and the iPad devices work seamlessly together. I'm happy as a pig in Mud right now :)

Edited: The next step will be to see if I can get it to work the same way with the WIN 10 Yoga 13 Ultrabook so I'll have a backup in case of computer failure etc. Not much idea about MIDI over Bluetooth on that platform though.

Last edited:
Thanks, i guess it has something to do with "iConnectivity MIO"... It was sucessfully tested with Roland UM-One and iRig2. (And if it works on the same device thru BT it shows the app is not culprit)

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed already...but I have a unique issue.

I am using the MIDI out of my axe fx xl+ to use the MFC101 via faslink to control my tc helicon voicelive touch 2 and the option MFC ECHO to MIDI OUT is "on'

When I connect my Yamaha md-bt01 I have to turn this option off to get fracpad to work.

Is there a way to work around this? I would like to be able to use the MFC to control the VL touch and use the Yamaha to utitlize FracPad.

I just ordered a midi solutions thru box to try but I don't think that will solve my issue.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed already...but I have a unique issue.

I am using the MIDI out of my axe fx xl+ to use the MFC101 via faslink to control my tc helicon voicelive touch 2 and the option MFC ECHO to MIDI OUT is "on'

When I connect my Yamaha md-bt01 I have to turn this option off to get fracpad to work.

Is there a way to work around this? I would like to be able to use the MFC to control the VL touch and use the Yamaha to utitlize FracPad.

I just ordered a midi solutions thru box to try but I don't think that will solve my issue.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Is the FracPad option "I use MFC101 and MIDI ports" checked ?

But you must be aware that enabling MFC ECHO OUT is not officially supported, it will slow down midi transfers a lot and may lead to other unexpected behavior.

I was having some trouble last night using it on my iphone with Q 6.0 using the MD BT01. Basically i was able to switch presets, scenes, bypass fx blocks, tuner..etc. But as soon as I'd click on a block to edit, none of the parameters worked or were showing the current values. Basically everything was at 0. No mfc connected. I'll do more trouble shooting tonight hopefully.

Just thought I'd share.

I was having some trouble last night using it on my iphone with Q 6.0 using the MD BT01. Basically i was able to switch presets, scenes, bypass fx blocks, tuner..etc. But as soon as I'd click on a block to edit, none of the parameters worked or were showing the current values. Basically everything was at 0. No mfc connected. I'll do more trouble shooting tonight hopefully.

Just thought I'd share.
Verify the MFC ECHO is off

Using the Yamaha UD BT adapter bluetooth, I'm getting some weird behavior on IPad Air two. Trying to adjust reverb amount I can ususally get only a hundred percent or zero. It's super hard to dial in a useful value. Also, none of the patch names are showing up in the list. I see the name when I'm in the patch, but when I'm in the list I just see numbers with names completely blank.

Using the Yamaha UD BT adapter bluetooth, I'm getting some weird behavior on IPad Air two. Trying to adjust reverb amount I can ususally get only a hundred percent or zero. It's super hard to dial in a useful value. Also, none of the patch names are showing up in the list. I see the name when I'm in the patch, but when I'm in the list I just see numbers with names completely blank.
Yes that's the bugs i'm facing too. The ud doesn't receive all the sysex data...
Can you try with your md?

Got my UD today and when trying to copy amp x to amp y on my iPhone seven it mad both amps the 59 guy with everything set to 0. Also when switching presets it kept wanting to change. There is a bit of latency vs using a USB cable mighty also be due to the fact that since this is a smaller screen it literally has to change screens to display more info.

Yes, older Android don't support midi. . .

Have you see this app - TouchDAW? Works well on my old Android tablet. Pretty amazing app, Emulates a Mackie Control One, DAW MIDI control surface plus some other pretty cool functions.

No argument meant, just thought you might find it interesting if you're not already aware of it.

Back
Top Bottom