FR speaker questions

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
So, I'm new to the realm of FR monitors, and have questions:

What methods do FRFR users use to dial out boominess that can occur?

I'm trying to learn how to use the LOW and HI cut in PG2 ot cab block. That makes sense to me since real guitar speaks aren't full range. Seems like most settings in the cab block don't have "real world" adjustments.

What adjustments do other users make to get more realism from the amp models and cab IRs?

EQ, it's the most powerful tone shaper in the little black box. Read as much as you can on how to use them and you will find that it doesn't take much to tame different problems. I mainly use the EQ in the amp block but I also pull down 31-12dB and 63Hz-6dB in the global as I have no need to produce those freqs.or their harmonics, of course this will differ from user to user. There are numerous ways to achieve a good result within the Axe. I think a lot of it will depend on the FR solution you are using the room and placement, somewhat like a real cab with respect to lower freqs.

If you want to try to get more realism from IRs/FRFR, use the low and hi cut parameters on the CAB block, like you mentioned. I usually set my low cut to around 70Hz, and hi cut to around 8KHz. If you do that in the amp block, it will affect other things like drive, etc.

I low cut starting at 120 and go up from there. Needless to say not all frfr units are the same and may require more cutting. Just turn that knob slowly till it sounds the way you want

in my experience the "boomy" zone is often to find in the 125 - 250Hz area. That said, you have to increase lo-cut till you kill also wanted punch and bottem end. If that`s the case, try instead a PEQ and sweep with default Q through the band, till you find the Boomy zone. Try to center it and inverse the gain from +12 to -12 or so ... finetune by higher Q-factor (decrease the bandwidth of the filter)...

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies. I have some work ahead of me. Looking forward to the process of dialing in the sound.

Back
Top Bottom