Found A Great Tone-Match Video Today (John Petrucci/Mesa Mark V Content)

Wow! Thanks for the video. I must say, it blows me away how close many of you and other players are coming to these tones with the TM feature in the AFX. Something must be seriously wrong with me, because I've been trying to tone match my amp and other recordings for awhile now and I truly can't get results like this at all.

If there is someone local on Long Island, NY that is good at this and would like to help out with some tutoring, I'd be happy to compensate for your time. I'd really like to understand the AFX better, but having a tough time with something that seems as simple as tone matching. Ugh. :(

Again, thanks for the video. Inspiring, I must say.

Something must be seriously wrong with me, because I've been trying to tone match my amp and other recordings for awhile now and I truly can't get results like this at all.....

As far as matching recordings, one thing I'll suggest (besides use high quality sources that are guitar only for matching) that doesn't always get mentioned, is try not to use a source that consists of single note/lead guitar playing. I have always gotten much better results matching a clip of chords/rhythm playing than from one of a guitar solo. Guitar solo matches for me have always came out sounding weird and unusable.

Another is to try and play exactly the same thing (or as close as you can play it) for your "Local Source", as what is being played in the "Reference Source" recording that you are trying to match. So for example, if you are trying to match the opening of Van Halen's "You Really Got Me", play that the correct way as your "Local Source" and just don't strum random chords in a different key and expect a spot on match.

Funnily enough I did not even notice it went A/B during the video, thought it was Axe-FX and I was waiting for the other part to play, then the end screen came up with the A/B timestamps ... to sum it up, I could not tell which was which

Back
Top Bottom