Forum Section Idea - Support vs Discussion

Even if a support Forum was added, nothing would change though and here is why;

There is already a support section http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/71214-please-use-official-support-channel.html

Most people simply don't care........ and will always just post in general because "it gets more traffic." And the trolls will troll no matter where the posts are, cause all they do is sit there refreshing their collection of site's all day looking for it... what a life lol....

What really needs to be done IMO is for FAS to ask people to just stop and respect one another, and after that warning start banning people.

and Reddit.... just no...

I think part of the problem is so many people post their questions in the Axe-FX 2 discussion just because it's the busiest sub forum. I don't think the user support sub forum is a bad idea, but you'll still see people posting where they think they'll get the most eyes on their post.

I think this is a great idea. This is kind of the gist on the Facebook page, but with the internet being what it is, things get lost in translation.

Even if a support Forum was added, nothing would change though and here is why;

There is already a support section http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/71214-please-use-official-support-channel.html

Most people simply don't care........

that's for the official support channel, which people definitely use, and which we forum members have no idea when it is being used. it's not part of the forum at all.

i'm talking about a way to possibly improve what we already have, a forum member/user-based support section. it already happens, but it's mixed up with Discussion threads. i truly believe separating those two will help everyone out tremendously.

I think part of the problem is so many people post their questions in the Axe-FX 2 discussion just because it's the busiest sub forum. I don't think the user support sub forum is a bad idea, but you'll still see people posting where they think they'll get the most eyes on their post.

if the "regulars" and people who normally help only reply to support requests posted in the Support sub-forum, it will naturally work out well. people go to the Axe II discussion forum for everything because people answer everything posted there. if we stop answering those questions in the Discussion section, then the questions will drift to the Support forum naturally, where they will be answered. then the Discussion type threads will be easier to recognize.

we can do the same for dealing with the same questions all the time as well. instead of typing new responses, post links to the previously answered thread (and closing the new question will help tremendously).

it's all up to us. the way we act and react to things shapes the forum and teaches new users what to do to get recognized. if it gets created, i would love to help moderate just that forum. i think providing links to previous answers and closing up the new repetitive questions will keep things better organized and easier to navigate. imagine if every thread in a sub-forum was actually a different topic!

I would like to propose and request the addition of a new section on the forum called Support.

Many times here, innocent support requests become side-tracked due to discussion of opinion and other things that have nothing to do with actually helping out the OP.

A new section called Support would be solely for asking questions and for fact-based support and troubleshooting answers to help that question. Due to this "rule," these threads can be more heavily moderated to keep other discussion out of the threads and to keep them on topic. Furthermore, if you aren't sure of the answer you are providing, or aren't asking a question that moves the support effort forward, do not post an answer that is wrong or inaccurate, thus leading to more questions and confusion.

The new section could be titled something like "Unofficial support" or "Support from Forum Members" or something like that to indicate that it isn't actual FAS Support answering the questions.

All other current Forum sections can stay as is and can be for discussion, postulation, polls, opinion-based talk, etc. But if you want answers to specific problems or even general questions, the Support area would be used for no nonsense, no BS answers to actually solve the questions without side-tracked arguing.

There are many questions buried in the Axe-Fx II Discussion forum. Many go unanswered because they aren't seen or because they get side-tracked. Keeping a section solely for these types of questions will keep things organized and easier to find.

There doesn't even need to be a separation among Axe-II, MFC, etc. I think, since many things are used together anyway. Even AX8, FX8, Axe-Fx II could be all in the same forum to start.

If this gets created, I will participate a lot in it. If it isn't created, I think I will help people out via PM or other methods, as helping out in the Discussion forums lately turns into opinion-based arguments, which clutter up the actual help. It is tiring and frustrating to "fight" people when simply trying to help someone.

Thanks for the consideration. I think it will help the FAS Community greatly.

Chris, I think that would be a tough line to draw.

Perfect example is the 8 page thread about new owner and the "fizz" How can you possibly stop opinions from getting in the thread - after all, he is sort of asking for help, but the fizz is also a matter of "opinion" obviously.
So.............Just sayin.

Chris, I think that would be a tough line to draw.

Perfect example is the 8 page thread about new owner and the "fizz" How can you possibly stop opinions from getting in the thread - after all, he is sort of asking for help, but the fizz is also a matter of "opinion" obviously.
So.............Just sayin.

It is a tough line. But to me, that's a discussion, not a tech support request. But then again, I believe that the fizz is a matter of preference and tone creation, not a bug. It would ultimately be up to a moderator to place that thread in the appropriate place, just as it is now.

Having a few tough decisions here and there should be be a reason to not try a support section though. :)

If this comes to pass, your first thread should be a sticky on how to use the Wiki & search bar. Seriously.

Followed by a brief statement on how the sub forum is NOT a place to ask "does the AxeFx sound like real amps cuz it's a lot of money and stuffs and I can go buy a used 6505 for like $600 off this meth junkie I know cuz he has tha hookup on some 5 finger discounts if you know what I'm sayin and stuffs."

Actually, can we just make that thread for the regular Axe II sub forum while we're at it?

...if there's one thing Kemper got right, it was limiting access to the bulk of their forum to registered owners with a serial number. Anyone can see, owners can post, would-be-owners can only post the kind of shit we see over, and over, AND OVER in a limited area.

Last edited:
Is there truly a problem with "real" support questions going unanswered? It seems to me these are answered very quickly with little "noise". The problem with a Support vs Discussion split is that the line between these is very blurred, which means someone has to define where that line is and then has to police it to move stuff around and delete OT posts, etc. (Not sure how people will react to having their posts deleted, if they genuinely believe they were contributing to a topic.) I agree that some threads get swamped with off topic replies, eg the recent one about perceived sound quality via IEM, but there's no guarantee this won't happen with a "support" forum - unless it is moderated much more heavily than is the case today.

If the current system is really such a mess (which I don't think is the case), and if I were FAS, I would consider moving to a registered user one-to-one ticket system*, and leave the forums as second tier "community" discussion.

* This does exist, I guess, via the "Official Support" system. So, if the OP's idea is adopted there would be three levels of support. I'm not sure people would understand the difference between the official system and the proposed new Support forum. Again, it all comes down to definitions, the role of mods, and the self-restraint of users.

However, to add to a point Rotti raised earlier, a "pre sales" or "pre purchase" sub-forum may be useful.

Back
Top Bottom